Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Those hands..
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 1772]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

HienFan
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:55 am  Reply with quote + 
I have very odd question.. Why do some Bomberman have fingers but not others? We never ever saw Shiro, Kuro, Ao and Aka with fingers yet people like Machbom, Racer (Sadly this guy's finger suddenly disappeared on Bomberman Hardball/Bomberman Land 3) Bomber and Mighty do. I know they are wearing gloves but it's just plain confusing how some of the characters don't and also if they remove their gloves (Mighty) their fingers appears to be missing

Anyone know why?
View user profile Send Private Message
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 am  Reply with quote + 
My guess is probably because of varying art styles and perhaps to add some variety to the characters (I remember White Bomber not have fingers in the anime but Mighty does). Or some characters are simply wearing mittens instead of gloves.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
Art style, yeah. Generally, regular Bombermen have "mitten hands" or just round balls for hands, and more of the evil characters or cyborgs have fingers. Super Bomberman 3 has some good artwork to look at here; all the evil characters (including Bagura) have fingers, while all but two of the "good" characters (the World Bombers) have mitten hands, except for two who, as you mentioned, have distinctive gloves.

So I guess the thing is, if you're evil, or are a Bomber-Cyborg, you can have fingers if you want. Otherwise, all you have to do is put on some realistic-looking gloves and your hands will magically change shape and gain extra digits. Then again, Bomberman can make a peace/victory sign whenever he wants to.

In the end I guess this is one of those weird art things that you just don't question.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:54 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Bomberman can make a peace/victory sign whenever he wants to.

Exactly, hence my theory which I will now proceed to explain:

First off, I'd like to remind everyone here that regardless of what Hudson may have made of him at this point, Bomberman originally started out as a robot.
Therefore, I imagine his hands to be covered in some kind of rubber like soft malleable polymer.
When he makes fingers, I imagine he's either altering the shape of the polymer itself, or stretching it outwards with an underlying bone like structure. The latter seems more likely since we don't see him turn his hands in weird shapes, just fingers.

Now if we go by the latter, whether Bomberman's hand are made of some rubber polymer or an elastic organic tissue, we can then presume that contrary to our hands that are naturally open when relaxed, the natural relaxed position for Bomberman's hands is to be balled up into fists and he has instead to do a conscious decision to open them (or rather to stretch out his fingers).

As for peculiar Bombermen that are displayed as having regular hands all the time, there may be different explanations. If they are cyborgs, like Bagular's creations, it may have been his design.
If they are supposed to be regular Bombers it may be chalked up to either of these possibilities:
A - If Bomberman are still to be thought of as robots to this day, then that specific Bomberman may have been designed differently.
or
B - They want to look cool by keeping their fingers outstretched. This may very well be a necessity for them to wear gloves as they would otherwise fall off were they to let their hands ball up (essentially they would be "holding their gloves" by keeping their fingers outstretched much like we would hold a remote by curling our fingers around it)

Oh by the way, yes, the above counts has evidence that I have no life.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:59 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Now if we go by the latter, whether Bomberman's hand are made of some rubber polymer or an elastic organic tissue, we can then presume that contrary to our hands that are naturally open when relaxed, the natural relaxed position for Bomberman's hands is to be balled up into fists and he has instead to do a conscious decision to open them (or rather to stretch out his fingers).

Sort of like bird feet! A bird's feet are clenched tight in the relaxed position, thus they can fall asleep while grabbing onto trees and stuff. They have to make a conscious decision in order to open their feet.

Duke Serkol wrote:
B - They want to look cool by keeping their fingers outstretched. This may very well be a necessity for them to wear gloves as they would otherwise fall off were they to let their hands ball up (essentially they would be "holding their gloves" by keeping their fingers outstretched much like we would hold a remote by curling our fingers around it)

The only thing about this is that it seems like it would be kind of a strain to do this endlessly, as Bombermen such as Metal Bomber and Kid are never seen without their gloves.

But you made me think of something. Take a look at this page from the Bomberman Wars manual.

Here we see Bomber King, a Witch Bomber and a Thief Bomber holding onto staffs and a sword with their hands still "balled up". But if you note, while zoomed in fully onto the picture, these weapons/tools seem to be passing through the center of the ball/fist... So maybe the hands are some sort of malleable, almost gel-ish consistency? I'm not sure how this would work, but I do notice that Bombermen with regular hands have small, more realistic hands, while Bomberman's hand doing a victory sign has two massive, unrealistic fingers.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Oh by the way, yes, the above counts has evidence that I have no life.

Hahah, but this is interesting discussion. (Even though they are just silly cartoon characters and the original artists probably didn't even think of these things >_>)
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
The only thing about this is that it seems like it would be kind of a strain to do this endlessly, as Bombermen such as Metal Bomber and Kid are never seen without their gloves.

I thought as much, but if they are still robots, then it may not bother them much if at all.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Here we see Bomber King, a Witch Bomber and a Thief Bomber holding onto staffs and a sword with their hands still "balled up". But if you note, while zoomed in fully onto the picture, these weapons/tools seem to be passing through the center of the ball/fist... So maybe the hands are some sort of malleable, almost gel-ish consistency?

Oh, never noticed those!
Well this would definitely point towards the idea that Bomberman can altering the shape of the (gelatinous, if you will) polymer that makes up his hands itself (as opposed to the bone structure theory).
I guess they simply are not capable of making any shapes other than fingers.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:54 am  Reply with quote + 
It's freaky how everything goes past through those dumb balls

PS About Racer I think his lost of fingers is because they got lazy when they 3D him (Compare the number of checkers on the side of his head in Bomberman Hardball to Bomberman Kart DX/2) since he's still wearing those gloves

PSS Doesn't help the fact I still give him fingers outside those gloves good guy or not
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1507s
Index - Back to Top