Disappointing games/companies/people?
[Replies: 34]  [Views: 5823]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 am  Reply with quote + 
In this topic, you may discuss any games, companies, or individuals in the video game industry who are currently disappointing you. May they be games you've played before or stuff that's not out yet, or the direction companies and individuals are currently headed.

I recently saw the trailer for the new Devil May Cry game, simply called DmC. Apparently, Ninja Theory (the guys who made Heavenly Sword) were allowed to work on the title, and it's apparently a reboot. Honestly, based on the trailer alone, the game looks like absolute garbage.

Whoever this scrawny Twilight looking kid is, he is certainly not Dante like he claims to be. The character looks completely uninspired and seems to have lost the style Dante had in the other four games (and really, why does he have black hair? And smokes cigarettes?). The only thing that he has going that even slightly resembles Dante is his red colored outfit (even then, he still looks nothing like Dante) and his twin handguns, Ebony and Ivory. And what the hell is up with the transforming weapon that he used during the trailer? Maybe I just look like I'm rambling about meaningless stuff, but as a fan who has played and enjoyed the four other titles, seeing this new form of "Dante" is pretty much a big kick in the crouch to me, as I know for a fact that this guy I see isn't Dante.

Not to mention I haven't heard many positive things about the game's developer, Ninja Theory. While I haven't actually played any of their games, I have heard Heavenly Sword is mediocre at best and is very clunky and slow, running at only 30 FPS. It would have made much more sense to have Platinum Games develop the game. Not only was Bayonetta a pretty successful title (some even argue that Bayonetta was a better game and is more of a DMC game then DMC4), but who else would be better at developing a new DMC game then... the guy who made the original game in the first place?

Anyway, that's one of the many things in this industry that are disappointing me so far. How about the rest of you guys?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
If I started talking about all the things in the industry that upset me I'd probably never shut up and I've mentioned a large portion of them already in the recent topics of the past months.

If I feel inclined maybe I'll add some stuff here later. It's almost time for work...
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#3  Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
I dunno about this topic, I would suspect it is very flamebait worthy.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, I admit I mostly wanted to vent on something that I was very disappointed with. But I feel that this community is mature enough to understand that any comments here are mostly opinionated and such (and I doubt anyone here would say something like "such and such game(s) suck cuz I said so lol" or anything of the sort).

If you think it may be a problem though, feel free to do something about it. I don't really care, either way. I just thought it may be an interesting topic and put more purpose in it other then just me complaining about DmC.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#5  Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:41 am  Reply with quote + 
For now, I'm just going to watch -- it could turn out okay, or it could get ugly quickly. I'll take action immediately if the situation calls for it (assuming Razon or Bman3022 don't beat me to the punch).
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:31 am  Reply with quote + 
Data Design Interactive has dissapointed me I only have the PS2 version of Ninjabread (One heck of a lazily made game I tell ya) man but from what I saw every single of their game are exactly the same
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
I just finished the demo for the new Castlevania game, Lord of Shadows, and it was pretty much as I expected. A God Of War clone with mindless button mashing.

Seriously, you can get away with using just one of your attack buttons the whole time. Trying to use the two attack buttons in unison doesn't really work, as you start with just two combos, pressing Square or Triangle X number of times. The lack of a lock-on button makes combat somewhat annoying as it's more difficult to work on one enemy at a time. Making dodging and blocking the same button (L2) wasn't very smart either. Being unable to even flinch larger enemies makes combos completely pointless against anything other then regular enemies anyway.

The music is forgettable epic fantasy music. It wasn't bad, by any means, but even though I just finished playing like 10 minutes ago, I don't remember a single tune from the game. I heard no classic Castlevania tunes the whole time I played through the demo. I found Patrick Stewart doing the voice segments for the dialogue in between chapters to be neat and charming, but I'm not going to buy and play through the game just for that. That would just be completely insane and illogical. If I really wanted to see it, I'd watch it on YouTube.

The game looked gorgeous, I'll give it that, but graphics are pretty much the last thing I'm concerned with regarding games. If a game isn't enjoyable, I'm not going to give a rat's behind as to how pretty the game looks.

I only played the demo to confirm if it was as I heard it was, and it is. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly enjoy it, as I felt just as empty finishing the demo as I was before I played it. If anything, it made me want to play other Castlevania games. I'm not even the slightest bit interested in if the game gets any better, as I endured more then enough to convince me that it wasn't. Any and all Castlevania fans should stay as far away from LoS as possible. If you must try it, rent before you buy or download the demo to see if it's your thing. It certainly wasn't mine.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#8  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am  Reply with quote + 
Wow, this might just be the end for videogames for me if even Konami and Capcom can't make a good game for their fans. Those were two of the few remaining companies doing anything decent in recent years.

