BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Hideo Kojima insists that Japan does not need West success.
[Replies: 4]  [Views: 1133]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 am  Reply with quote + 
The article wrote:
"Do we really need to succeed worldwide?" he asked. "That's what I'm really wondering about. Everyone talks about overseas, overseas, but nobody's really thinking about what needs to be done if we want to succeed. We get obsessed with thinking about worldwide because we've had previous success with games and anime worldwide, but none of those successes matter nowadays," he went on.

"When you're making a game, it doesn't matter what nationality the team is -- I think there was a lack of understanding among Japanese developers on that issue. It all comes down to the team you have. Even if I brought in the best developer in the world, it won't result in anything if nobody around him understands what he says," said Kojima.

Source

I love this man. He's a genius and speaks the truth so well. Seriously, this is why the man is so successful, he knows what he's doing!

He's basically saying that Japanese game developers do not need to look to the West to make good games and that they are trying way too hard for "worldwide" success. Do they even really need such "success"?

I don't think so, and neither does he. You all probably already know my stance on "westerization," so I'll cut it short. People loves Japanese games the way they are, both Eastern and Western audiences alike. Just focus on making a good game instead of trying to make a "worldwide successful" one and game developers will be fine.

Your thoughts?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#2  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
I can agree, I had seen too many games get ruined due to game developers trying to appeal to all nations by westernizing it, thus killing the games story and plot in the process.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
As far as I can tell, the US has terrible taste in video games, Japanese video games are about the only ones I like.

Sadly other then a few genres Japanese video games have gotten much much worse over time.

Oh yes, must remember to note, indy isn't included in that, and indy games from all countries are better then mainstream games.
Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#4  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
As far as I can tell, the US has terrible taste in video games, Japanese video games are about the only ones I like.

Sadly other then a few genres Japanese video games have gotten much much worse over time.

Oh yes, must remember to note, indy isn't included in that, and indy games from all countries are better then mainstream games.
I agree, indy developers have more imagination than the big money game developers can shake a stick at any day.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
Birdyfan wrote:
I can agree, I had seen too many games get ruined due to game developers trying to appeal to all nations by westernizing it, thus killing the games story and plot in the process.

This. So much this.

fireball87 wrote:

I can agree that. To me, there are a few interesting Western games out there (StarCraft, Uncharted, Batman: Arkham Asylum), but Japanese games in general capture my interest much more easily.

Yeah. The big names in Japan are getting pretty bad lately (I'm looking at you, Capcom), but the more niche developers still seem to have the right idea (Atlus and NISA continue to bring over good stuff).

(shrugs) Haven't gotten too into indy games at this time, so I wouldn't know. There are some amazing fangames out there though (Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and Super Mario Fusion: Revival, anyone?). Touhou games are fun too.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1481s
Index - Back to Top