Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#41  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Warning, big ass post.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the only reason Duo was put in was 1) to promote Mega Man 8, and 2) to add an additional playable character in the game. Because of the nature of the game, he really didn't need to make an appearance in the game. He was thrown in to add more spice to the original game's formula and separate the sequel from the original more easily.

Yes, however none of that necessarily implies his story to be inconsequential.

I don't disagree with this. I'm mostly trying to point out that he was only really added to make the game more colorful and give the player more options.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
I personally don't think a Mega Man fighting game should be considered canon, or it should at least be taken very lightly. I sure wouldn't take these game's plots very seriously, as the games didn't even have a real plot as far as I know. It's just an even more basic and watered down version of "Wily's up to no good again, stop him".

Different game mechanics do not equate to non canon. And though the game may start out with only as much plot as Megaman 2 did, the multiple endings are much more elaborate than nearly anything else we had in the classic series.

Whether it's a fighting game or a racing game or a party game or whatever wasn't my point. I'm just saying that, since it isn't played anything like the original games at all, I'd take the game's story very lightly and I wouldn't really consider what happens in these games as canon. If anything, I'd say that maybe what's revealed in the endings are canon, but not nessicarly the rest of the game itself.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Really, the only thing that's revealed in these games is that Zero was made by Wily (although it was hinted at in X4 and X5 covered this in greater detail) and he brought up this "secret project" (and this is just incredibly vague and, as far as we know, it could have just been hinting at a new Mega Man game altogether). And it's just featured in Bass's ending in the second game to boot. So I'm not really following with just how "plot heavy" these games are.

Firstly, this was the first time Protoman and Bass took a really active role in opposing Wily. That, in and of its own, is a significant plot development, especially since Bass was made by Wily. Secondly, you did not mention several important things. Megaman's ending in Power Battles shows us the moment Light realizes he needs to create a robot capable of making its own decisions. Protoman's Ending in Power Fighters reveals he has a fatal flaw that will eventually kill him. And of course, the fact that Duo can sense evil energy from deep space, which we cannot discount as non-canon just because his presence in the game could only be a way to promote MM8 (don't get me wrong, it totally was meant to do that, but as said before it doesn't necessarily have to be only for that and make his story rubbish by default)
Finally, considering that, as you point out, X4 had already revealed a connection between Zero and Wily as well as the Maverick Virus, believing that Wily's other project brought up in the same speech ha makes about Zero is anything but the virus seems excessive caution to me.
All the more so when in Power Battles Wily only decides (like Light decides to make a self determined robot) to make a stronger robot to defeat both Megaman and Bass, whereas in this one, the game with space robot Duo coming back to hunt for Evil Energy, he now has blueprints and also brings up this other project

I haven't played those games in a long time, so my apologies on missing those bits on the endings. Still, did we really need to know when Light decided to make X? Was it really nessicary to reveal that Proto Man has error that will eventually kill him? Did Wily have to tell Bass he was planning on making a robot even more powerful than him (Zero)? Not really. I'm just saying that most of the stuff that was revealed in this game was stuff that, by the time we officially got the game, it was stuff that fans of the series would generally already know of anyway.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Let's face it, Power Fighters/Battle was a fan service game in just about every sense of the term. They are games that were made pretty much exclusively with their fans in mind, and I doubt a lot of non fans would've played this.

And that makes it somehow non-canon? Because it was aimed at the only people that actually care about canon in the first place?

No, but I don't think the games' plot made much of an impact on the MM storyline, if at all. I also doubt that a lot of Mega Man fans played it for the plot in the first place.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
This comparison doesn't really work because, as far as I know, none of the Zelda games are connected in any way besides sharing characters, themes, and settings. So, in a sense, there is no real canon in the Zelda franchise (I hear people have tried making a timeline to connect the games and make sense of it, but it's just a huge mess. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo even said "he's not the same Link", which further nulls any possibility of the games being connected).

