Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Secret of Evermore
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 1406]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Notice: DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING FOR ME IF YOU'VE PLAYED THIS.

Anyways, while at my grandmas for my dad's birthday last saturday I decided to play the game on her SNES to try it out. I saw the cartridge many times before for a few months but never actually put it in until saturday. I thought hey, that if I was going to be annoyed for not trying out any new rpgs I might as well go ahead. Besides, it was made by Squaresoft/Square Enix and I knew it would be some kind of RPG somehow so I thought I couldn't go wrong. What I expected though when I put it in was a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy, but it's apparently has real time combat instead, something I thought wasn't possible for RPGs on older systems (As almost everything from what I atleast saw was turn based [Final Fantasy, Pokemon, etc.]). After figuring out how it worked and everything I actually started to enjoy it. Wasn't as bad as I thought since I had hard time trying games randomly like that from past mistakes (Finding Nemo when I was younger, partially Godzilla; Destroy all monsters Melee though on a more positive side note since it was more technically stable than Finding Nemo ever was, and the most recent Cabela's Legendary Adventures for PSP [Even with the positive reviews I was reading on Amazon.com and the gameplay videos I watched. Not enough info was available for me to make my final decision that time, even the screenshots I was seeing weren't the way it was as the actual ingame look differed greatly from the screenshots to the point I now think those were from the Wii or PS2 version]). Anyways, now I'm starting to get used to trying new things like that but it won't be a while until I can get another game to try out (Currently working on stuff I already know about though, such as Peace Walker). May possibly try downloading a rom for an older Final Fantasy game (I surprisingly DID used to own the first game, though I'm not sure what to do; Get a rom for the NES game I used to have or buy the PSP port with improved visuals and another PSP game to play).
So did any of you ever have the game or no? But here's what I want to know, why the heck do some save points CHARGE YOU to use them? I know those ones heal you as well but still, they should offer you the ability to save even if you don't heal.... I always have to treck out to save points away from Fire Eyes village just to save without paying... I find that rediculous (Not as rediculous as what I'm hearing about a save point in Chrono Trigger though).
Current progress so far (On the ROM, not the cart at my grandmas. Can't take the SNES home with me so I have no choice but to use the ROM to get decent amounts of playtime):
First Boss, Easy. Never thought you faced the bug on the cover of the cart so eary.
Second Boss, HARD. Seriously, what's with the sudden difficulty jump? I know some people can level up the spear to throw and do more damage but I never expected it that soon so I was kind of unprepared to face it. Took almost 45 minutes to an hour on that guy. It's going to be tough getting past it again on the real cart at my grandmas.
View user profile Send Private Message
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've only played Secret of Mana, but I think all of the Secret of games have similar combat systems. Secret of Mana is a pretty neat game, since that can actually be played three player (assuming you have a multi tap). I'd assume Evermore is similar, but again, I haven't played it so I wouldn't know.

The first Final Fantasy is one of those games you need a guide in order to get anywhere (especially if you decide to stop playing the game for a day or two, you're pretty much screwed lol). There should be plenty on GameFAQs if you're serious about playing it. It's a neat game though, I prefer that over the new ones anyday. I've played the re-release for the PS1. FF3 looked like a cool game too, has a revamped version of the first's class system and allows you to change your party members' jobs throughout the game. FF3 was the first with the FF's famous Job System. I've also liked FF4 (or 2 as it was known in the States). It has a pretty cliched story nowadays, but back then it was pretty original and epic. Almost beat it once too (I really need to get back into it lol).

Man, if you hate getting charged for saving, you'd probably hate the original Resident Evil games. You need a particular item, a Ink Ribbon, on you just to save your progress, and they come in very limited quantities, much like everything else in those games. It sounds like in your case though it isn't much different in concept to an inn or something in other RPG games. And if it fully restores you, why not use it?

What about a save point in Chrono Trigger? I've played and finished this game about three-four times before and I don't know what you're talking about. Care to explain?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:29 am  Reply with quote + 
Ah, Secret of Evermore huh? I can't remember how many times I almost bought that game at Funcoland. I've always wanted to try it out.

Though they weren't as common as today there were a number of action type RPGs back in the old days. As was already mentioned Secret of Mana which is a fun game. I've never gotten around to beating but always enjoyed playing it with my friend and having all the different weapon types to choose from. Evermore sounds similar. Do you also use the various weapons to get through dungeon obstacles? Like need a whip to cross gaps or a sword to cut through trees etc.?

As for some other older action RPGs you've got the Ys series. The older games were not as advanced as Mana/Evermore. You were basically running into monsters to kill them lol. you kinda ran into them at an angle so you wouldn't take damage from them. Anyway they were simplistic but very cool at the time. The game's soundtrack is friggin awesome. Particularly the Turbographix CD version with the delicious red book audio.

Then you've got some side-scrolling ones like Ys III also for Turbo and Popful Mail for Sega CD, again not very complex games, but great music. Popful Mail has a hilarious story alot like the Slayers anime and great music as well. A lot of great voice acting enhances the characters and story greatly.

Popful Mail video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QrtduvAfGE
The sound in the vid is a bit off but it shows off some of the game's great personality and some gameplay.

If you're digging Evermore I'd say it might be worth at least reading up on some of these. I'm not saying you should go out and pick them up right away, but look them up and see if you might like them or not.

Secret of Mana for sure

Alundra (Playstation 1 game) Perhaps more like a Zelda game but plays somewhat similar and has similar feel, with difficult dungeon puzzles
vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-QDhiAU8Hg

Ys: Ark of Napishtim for PS2, a newer, more advanced Ys game with an overhead view. You might not like the older games since there isn't a lot too them in terms of player input. Where you fight monsters in real time, level up and buy items. Great soundtrack and artwork. Pretty decent story.
vid of PC version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHith4HyF0
PS2 has different graphics. It uses polygons instead of sprites.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
What about a save point in Chrono Trigger? I've played and finished this game about three-four times before and I don't know what you're talking about. Care to explain?

There is apparently a save point in Magus' Castle that will attack you if you try and use it.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#5  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:17 am  Reply with quote + 
ha ha ha, Oh yeah! I remember that.

Good times! Wow, it's been years since I played through that game. Great game though! I loved it.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:10 am  Reply with quote + 
Oh yeah, okay. I remember that now.

I'd call it an enemy cleverly disguised as a save point, as you can't actually save with it. lol

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dear lord, I really remember this game, it was my second most loved RPG back in the SNES generation.

It was very easy to get into the options of the game when you have played the "original version" - Secret of Mana. Square-Enix of America produced Secret of Evermore and took most ideas for the game's playbasic from it's japanese origin Secret of Mana, they felt like it would fit the best if they produce something that is similar to the franchise, but someway with more darker bosses and more typical slapstick jokes.

Of course I laughed at first because it looked like a bad copy from Secret of Mana, but later on I realized that it was on purpose. Let's say they did some kind of "parody" to the original game, but still it was a very wellknown and awesome game!

The idea with the dog that changed his shape when you entered a different era was just awesome and sweet, and it's sad to see that ideas like that are not very common in the game's franchises, and the slapstick jokes in the game were just hilarious.

Of course there are a few differences between the English original and the German language when it comes down to the humor, but it's always hard to get a joke into a different language that makes sense and points out the joke of it, or... irony/sarcasm, whatever.

But I remembered the forest-labyrinth in that game. I really lost my sight very often in that part. And I still hate the very first boss! Always had my problems with him because in earlier days I never cared much about the Level of my characters and the alchemy-spells.

Still it was an awesome game and I'm playing it even nowadays! :3
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1609s
Index - Back to Top