Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Super Mario Bros. Crossover
[Replies: 9]  [Views: 4011]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

WarioMan3K
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm kinda surprised no one ever thought of saying anything about Super Mario Bros. Crossover here, but I might as well do it anyway because I felt like it.

Now before I begin, I assume plenty of you have already played the crossover fangame itself on the Exploding Rabbit website. But in case you haven't, here's a link below if you're interested in trying it out. You can also look up some interesting tidbits while you're playing the game in said website.

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Basically, it's an unofficial crossover version of the famous-as-ever Super Mario Bros. from NES, created way back in April 2010 by Jay Pavlina. You could play as any of the available characters from other games, each with their own abilities and restrictions. For example, Bill Rizer is the only character out of the rest of the playable cast, who cannot pick up a Mushroom; he retains his one-hit weakness like from the Contra series.

Over the past two and a half years, it's had occasional updates which give the fangame a little more variety, such as map skins, and alternative palettes for each character. But like I said, feel free to give the fangame a try! You may also leave a comment here just like any other topic in this forum, such as what you liked or what you didn't like about said game.

Oh, and as a friendly warning to those who may be familiar with Super Mario Bros., but new to the crossover fangame itself: only Mario and Luigi can jump on the enemies' heads, whereas everybody else cannot. Remember this.

"It is GOOD day to be giant man!" ~Heavy Weapons Guy

"What is Bill Rizer? It is just the name of a single entity who has been gone for centuries." ~Master Contra
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 am  Reply with quote + 
I knew of it, it just didn't seem like anything that I'd be spreading the word to forums about. Just like I didn't have a post on FTL, or that Antichamber is coming out on the morrow. Mostly, I don't start topics on games at all, because there is interesting games by the royal ton. If I think about it, I do mention things in the games topic, but I usually don't.
WarioMan3K
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 am  Reply with quote + 
Okay. I know the crossover fangame's been out for almost 3 years, but I only felt like mentioning it here because I told HienFan a bit about it last night on Skype.

"What is Bill Rizer? It is just the name of a single entity who has been gone for centuries." ~Master Contra
legato
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:52 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah I've played this! It's interesting to see other NES characters break into the world of Mario. I especially like how they adapt the characters to the physics of the Mario world, very cool!

I wonder if they'll ever be another update, or if they'll finish that other game their working on.
WarioMan3K
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:03 am  Reply with quote + 
I think they've probably done enough on SMBC for now, since their main focus is on Super Retro Squad.

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
Super Retro Squad and SMC are the same game though, SRS is just his idea of how to gain rights over the game (so he can sell it, or whatever). Problem of course being, that his game is too derivative for that to really work. If he wants his own game he'll have to design one, from his own feeling of good mechanics. Once he starts selling the thing, I think he's in more danger of a CAD then he ever was before, as he'll be marketing a obvious clone, primarily through the use of a clone with official characters.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
I always thought Super Mario Bros. Crossover was pretty cool, but Super Retro Squad pisses me off. It's common for games to inspire other game or for a game to rip off aspects of a game, but the entire game sounds like it's just going to be a massive ripoff of many people's work. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact Super Retro Squad is a game designed for a commercial release. Hell, it's already gotten $53,509 thanks to its kickstarter page.
Bomberdude

Post#8  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:11 am  Reply with quote + 
http://www.explodingrabbit.com/news/super-mario-bros-crossover-3-0-released

The latest version of Super Mario Bros. Crossover was recently released as we speak, folks! It now features the levels from Hudson Soft's "Super Mario Bros. Special", in addition to the original 32 from the NES classic itself.

MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#9  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
Makes me wonder why haven't they added Bomberman to the cast XD

I've played the previous version and it was good. I played the next version after that and it was still good. Now... it's pretty much the same as the previous version, but the interface is more user-friendly. And I love the new map skin packs. Especially the Castlevania one. That one is so cool.
WarioMan3K
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:33 am  Reply with quote + 
I think they once planned on adding Bomberman to the cast, but scrapped it, as far as I've read on their SMBC wiki site.

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1744s
Index - Back to Top