Ok, I'm sorry to say but you clearly don't know enough of the subject matter here. It's not that you are obliged to of course, but you can't shoot down my parallel there without that knowledge.
The Zelda series works like this: every one or two games Nintendo makes a new Link that lives in the same world but in a different age than the previous ones. Early games in the series had very loose connections and this is why there's all that timeline theorizing going on. The 3D games, on the other hand, have clear and definite ties to one another. Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker all are tied back to the events of Ocarina of Time, whereas Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks tie in with those of The Wind Waker.
All these connections are set in stone, even though the only games out of those that feature the same Link are respectively Ocarina of Time-Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker-Phantom Hourlgass. Similarly Adventure of Link continues the story of the first Link we've known from where the original Legend of Zelda on NES had left it.
So yeah, Zelda canon is a reality and Nintendo has confirmed several times that they have some big complex document to keep track of it. They apparently prefer to keep it for themselves because they realize a lot of fans continue to be interested in the games also (if not mostly) because they can nerd out over whether Ocarina of Time is still the "Seal War" of A Link to the Past's backstory or not.

I'm not the biggest Zelda fan ever, so I wouldn't know much about these games. I already know that some Zelda games are indeed connected, but I also know that not all of them are (directly connected, I mean). If they all are trully connected as you say (I'm not dismissing what you say, you seem to know more then I do on this), then the connections these games do have isn't really apparent, which is probably why I simply think of them as not being connected (which, in a way, I am correct).

Regulus 777 wrote:
I dunno Duke Serkol, you're pushing all this stuff so much that it sounds to me like every Megaman related thing put out by Capcom HAS to be canon no matter what, in your mindset. Like there's just no possible way that it couldn't be in the slightest despite any possible argument.

I suppose you'd like to inform us all about the great significance of Megaman Soccer and Megaman Battle and Chase as well?

Sometimes companies do make something as a spin off or just for fan service with no original intent of having it canon. Perhaps after the fact they come up with ways to link it together be it for fun or just trying to please people like you amongst the fan base, but it's very possible that somebody at Capcom just said one day, "Hey! Wouldn't Rockman fans just love a Rockman fighting game? Let's make one. Throw in lots of characters! Let's make Protoman Bass etc. playable. It'll make us a lot of money!" and they may have come up with an interesting story for it but was it really intended to be connected? It seems like it was all connected as an afterthought to me.

I dunno, that's just my opinion. As for what I personally believe, as much as I enjoyed the stories of some of the games, particularly some of the X games It's just such a mess between bringing this guy back for this reason and whatever else may happen that doesn't seem to make any sense I just don't really care anymore. I like mega man games cause they are fun to play, have great music and cool looking characters. I'm not too worried about where this complex, plot hole patched, story is going, as long as it still delivers on the other fronts.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dismiss your opinion or anything here. You've provided a great argument but I don't think continuing this discussion is really gonna do much else for us...

If I'm wrong then whatevs. Feel free to continue but I've been watching you guys go back and forth for awhile now and it just seems like you've hit a dead end. Neither of you seem like you're gonna budge.

This pretty much wraps how I feel on the matter as well. I only started getting into this indepth conversation with him because I found this to be thoughtful, insightful, and amusing (in a good way).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#42  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
sounds to me like every Megaman related thing put out by Capcom HAS to be canon no matter what, in your mindset. Like there's just no possible way that it couldn't be in the slightest despite any possible argument.

I suppose you'd like to inform us all about the great significance of Megaman Soccer and Megaman Battle and Chase as well?

I'd say there's quite a big difference between two games in which Megaman fights Wily and his robots and two in which he challenges them to soccer and racing.
Even so, while Soccer's plot was limited to an intro sequence having no ending and no backstory for any of the characters (and thus making it inconsequential concerning storyline and canon), Battle and Chase is quite a different matter. In Battle & Chase each character has motives to be in the race and each have their own ending. Some of these endings are even referenced in the biography cards collected in Megaman & Bass, which would indicate the game is canon. Also it's worth noting that Battle & Chase had a considerably larger amount of dialogue in the Japanese version. The English release cut out two supporting characters entirely (Plum and Rippot/Report).

Regulus 777 wrote:
Sometimes companies do make something as a spin off or just for fan service with no original intent of having it canon. Perhaps after the fact they come up with ways to link it together be it for fun or just trying to please people like you amongst the fan base, but it's very possible that somebody at Capcom just said one day, "Hey! Wouldn't Rockman fans just love a Rockman fighting game? Let's make one. Throw in lots of characters! Let's make Protoman Bass etc. playable. It'll make us a lot of money!" and they may have come up with an interesting story for it but was it really intended to be connected? It seems like it was all connected as an afterthought to me.

I dunno, that's just my opinion.

You'll agree that I'm quite into this stuff right? Then isn't it reasonable to believe that I would have heard it if Capcom's official storyline guides threw the Power games into the non-canon bunch together with Marvel VS. Capcom and Cannon Spike? I'm pretty sure I would know.

