Caution to PS3 players - Yellow Light of Death
[Replies: 13]  [Views: 2598]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Users watching this topic: 1  
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:49 am  Reply with quote + 
After about 3 years of the owning and playing my PlayStation 3, about a week ago I ran into a problem. As soon as I turn it on, the system tells me that the hard drive's file system has been corrupted and needs to be restored. I was pretty PO'ed about it, but I figured that since I backed up most of my PS3 data (and I still had my PS2/1 memory cards in tact), I didn't think of it as too much of a big deal. So I let it do its thing until it finished. Only it asks me to restore my hard drive again because the "file system has been corrupted." It does not matter how many times I repeat the process, it just a vicious circle.

Therefore, I believe my PS3 is suffering from the effects of the "Yellow Light of Death." If you're unfamiliar with the YLoD, it's pretty much the PS3 version of the Xbox 360's infamous "Red Ring of Death" problem. In fact, it's more or less the same exact problem. It has something to do with the soldering of the motherboard overheating due to a design flaw to the console. The problem occurs regardless of the model (except possibly the Slim model, but it's too new to tell right now if they don't suffer from the problem). Sony's response to the matter is basically ignoring the issue; if you're out of the 1 year warranty (and more then likely, you are) they offer a "solution" in that for $150 plus tax, Sony can send you a new console with only a 90 day warranty. This article covers this in greater detail then I do.

So needless to say, I'm going to have to wait awhile before I play any more PS3 games. Thankfully, my bro still had both of our PS2s so I'm burrowing one for a while. I find it amusing that the more advanced the technology, the crappier it lasts. You'd expect after shelling at least $300, it'd be built to actually last.

Anyway, if you have a PS3, be warned of this. Remember, it's indiscriminate and doesn't just affect one particular model of PS3. Your console could be on it's last breath and you won't even know it. Back up whatever saves you can as frequently as possible and spread the word if you can.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm still on the PS2... so this doesn't effect me luckily.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
I find it amusing that the more advanced the technology, the crappier it lasts. You'd expect after shelling at least $300, it'd be built to actually last.

Man, I know, right? The first computer my family had was running DOS. And that machine worked for a long, long. I don't know where it is now, and I don't know the last time that it has been turned on, but I would be that it would still work just as fine now as it did back then, because as far as I'm aware, it never broke.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I have my grandfathers hand assembled kit computer from the late 70s, it still works too.
Rapidkirby3k
Bomberbie

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:03 am  Reply with quote + 
Just like the red rings of death, the yellow light of death never affected me at all. However, I do hope that it doesn't happen to me anytime soon. Thanks for the warning!
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 am  Reply with quote + 
Never had any expectations the longevity of SONY hardware after my PSone stopped reading disks two weeks after the warranty expired due to a design flaw where the heat didn't exit the machine properly and warped the components, causing the lazer to point in the wrong direction

I have a slim PS3 and have it propped up with GBA cartridges so it doesn't touch the table in the hope that the extra layer of air may avoid this happening again
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
Man, I know, right? The first computer my family had was running DOS. And that machine worked for a long, long. I don't know where it is now, and I don't know the last time that it has been turned on, but I would be that it would still work just as fine now as it did back then, because as far as I'm aware, it never broke.

fireball87 wrote:
I have my grandfathers hand assembled kit computer from the late 70s, it still works too.

My bro and I's older game consoles still work. Granted, some of them require struggle to get to work (the NES, in particular), but they at least work and you can play their games. None of that "intended failing" stuff back then.

I'd really like it if Sony had a better plan for this stuff, cuz I don't have $150 plus on me, just to get a refurbished console that may just crap out on me again a couple of months later. I could possibly try fixing it myself, the more economical option, but seeing as I've never done smoldering before, I'm not exactly confident in my skills. lol

Rapidkirby3k wrote:
Just like the red rings of death, the yellow light of death never affected me at all. However, I do hope that it doesn't happen to me anytime soon. Thanks for the warning!

No problem. Just trying to spread the word of this.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
Never had any expectations the longevity of SONY hardware after my PSone stopped reading disks two weeks after the warranty expired due to a design flaw where the heat didn't exit the machine properly and warped the components, causing the lazer to point in the wrong direction

Yeah, our PS2's are starting to have this problem with our PS2 games. With the one I'm using, I'm figuring out what games I can play that work other then DMC3. lol Kind of annoyed I can't play RE4 or Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne without them screwing up, but oh well. I can deal I guess.

Hammer wrote:
I have a slim PS3 and have it propped up with GBA cartridges so it doesn't touch the table in the hope that the extra layer of air may avoid this happening again

I personally don't recommend doing this. Unless you really don't care about those GBA games.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
The only thing that has died on me is my Nintendo 64. :(

Say does the Wii have any issue like this?
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
My bro and I's older game consoles still work. Granted, some of them require struggle to get to work (the NES, in particular), but they at least work and you can play their games. None of that "intended failing" stuff back then.

The only part on the NES that's likely to get damaged is the pins on the console, and that's cause the side load design was incredibly stupid as far as longevity goes (and pointless in general). I'm now having the opposite issue though, my game carts pins are starting to be harder and harder to get a good connection on even with a fairly new set of nes pins. I probably should look into how to repair that.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#10  Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:22 am  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
The only thing that has died on me is my Nintendo 64. :(

Say does the Wii have any issue like this?

Nah, Nintendo's hardware are well known for being made by this mythical mineral called Nintendium, which gives it its lasting durability.

On a serious note, the Wii doesn't have any issues like that, in fact it's very rare for any Nintendo console to have glaring hardware flaws in general (and they'll sometimes even repair it for you for free if any shows up).
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am  Reply with quote + 
N64's are rugged enough, their analog sticks on the other hand have terrible durability, so very hard to get a good set of controllers that aren't too lose to provide the proper experience.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#12  Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
I know, it was one of the things I had in mind with I posted my last message(That and the shoulder buttons issue with the DSLite).
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#13  Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
BlueBomberman wrote:
I know, it was one of the things I had in mind with I posted my last message(That and the shoulder buttons issue with the DSLite).

What's the shoulder buttons issue? Also, I do remember one of my N64 controllers having the analog stick fall off. It was really uncomfortable using it afterwards >.< (it led to so many sore thumbs)

And I think I had another controller have a non-working L button. No more taunting in Smash Bros. :cry: 
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#14  Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
The only thing that has died on me is my Nintendo 64

Ironic as it doesn't have any moving parts ^_^

And the GBA games are next to worthless, not my favourites so there being put to better use under the thing than anything else

Weirdly, the household's oldest piece of kit is an old Apple Macintosh Performa 5200, a damn ugly piece of kit and unanimously agreed to be the worst mac of all time (i could bang on about why, the components that went in it see were horrendous). Needless to say it has a pretty high failure rate but our one is still whirring away
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1748s
Index - Back to Top