Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Spiral Knights: Blast Network
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 3176]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects

MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#1  Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
I don't know if this is worthy a thread but This thing annoyed me to the point that I have to vent at something.

Spiral Knights is a RPGMMO which has the gameplay of a 2D birds-eye style game. You choose your own knight, customize it and play with it on missions to reach the core of the planet you are stranded in, where the stratus of the planet changes everyday.

Now, on to the main topic. This game features a Player vs Player mechanism divided in two modes. LockDown is the basic and standard arena fight and then we have Blast Network.

Blast Network requires you to... play Bomberman. In a very stupid and silly way. How so? Let's see:
First of all the powerups are the same as in a classic Bomberman game: Bomb UP, Speed UP and Blast UP (they had a Health UP which was removed)
What is annoying is how they stack: Bomb and SPeed UP stack to 5 but Blast UP? Oh, it stacks to an unnecessary 15! And none of the available rings that I've seen so far is that vast so this is the first thing that annoys me.

The second thing is the bomb placement. The game already has bombs to use (which have to be charged before using...) but the drawback is that there is a delay to place the bomb which makes it hard to dodge enemy attacks because you cannot throw it.
And yet they did the exact same thing in this pvp mode where you need to have strong reflexes to dodge the bombs! I don't know what these people have in their heads but that frame of a second is what separate life and death! (Although I might be a bit of a ragequitter because I haven't heard anybody complain about it)

This is a video of the gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox_wirMbfz4
And the Spiral Knights Wiki entry: http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Blast_Network

Anyway, I feel better now. I want to hear your opinions. They do admit that this game "is based loosely on the Bomberman game series by Hudson Soft."
Loosely in terms of not having much to do with it... I mean, if you are making a Bomberman clone then do it proprely, if not then do it with originality.

So, what do you think?
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 am  Reply with quote + 
To be fair, they probably decided to make the Bomberman mini-game after their game was already out, using basically the existing bomb mechanics. That kind of secondary mechanic use is never going to turn out right. I didn't ever play it though, because I already knew that I wouldn't enjoy Bomberman with their movement mechanics, but I can't complain for them doing it really.

OOO has yet to find true gold since Puzzle Pirates, though (which is pretty high on my list of all time games, top MMO anything for sure). Spiral Knights was fun, but nothing compared to it's inspirations, and unless it's been revamped to crazy degrees, it's random generation is pretty dull. Bang Howdy was fun, but the idea needed polish and balance, and by the time the problems showed up, the project was abandoned (most likely due to lack of interest).
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
Loosely? Judging from the first two minutes I watched of that video, that mode looks like a total ripoff of the Bomberman franchise. I played a little of Spiral Knights once just to get some Steam holiday achievement and I was not impressed. That footage footage didn't help, but at least that looked more fun than whatever I did.
Bombertrainee

Post#4  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Despite the Bombercopy, the game itself is quite good. The only thing that bothers me is the use of "Energy", for use in elevators to change depth, alchemy, and reviving yourself (no matter the mode)

Ah by the way, in the actual game the bombs obviously don't work like that. And the characters carry their bombs above their head. (somehow, whenever I am charging a bomb, I always remind myself of Bomberman 64)
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've had a lot of fun with Spiral Knights, I haven't played blast network (is it a new implementation? or did i just not look in the right places) but that footage doesn't look too bad

It still feels like Spiral Knights, that much is clear with it bothering you to use energy to revive, so the whole thing plays a little differently, if you have enough energy, gameplay feels a lot different, there will be more risk taking and less conservative behaveure.

Rip-off is the wrong word to use, the gameplay has been based around Bomberman but its very much 'Spiral Knights does Bomberman' as opposed to 'Spiral knights practically is bomberman', the core feel is still Spiral Knights

On account that the actual Bomberman franchise seems to have been mothballed, things like this should be appreciated. It states that its based off Bomberman, thats better than disregarding the game style's legacy completely. If little implementations like this were to cease, the franchise is completely dead
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#6  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's in the colloseum area. Just click on that button and it shows you LockDown and Blast Network.

Actually the thing that really bothers me is that they didn't emulate Bomberman that well, first with the bomb setting delay, and then with the Fire Up that stacks to 15 while the other two only go to 5 (then again if Bomb Up went to 15 it would be insane with spammers everywhere). And yeah, the energy revive, which takes away the risk. However a kill is a kill, and it counts for the score.

Not to mention that the power-ups drop randomly.

It may be just me, but it feels that they are making a joke out of Bomberman with these strange alterations. Then again, I may just be showing my hate for it. Spiral Knigths is a fun game to play regardless.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
The alterations are there to stop it being seen as an unimaginative copy, its good that a few new ideas are tried out

Firepower may go up to 15 but i doubt anyone stays alive long enough to get up to that, and stay there for any amount of time, i really need to give this a shot at some point
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1511s
Index - Back to Top