Regulus 777 wrote:
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dismiss your opinion or anything here. You've provided a great argument but I don't think continuing this discussion is really gonna do much else for us...

If I'm wrong then whatevs. Feel free to continue but I've been watching you guys go back and forth for awhile now and it just seems like you've hit a dead end. Neither of you seem like you're gonna budge.
Well, currently the only things we were disagreeing about was whether the Power games are canon and if a return of Duo is "crazy talk" or not (which I think is funny since this is a series that introduced robots from space and provided a scientific explanation for ghosts).
If Soniti is fed up with it, I'm okay with dropping the subject.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm just saying that, since it isn't played anything like the original games at all, I'd take the game's story very lightly and I wouldn't really consider what happens in these games as canon. If anything, I'd say that maybe what's revealed in the endings are canon, but not nessicarly the rest of the game itself.

And I honestly don't see why. It's not like the regular games are uber-realistic and this one makes no sense in that context. Megaman has always been about a robot that can respawn by picking up replicas of his own head. Why would skipping the stages and keeping only the boss fights matter towards whether the game is canon or not?

Ah well, in the end it's not really up to us. Capcom has never marked these games as non-canon (unlike others I already mentioned).

Soniti 254 wrote:
I haven't played those games in a long time, so my apologies on missing those bits on the endings.

No problem ^_^

Soniti 254 wrote:
Still, did we really need to know when Light decided to make X?

Maybe not but it helps rule out the idea that Bass stole the plans for X in MM7, it emphasizes the differences between the humanoid robots of the classic series (Megaman, Bass, the robot masters) and the Reploids, as well as explaining the reasoning behind Light's decision to create a robot capable of self determination (so that people like Wily could not reprogram them for evil).

Soniti 254 wrote:
Was it really nessicary to reveal that Proto Man has error that will eventually kill him?

Many fans want to know what happened to classic characters before the X series came along (see "Cataclysm theories"). So far Protoman is the only one to have something that can pass as a concrete answer in the form of that ending.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Did Wily have to tell Bass he was planning on making a robot even more powerful than him (Zero)?

The point isn't that he's telling Bass, rather it is that we get to hear from Wily's mouth that he's started work on Zero and that other project.

Soniti 254 wrote:
No, but I don't think the games' plot made much of an impact on the MM storyline, if at all. I also doubt that a lot of Mega Man fans played it for the plot in the first place.

Even if that was the case, the plot in those games still beats the heaten up MM4-5-6 soup we got in 9 and 10. That's all I'm saying.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm not the biggest Zelda fan ever, so I wouldn't know much about these games.

Thought so, like I said, no problem :happy: 

Soniti 254 wrote:
If they all are trully connected as you say (I'm not dismissing what you say, you seem to know more then I do on this), then the connections these games do have isn't really apparent, which is probably why I simply think of them as not being connected

I've been drawing connections between Zelda games since 1991, so yeah... I'm kind of into that too :wink: 
There are some that appear to be scarcely, if at all, connected to others. Case in point the Oracle games. Some people believe they are connected to ALttP and LA. Others believe it's LA alone and not ALttP and others still believe they are connected to LoZ and AoL. Them Oracle games are pretty crazy that way. In general the placement of most 2D games in relation to the other games in the series is up to debate, but there really is no reason to doubt their canon validity.

Soniti 254 wrote:
This pretty much wraps how I feel on the matter as well. I only started getting into this indepth conversation with him because I found this to be thoughtful, insightful, and amusing (in a good way).

Yup, debating videogame storylines should be done responsibly and for fun only :veryhappy: 
All too often people start large flamewars over subjects that should be solely for entertainment, unfortunately.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#43  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:

I'd say there's quite a big difference between two games in which Megaman fights Wily and his robots and two in which he challenges them to soccer and racing. Even so, while Soccer's plot was limited to an intro sequence having no ending and no backstory for any of the characters (and thus making it inconsequential concerning storyline and canon), Battle and Chase is quite a different matter. In Battle & Chase each character has motives to be in the race and each have their own ending. Some of these endings are even referenced in the biography cards collected in Megaman & Bass, which would indicate the game is canon. Also it's worth noting that Battle & Chase had a considerably larger amount of dialogue in the Japanese version. The English release cut out two supporting characters entirely (Plum and Rippot/Report).

