BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Moments in video games that make you want to explode.
[Replies: 32]  [Views: 6274]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#21  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
I never knew that Kevin can turn into the Nightblade... *cuddles the poor Hawk* |D"

But yes, I must admit that you're right about SD2 and SD3. SD2 wasn't a game that focused too much of NEEDING the spells, it was the players choice which spell is needed, or if you only trust your weapons. I always love hard challenges so I haven't chosen Charlie in my first two save states. My first Team is Angela, Duran and Kevin and my second Team is Lise, Hawk and Angela. My last Team will be Kevin, Charlie and Lise.

At the first time I played SD3 I also made the mistake with the level-up system they put into it and sadly I also caught the 2nd hardest final boss in the game (I was playing as Lise as the leader while Angela and Kevin where my b*tches lol!). I didn't knew that until I've read it! I was so shocked XD

From all RPG games I have played on the Snes I loved SD2, SD3, Zelda III, Illusion of Gaia, SOE and Terranigma to death. Ahh, good old times... I was so hyped about SD3 that I made an import from Japan just to have an original copy of it :star: 
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#22  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
I meant hawk, that's what I get for adding that in after the fact. Hawk is by far my favorite character in the game. I normally end up playing as hawk, and telling Kevin to bugger off of my teams for being rather dull, and a tad annoying to properly abuse.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#23  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
My favorites are Angela, Hawk, Kevin and Lise. Angela is so awesome with her totally spoiled and immature behaviour though she's the oldest of all the characters.

And now, I found another hate boss for today.
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword:
Tentalos. I swear I was near to smash my nunchuck and wii controller against the wall. Really this boss is great, no doubt, but it can get annoying as hell if you don't realize what you have to do for the first few times.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#24  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
You know, speaking of Zelda, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the notorious Water Temple from Ocarina of Time yet. Pretty much just had to give in and use a guide.

Also, I got all but a few of the Heart Pieces in that game, and could never find the remaining ones. I pulled up some guides and went through the lists, searching almost every spot that they mentioned, to no avail. Finally just ended up giving up and beat the game without full completion. Same thing happened to me in Majora's Mask, except that I actually figured out where they were and collected them all

Oh, and now that I've played Majora's Mask (earlier this year)... Here are a few things:

Gyorg. Even if you understand the tricks to diving and swimming, this boss is a total pain. It was for me, at least. It's the first time I died in the game, I think.

The three-day quest was actually enjoyable in my opinion, but then I got to the final day, at the final part, and was waiting for Sakon to arrive, but he just wouldn't. Finally I stood up and looked for him just as he was emerging from the shadowy gate-like rock formation, and so he was scared off. Not really an "explosive anger" sort of thing, though; just one of those things that makes you say "Well, shit." I had to go through that whole quest two more times anyway, because the second time I messed up and ran out of time in the mini-dungeon.

The last thing I can remember is one of those final mini-dungeons for Heart Pieces, before you face the final boss. The one where you have to be Goron Link. If you understand which area I'm talking about by now, then I don't really need to elaborate.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#25  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, the water temple was so annoying in OoT and still is in 3Ds... but for some reason I don't get away of the feeling that the water temple is way more easier to beat in Master Quest. But I don't have any problems with OoT and MM in generel, I'm a walking walkthrough, I just can't forget about nearly every detail from a game. It's a curse.

But yes I know which areas you mentioned, especially with Gyorg and the heart piece on the Moon as Goron Link. Like you Gyorg was the first boss that killed me ever in a Zelda game, and playing the Goron Link just for this heart piece was a rage moment because of the controls sometimes.

Oh lord please don't remind me about the quest with the moon and sun mask, I just hate that part...
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#26  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:32 am  Reply with quote + 
Bramble Scramble from DKC2, was really infuriating back in the day when I was still getting into video games, and it was pretty much an enorumous road block for me.

The final chapter in Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, but this was very largely due to PEBCAK and the level being hard, my lords were very underleveled, and promoted very early (and thus had horrible stats), I had overused Marcus so most of my team was pretty weak, I never used anything stronger than Iron weapons because the game was too forgiving up to that point. Now imagine my frustration when all my n00b mistake came back to bite me. I had to abuse the overpowered Luna tome to win.

Dreadnaught Purple Coins from Super Mario Galaxy 1, for many people, people raged long and hard about Luigi's Purple Coins, but for me it was Dreadnaught's. It took me several hours to complete considering a sinlge misstep screws you over completely.