Well there's still plenty of old stuff out there I want, and I'm sure Nippon Icchi and Atlus USA, along with a couple other niche companies will continue to release a few more good games for me in the next few years at least. Hell even Sega still releases something that interests me once or twice a year. Oh! and Namco too if they can pump out a few more good Tales of games and maybe one more awesome Soul Calibur game i think I'll be satisfied and have enough good games for me to play for the rest of my life.

ha ha ha,
I laugh but it's so sad....
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:45 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Wow, this might just be the end for videogames for me if even Konami and Capcom can't make a good game for their fans. Those were two of the few remaining companies doing anything decent in recent years.

Well there's still plenty of old stuff out there I want, and I'm sure Nippon Icchi and Atlus USA, along with a couple other niche companies will continue to release a few more good games for me in the next few years at least. Hell even Sega still releases something that interests me once or twice a year. Oh! and Namco too if they can pump out a few more good Tales of games and maybe one more awesome Soul Calibur game i think I'll be satisfied and have enough good games for me to play for the rest of my life.

ha ha ha,
I laugh but it's so sad....

No kidding. As a fan of some of the franchises Capcom and Konami produce, it's pretty sad to see two of my most favorite franchises being butchered like this and the companies just don't give a shit about the fan's feelings or reactions. You would think they would cater to them more, seeing as they are the core audience. I'm really hoping both of these attempts to Westernize Japanese games fail hardcore if only so it proves a point; that you don't need to Westernize games to make them good.

Hopefully, Japan will get over their low self-esteem issue and get back to doing what they do best, making good games. Although at this point, this doesn't seem very likely.

Recent stuff I'm into:

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
There's so many games nowdays that are really disappointing to me. While there's still awesome new games out there, a lot of the older games that are popular seem to be taking bad directions (not in all cases, but in far too many) I'd be here forever if I brought up every single one lol. >.<

But....I'm really disappointed with Nintendo right now. Kirby's Epic Yarn came out a week or so ago, and I wasn't a bit excited about it. They seemed to have gone too far and ruined the fun of the gameplay, so to me it's yet another disappointing title on the Wii. As a long time and dedicated Kirby fan, I really don't like what I just saw out of this game. To be completely honest, I feel as if Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the only decent game that came out for the Wii this year, and it could be easily argued that there wasn't even the need for a sequel. Nintendo has had a couple week years in a row, and I've pretty much lost interest in a lot of their newer stuff.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#11  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 am  Reply with quote + 
Overall I don't think the Wii has been doing well the past couple years, especially with Nintendo's original core fanbase. They did very well the first year or so the Wii was out cause all the casual people really got into the whole motion sensor stuff. As for the core fanbase though we're starved for good games on the system. Early on we got quite a few good ones but since the first 3-4 months we only get a couple really good ones a year perhaps.

I'm hoping now that the other companies are also gonna be doing all the casual gamer motion sensor garbage stuff, Nintendo will go back to their old ways and just make some great games for us. We'll see I guess, but such hopes will probably be crushed.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
Kirby's Epic Yarn came out a week or so ago, and I wasn't a bit excited about it. They seemed to have gone too far and ruined the fun of the gameplay, so to me it's yet another disappointing title on the Wii. As a long time and dedicated Kirby fan, I really don't like what I just saw out of this game.

Too bad, I found Kirby's Epic Yarn to be a fantastic game, not at all your standard Kirby game, but still a fantastic game. Controls were good, level design was good, it did lack any hint of difficulty though, even for a kirby game (you can't actually die... ever), at least until you start trying to perfectly complete it.

As for nintendo and the past few years, to be completely honest I think they've been doing better then anyone else has. The entire gaming industry has been quite the disappointment since the dreamcast era. All anyone seems to do these days is do slightly more polished versions of the same old game with gimmicks that aren't exactly new either. Halo Reach, Tribes Duke Nukem 3D called and wants their jetpack back. At least with nintendo I'm seeing minor specs of what appears to be innovation in level design. Or perhaps it's just cause I prefer platformers... who knows.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm kind of interested in Epic Yarn myself. I guess I'll just have to play it myself and see for myself.

As for the current generation, I think Sony's doing the best. I'm still buying games for the PS3 and PSP while I don't even buy anything for the Wii and DS anymore. Haven't heard of many good games from Nintendo's part lately either.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#14  Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Haven't heard of many good games from Nintendo's part lately either.

*coughdonkeykongcountryreturnscough*
*coughgoldeneye007remakecough*
*coughmonsterhuntertricough*
*coughdidImentiondonkeykongcountryreturnsyet?cough*
*coughdidyouwatchE3fornintendoatallperiod?cough*

And yet you already mention Kirby's Epic Yarn, despite what your last sentence said. THINK before you contridict yourself like that.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
*coughdonkeykongcountryreturnscough*

I never dug Donkey Kong Country myself, so I don't really care about that.

Mighty wrote:
*coughgoldeneye007remakecough*

I heard about this, and after a bit of reading, I'm not really interested. Remaking a old Bond movie-to-game, then make it more like the modern Bond movies (Why is it the Daniel Craig Bond instead of the Pierce Broadman Bond?) is just silly. Why bother remaking it then if it isn't going to be like the source material in the first place?