Now this is just absurd. Did Capcom seriously make what should've been a spin-off kart racing game canon? Am I suppose to go and assume that the Mario Kart games are all part of the Mario canon too, in that case? You know what, let's go the whole nine yards and make all of Mario sports games and Mario Partys canon as well!

Duke Serkol wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:

I dunno, that's just my opinion.

You'll agree that I'm quite into this stuff right? Then isn't it reasonable to believe that I would have heard it if Capcom's official storyline guides threw the Power games into the non-canon bunch together with Marvel VS. Capcom and Cannon Spike? I'm pretty sure I would know.

I believe Regulus was just pointing out that they probably just made the game for the sake of making a Mega Man fighting game, then added the story to connect it to the rest of the franchise sometime during development, as an afterthought.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm just saying that, since it isn't played anything like the original games at all, I'd take the game's story very lightly and I wouldn't really consider what happens in these games as canon. If anything, I'd say that maybe what's revealed in the endings are canon, but not nessicarly the rest of the game itself.

And I honestly don't see why. It's not like the regular games are uber-realistic and this one makes no sense in that context. Megaman has always been about a robot that can respawn by picking up replicas of his own head. Why would skipping the stages and keeping only the boss fights matter towards whether the game is canon or not?

Ah well, in the end it's not really up to us. Capcom has never marked these games as non-canon (unlike others I already mentioned).

It's moreso the idea that Wily rebuilt his old robot masters in some kind of attempt to defeat Mega Man and pals that makes me question it's place in the series' story. As I believe I mentioned, it's not once mentioned anywhere in the game why Wily just rebuilt his old robots, rather then make/steal/bribed new ones like he usually does. You can also specifically choose what "sets" of Robot Masters you wanted to fight, but the story is still, more or less, the same regardless of what set you chose.

But yes, since Capcom deemed as officially part of the series story, then I guess it must be canon (although I personally can't fathom why, but that's just my opinion).

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Still, did we really need to know when Light decided to make X?

Maybe not but it helps rule out the idea that Bass stole the plans for X in MM7, it emphasizes the differences between the humanoid robots of the classic series (Megaman, Bass, the robot masters) and the Reploids, as well as explaining the reasoning behind Light's decision to create a robot capable of self determination (so that people like Wily could not reprogram them for evil).

Well, that's cool and all, but I guess he not did consider that these "self aware" robots may want to go and harm other people just for the lulz.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Was it really nessicary to reveal that Proto Man has error that will eventually kill him?

Many fans want to know what happened to classic characters before the X series came along (see "Cataclysm theories"). So far Protoman is the only one to have something that can pass as a concrete answer in the form of that ending.

That's just Proto Man though, it's never shown what happened to the rest of the characters. One can probably safely assume that they just reached their "expiration date" so to speak.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Did Wily have to tell Bass he was planning on making a robot even more powerful than him (Zero)?

The point isn't that he's telling Bass, rather it is that we get to hear from Wily's mouth that he's started work on Zero and that other project.

That's neat if you were a Japanese kid and Power Battle/Fighters just came out, but again fans should already know this by the time the game officially came over here.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Even if that was the case, the plot in those games still beats the heaten up MM4-5-6 soup we got in 9 and 10. That's all I'm saying.

If we are going to compare the MM series story to soup, I'd say that Power Battle/Fighters is a kind of chicken based soup, as is the rest of series, but it has a couple of croutons added in. In other words, it isn't all that different from the rest of 'em.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
If they all are trully connected as you say (I'm not dismissing what you say, you seem to know more then I do on this), then the connections these games do have isn't really apparent, which is probably why I simply think of them as not being connected

I've been drawing connections between Zelda games since 1991, so yeah... I'm kind of into that too :wink: 
There are some that appear to be scarcely, if at all, connected to others. Case in point the Oracle games. Some people believe they are connected to ALttP and LA. Others believe it's LA alone and not ALttP and others still believe they are connected to LoZ and AoL. Them Oracle games are pretty crazy that way. In general the placement of most 2D games in relation to the other games in the series is up to debate, but there really is no reason to doubt their canon validity.

I didn't say that they aren't all connected. I just think it's reasonable to believe that not all of the games are directly connected (as in, it's apparent that it's connected to another game), since not many of them have obvious connections to the other games.

But this is a subject I don't have a lot of knowledge in, so I wouldn't know.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Yup, debating videogame storylines should be done responsibly and for fun only :veryhappy: 
All too often people start large flamewars over subjects that should be solely for entertainment, unfortunately.

Yeah, as long as we avoid the "No, you're totally wrong!" thing and don't call each other names, then we should be fine.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#44  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Now this is just absurd. Did Capcom seriously make what should've been a spin-off kart racing game canon? Am I suppose to go and assume that the Mario Kart games are all part of the Mario canon too, in that case? You know what, let's go the whole nine yards and make all of Mario sports games and Mario Partys canon as well!

You do realize that Waluigi exists almost uniquely through sport and party games, right? :wink: 
Mario and classic Megaman are two cartoonish zany series. I personally don't have a problem with having kart racing games as canon events in them.
Now if they were to try and make a MegamanX kart game canon... that would have me plug my hears and going "Nah-nah-nah-nah!" in the hope it goes away.

Besides with Mario we're talking about a series the main producer of which adamantly refuses to accept elaborate plots for the new games (seriously, Miyamoto has said in interviews that his staff will always try to come up with some new plot as to how Boweser wants to conquer the world and he always cuts it down to "a cake is used to bait Mario/Peach into a trap" or something equally simple).
Really he's been known to treat videogame plots in the same way one would those of porn ("the less the better").

Soniti 254 wrote:
I believe Regulus was just pointing out that they probably just made the game for the sake of making a Mega Man fighting game, then added the story to connect it to the rest of the franchise sometime during development, as an afterthought.

Sadly, that probably can be said of most videogames. It has been officially stated that Skyward Sword will be the first Zelda game in which the plot was not developed last.

Soniti 254 wrote:
It's moreso the idea that Wily rebuilt his old robot masters in some kind of attempt to defeat Mega Man and pals that makes me question it's place in the series' story. As I believe I mentioned, it's not once mentioned anywhere in the game why Wily just rebuilt his old robots, rather then make/steal/bribed new ones like he usually does.

Au contraire! That's nothing new and not at all unexplained!
Wily's habit of putting his old robots back to work has been introduced by the Rockman World games on GameBoy. The first three only bother saying that Wily is using his old robots again, but the fourth actually reveals that the robots Megaman defeats are then put on display in a robot museum, and that's where Wily steals them back from.
We actually get to see the museum twice. The first time was in Megaman7, between the first and latter four robot masters. There Wily is shown stealing GutsMan who later on we fight in his fortress. In the background two more "capsules" can be seen to have been shattered and this is believed to have been foreshadowing for the appearence of CutMan and WoodMan in Megaman8 (Saturn version only, they didn't make the cut for the PS1 version).
The second time we see it, the robot museum serves as the introduction stage of Megaman & Bass. King goes there to steal two of Wily's robot masters from MM8 (TenguMan and AstroMan).
Oh and in case you want to argue against the GameBoy games being canon, I'll just say two words: Megaman Hunters!

Soniti 254 wrote:
You can also specifically choose what "sets" of Robot Masters you wanted to fight, but the story is still, more or less, the same regardless of what set you chose.

That's true. Personally, I like to think that each of the starring characters took care of a different set of robots, but it's also possible that once Wily was defeated and had to retreat he called back the remaning ones.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Well, that's cool and all, but I guess he not did consider that these "self aware" robots may want to go and harm other people just for the lulz.

I imagine he thought of that, but figured at worst there would be factions of free willed robots fighting just as there are factions of free willed humans. Rather he probably had not anticipated a virus sophisticate enough to still succesfully bend the free will of these robots. Or maybe he did and that's what the 30 years of tests on X were all about (so it'd be all Cain's fault for not making the reploids as reliable as X).
Either way, considering that by the time of the Zero series there is only one city left on a world otherwise unhinabitable for humans, I'd say things definitely did NOT work out for the best *lol*

Soniti 254 wrote:
That's just Proto Man though, it's never shown what happened to the rest of the characters. One can probably safely assume that they just reached their "expiration date" so to speak.

Some people speculate that given how Power Fighters provides an explanation as to what becomes of Protoman, the Megaman-Bass ending should also be considered as indication that Megaman and Bass would eventually destroy one another. I don't really subscribe to that idea though.
As for expiration dates, Megaman9 shows that Megaman and Roll don't have any because the law establishing one for robots was passed after their creation (between 9 and the preceding game I think). That's why Light's most recent robots were being scrapped in it while Megaman and Roll remained active. By the end of the game, I think the law is revoked.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I didn't say that they aren't all connected. I just think it's reasonable to believe that not all of the games are directly connected (as in, it's apparent that it's connected to another game), since not many of them have obvious connections to the other games.