Mighty wrote:
*coughmonsterhuntertricough*

I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself on this, but I'm not interested in this type of game.

Mighty wrote:
*coughdidyouwatchE3fornintendoatallperiod?cough*

I don't follow E3 cause I don't really care about the video game industry that much anymore. Why would I watch the E3 presentation for a company that has been letting me down for the past 2-3 years for anyway? That's just nonsense.

Mighty wrote:
And yet you already mention Kirby's Epic Yarn, despite what your last sentence said. THINK before you contridict yourself like that.

What I wrote:
I'm kind of interested in Epic Yarn myself. I guess I'll just have to play it myself and see for myself.

As for the current generation, I think Sony's doing the best. I'm still buying games for the PS3 and PSP while I don't even buy anything for the Wii and DS anymore. Haven't heard of many good games from Nintendo's part lately either.

I don't see a contradiction. Or are you seriously going to insist that because I said I was interested in one game from Nintendo, then said I haven't heard of many good games from Nintendo's part is a contradiction?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#16  Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
THINK before you contridict yourself like that.

Maybe you should READ what people say before you make a post.

He clearly said there haven't been many.

Christ you even quoted it.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#17  Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Mighty wrote:
THINK before you contridict yourself like that.

Maybe you should READ what people say before you make a post.

He clearly said there haven't been many.

Christ you even quoted it.

Or at least read better. I think Mighty thought Soniti said "any" instead of "many" which makes sense.

Even so, I loled at that last bit in your post. :D
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
If I started talking about all the things in the industry that upset me I'd probably never shut up

This here is the reason I haven't posted in this topic before.

But now I have to wonder, how is it this thread hasn't been devoted entirely to Metroid Other M?
Rarely have I ever seen such a huge amount of fail in a sequel to one of Nintendo's core franchises. I've seen most people complain about the story and characterization to the point where I'm starting to suspect these aspects may have been designed to be bitched about in order to draw attention away from the horrid gameplay.
This thing takes the mandatory linearity of Fusion and complements it with the worst controls I've experienced in a 3D game since MegamanX7. It doesn't feel at all like a Metroid game, and I'd only consider it passable if it was a third party game made by a small emergent developer.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#19  Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:
If I started talking about all the things in the industry that upset me I'd probably never shut up

This here is the reason I haven't posted in this topic before.

But now I have to wonder, how is it this thread hasn't been devoted entirely to Metroid Other M?
Rarely have I ever seen such a huge amount of fail in a sequel to one of Nintendo's core franchises. I've seen most people complain about the story and characterization to the point where I'm starting to suspect these aspects may have been designed to be bitched about in order to draw attention away from the horrid gameplay.
This thing takes the mandatory linearity of Fusion and complements it with the worst controls I've experienced in a 3D game since MegamanX7. It doesn't feel at all like a Metroid game, and I'd only consider it passable if it was a third party game made by a small emergent developer.

If it's the gameplay you didn't like, you can probably blame Team Ninja, as they were the ones who helped develop the game. If it's story you didn't like, then Nintendo is probably to blame (many of the complaints I've heard about the game is regarding the story, or rather, Samus's character).

Either way, I haven't heard a lot of good things regarding the game, which is unfortunate because I love Metroid. The gameplay didn't look bad, but it looked like something you'd have to get used to after a while. If I were to try it, I'd probably get it used or something. Probably not anytime soon though.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#20  Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:07 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
If it's the gameplay you didn't like, you can probably blame Team Ninja, as they were the ones who helped develop the game. If it's story you didn't like, then Nintendo is probably to blame

Yeah... how about both? this game pretty much did nothing right.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Either way, I haven't heard a lot of good things regarding the game, which is unfortunate because I love Metroid.

Tell me about it, it's my second favorite franchise.

Soniti 254 wrote:
The gameplay didn't look bad

That's just the thing: it's made to look good, not to be good.

Soniti 254 wrote:
If I were to try it, I'd probably get it used or something. Probably not anytime soon though.

You probably would, but it's not worth it because this it not a real Metroid game. How do you define a Metroid game?
Excellent gameplay and controls? This one doesn't have that, its controls are atrocious and broken making the gameplay alternatingly frustrating or bland.
Free exploration? No such thing. This game has no exploration other than hidden power ups, let alone free. It's even worse than Fusion in this regard (and like in that game, doors will arbitrarily lock you out of sections you already visited, so you better feel like figuring out how to get that extra missile RIGHT NOW).
Is it the sense of isolation as you move through an alien landscape? Forget about that, this game has so much dialogue your ears will fall off. Especially grating because, as everyone knows, Samus is emo in this one. It wouldn't even be so bad if the excuse not to use vital items wasn't pure manure.

I could write a megapost detailing exactly how the controls make this game suck, if you'd like. But I need to know, what's the policy of this board on swearing?

Last edited by Duke Serkol on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:03 am
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2201s
Index - Back to Top