That is correct, yes. They all happen in the same universe (barring trips to parallel dimensions such as Majora's Mask) but some are pretty much standalone.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#45  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

You do realize that Waluigi exists almost uniquely through sport and party games, right? :wink: 
Mario and classic Megaman are two cartoonish zany series. I personally don't have a problem with having kart racing games as canon events in them.
Now if they were to try and make a MegamanX kart game canon... that would have me plug my hears and going "Nah-nah-nah-nah!" in the hope it goes away.

Besides with Mario we're talking about a series the main producer of which adamantly refuses to accept elaborate plots for the new games (seriously, Miyamoto has said in interviews that his staff will always try to come up with some new plot as to how Boweser wants to conquer the world and he always cuts it down to "a cake is used to bait Mario/Peach into a trap" or something equally simple).
Really he's been known to treat videogame plots in the same way one would those of porn ("the less the better").

The thing is, with Mario, the games don't really need much of a story. The story is there simply to give the game some background, not at all unlike classic Mega Man. The games are really all about gameplay. If you wanted a Mario game with a somewhat more sophisticated plot, the Mario RPGs have a somewhat stronger plot (all of the Mario RPGs I have played are pretty good, as well).

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
It's moreso the idea that Wily rebuilt his old robot masters in some kind of attempt to defeat Mega Man and pals that makes me question it's place in the series' story. As I believe I mentioned, it's not once mentioned anywhere in the game why Wily just rebuilt his old robots, rather then make/steal/bribed new ones like he usually does.

Au contraire! That's nothing new and not at all unexplained!
Wily's habit of putting his old robots back to work has been introduced by the Rockman World games on GameBoy. The first three only bother saying that Wily is using his old robots again, but the fourth actually reveals that the robots Megaman defeats are then put on display in a robot museum, and that's where Wily steals them back from.
We actually get to see the museum twice. The first time was in Megaman7, between the first and latter four robot masters. There Wily is shown stealing GutsMan who later on we fight in his fortress. In the background two more "capsules" can be seen to have been shattered and this is believed to have been foreshadowing for the appearence of CutMan and WoodMan in Megaman8 (Saturn version only, they didn't make the cut for the PS1 version).
The second time we see it, the robot museum serves as the introduction stage of Megaman & Bass. King goes there to steal two of Wily's robot masters from MM8 (TenguMan and AstroMan).
Oh and in case you want to argue against the GameBoy games being canon, I'll just say two words: Megaman Hunters!

I never had much of a chance at playing the old Gameboy ones and I always figured that most of them were just "retellings" of the games that the robot Masters originated. I do remember a robot museum in 7 and Mega Man and Bass though.

So... Who thought that putting powerful robots on display in a museum was a good idea?

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

I imagine he thought of that, but figured at worst there would be factions of free willed robots fighting just as there are factions of free willed humans. Rather he probably had not anticipated a virus sophisticate enough to still succesfully bend the free will of these robots. Or maybe he did and that's what the 30 years of tests on X were all about (so it'd be all Cain's fault for not making the reploids as reliable as X).
Either way, considering that by the time of the Zero series there is only one city left on a world otherwise unhinabitable for humans, I'd say things definitely did NOT work out for the best *lol*

I suppose that makes sense. Not every person likes to cause harm to others while others do like that kind of thing.

lol Yeah, things definitely did not work out for the humans. Even in the X games there were times when humans were forced underground because of pollution and stuff.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Some people speculate that given how Power Fighters provides an explanation as to what becomes of Protoman, the Megaman-Bass ending should also be considered as indication that Megaman and Bass would eventually destroy one another. I don't really subscribe to that idea though.
As for expiration dates, Megaman9 shows that Megaman and Roll don't have any because the law establishing one for robots was passed after their creation (between 9 and the preceding game I think). That's why Light's most recent robots were being scrapped in it while Megaman and Roll remained active. By the end of the game, I think the law is revoked.

Seeing as Mega Man doesn't really like to destroy other robots, this seems unlikely. Mega Man only fights for peace. If he could, he'd probably try to achieve it some other way.
I think you took my "expiration dates" comment a bit too literally. Perhaps I should have just said that they "lived their lifespans" instead.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#46  Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
The thing is, with Mario, the games don't really need much of a story. The story is there simply to give the game some background, not at all unlike classic Mega Man. The games are really all about gameplay.

I suppose so, but I'm rather bored with the basic "Bowser kidnapped Peach, go save her!" plot.
I liked how the older games would always try to introduce some new spin (like the Koopalings in Mario 3 or Bowser attempting to subdue Dinosaur Land instead of the Mushroom Kingdom in World).

Soniti 254 wrote:
I never had much of a chance at playing the old Gameboy ones and I always figured that most of them were just "retellings" of the games that the robot Masters originated.

The first one does basically sum up as "Wily is at it again" much like MM2, but it throws in the first Megaman Hunter, Enker.
The second one has a particularly weird plot, with Wily going into a peaceful future, kidnapping Megaman and turning him into Quint to fight against present Megaman. The third one has Wily trying to seize the world's energy resources and in the fourth he uses a signal to make robots go nuts all over the place.
The fifth one, as you may know, is completely original (both in terms of plot and enemies/stages).

Soniti 254 wrote:
So... Who thought that putting powerful robots on display in a museum was a good idea?

Good question :hilarious: 

Soniti 254 wrote:
lol Yeah, things definitely did not work out for the humans. Even in the X games there were times when humans were forced underground because of pollution and stuff.

The Earth Crisis of X5 yeah. That was originally intended to be the reason things had gotten so bad in the Zero series. Then Capcom made more X games, ones in which the world was pretty much back to normal, so Inafune had to come up with the Cyber Elf Wars background in Zero 2 to explain the post apocalyptic setting. This is quite the pet peeve for me as well (Inafune was livid about it).

Soniti 254 wrote:
I think you took my "expiration dates" comment a bit too literally. Perhaps I should have just said that they "lived their lifespans" instead.

Ah, I see... well it's possible. We'd have to assume though that their durability was not even close to that of X and Zero. By the time of Command Mission they should be about a hundred years old, meaning that in the Zero series they are pluricentenaries.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#47  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:34 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
The thing is, with Mario, the games don't really need much of a story. The story is there simply to give the game some background, not at all unlike classic Mega Man. The games are really all about gameplay.

I suppose so, but I'm rather bored with the basic "Bowser kidnapped Peach, go save her!" plot.
I liked how the older games would always try to introduce some new spin (like the Koopalings in Mario 3 or Bowser attempting to subdue Dinosaur Land instead of the Mushroom Kingdom in World).

It's still basically the same story though. And most people in general don't play Mario games for the story. I mean, what do you want for a story in a Mario game?

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

The Earth Crisis of X5 yeah. That was originally intended to be the reason things had gotten so bad in the Zero series. Then Capcom made more X games, ones in which the world was pretty much back to normal, so Inafune had to come up with the Cyber Elf Wars background in Zero 2 to explain the post apocalyptic setting. This is quite the pet peeve for me as well (Inafune was livid about it).

Again, that's because Capcom wanted more money to be printed, so they continued making X games even though Inafune wanted the series to end at X5. The more games they make, the harder it's going to be connect them all in a way that still makes sense.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#48  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 am  Reply with quote + 
It is always more entertaining to play a game revolving around some adventure (as is the case of Mario) when it has a compelling story to boot, no matter how kiddy and simplicistic.
But it shouldn't be boring, which it could be by being too repetitive ("been there, done that") or too long in exposition (some people complain that the admittedly rather forced plot expositions in Galaxy were a chore. I didn't feel like that, but I can see why they would).
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#49  Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
It is always more entertaining to play a game revolving around some adventure (as is the case of Mario) when it has a compelling story to boot, no matter how kiddy and simplicistic.
But it shouldn't be boring, which it could be by being too repetitive ("been there, done that") or too long in exposition (some people complain that the admittedly rather forced plot expositions in Galaxy were a chore. I didn't feel like that, but I can see why they would).

Well, sure, I can agree to this. I just always felt that, regarding Mario, the plot isn't meant to be taken very seriously and it serves mostly as the excuse of why Mario's on yet another adventure.

If you want a Mario game with a more serious plot, there are plenty of fangames out there. Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and it's sister game, Super Mario Fusion, look like they will be really good games when finished. Probably need a good computer to play 'em, though.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#50  Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:54 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, I'd just like some fresh excuses, ya know ;)

I'll try looking into those, thanks!
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 3 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2955s
Index - Back to Top