Wily Stage 3, from MegaMan 9. Ookay, lets take level that has a few areas where you're constantly floating upwards, sound okay right? WRONG, the floating areas are chock full of spikes, and you can only move MegaMan by shooting the buster, which increases his inertia the more you shoot in one direction, which is a lot harder than it sound as you have to move at the correct speeds or you will get spiked and die. And if that wasn't enough, there's several spots where an enemy will drop down and DRAG you right into the very spike you thought you narrowly avoided. Oh, and the boss of that stage is both the Yellow AND the Green devil at the same fracking time. RAGE.

Metal Shark's Stage. It's basically a death course with a giant crusher, and it's full of ice and instakill spike, and enemies love to knock you back into these things at the most inconvenient moments. Oh and don't take the Nightmare route route if you value your sanity, cause now you have to deal with all that AND a forced scrolling level. Fun.

Shiver Factory from Kirby 64. Lots of insta-kill crushers, conveyer belts, the works.

World 4 of Donkey Kong Returns, yes I'm serious, and ENTIRE WORLD full of aggravating levels. The Rocketbarrel level are among the most hated for many people, and the mine carts are pure trail-and-error levels.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#27  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'll go bold!
BlueBomberman wrote:
Bramble Scramble from DKC2, was really infuriating back in the day when I was still getting into video games, and it was pretty much an enorumous road block for me.
That entire game is a roadblock, the roadblock for me in that game was boss 2 for some reason. Partially because he's the line where every level moves from pretty easy to quite hard, partially because he himself is hard.
The final chapter in Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, but this was very largely due to PEBCAK and the level being hard, my lords were very underleveled, and promoted very early (and thus had horrible stats), I had overused Marcus so most of my team was pretty weak, I never used anything stronger than Iron weapons because the game was too forgiving up to that point. Now imagine my frustration when all my n00b mistake came back to bite me. I had to abuse the overpowered Luna tome to win.
Fire Emblem games are all ridiculous, they're good, but their level systems are annoying. To play through the game you more or less have to redo every battle and priorities things with foresight. I don't like it at all. No grind points, fatal decisions masked early on. It's not a good balance, the game relies too much on knowing what will happen later on, which both adds an infinite learning curve, and proceeds to make the difficulty curve go in reverse. I'd much prefer it be balanced in a more forgivable way, let people just play the game without having to worry so much.
Dreadnaught Purple Coins from Super Mario Galaxy 1, for many people, people raged long and hard about Luigi's Purple Coins, but for me it was Dreadnaught's. It took me several hours to complete considering a sinlge misstep screws you over completely.
That was hard, and took me awhile, but it was also my favorite of the levels. Heck, that level on it's own wasn't really all that easy. The worst challenges were that ice levels purple coins, because it took forever in a level that was hell, and of course, daredevil lava level. Daredevil boulder was also annoying. Mario Galaxy 2's challenges were far less annoying, for it the clockwork double time was my worst.

Wily Stage 3, from MegaMan 9. Ookay, lets take level that has a few areas where you're constantly floating upwards, sound okay right? WRONG, the floating areas are chock full of spikes, and you can only move MegaMan by shooting the buster, which increases his inertia the more you shoot in one direction, which is a lot harder than it sound as you have to move at the correct speeds or you will get spiked and die. And if that wasn't enough, there's several spots where an enemy will drop down and DRAG you right into the very spike you thought you narrowly avoided. Oh, and the boss of that stage is both the Yellow AND the Green devil at the same fracking time. RAGE. Megaman games are the devil. They sit at by far one of the most difficult game series's in existence, and for some reason, no one seems to remember them as such. Half of them have situations that if you screw up once guarantee a game over. Their bosses are about the easiest part of them, and they still require a fair bit of memorization.

Metal Shark's Stage. It's basically a death course with a giant crusher, and it's full of ice and instakill spike, and enemies love to knock you back into these things at the most inconvenient moments. Oh and don't take the Nightmare route route if you value your sanity, cause now you have to deal with all that AND a forced scrolling level. Fun.
DEVIL
Shiver Factory from Kirby 64. Lots of insta-kill crushers, conveyer belts, the works.
I love that level
World 4 of Donkey Kong Returns, yes I'm serious, and ENTIRE WORLD full of aggravating levels. The Rocketbarrel level are among the most hated for many people, and the mine carts are pure trail-and-error levels.
That bat was quite annoying. Overall that game wasn't all that hard though, but I never took the time to deal with the secret world (other then cheating to play the levels, which are quite good). My largest frustration with that game was easily the final boss. He's not really all that hard, but he requires rolling, and for some reason, DK felt like to make the battle more challenging, 1/2 of the time he would refuse to roll. That and the boss decided that it would be a good idea to repeatably do patterns that didn't let me hit it, making a somewhat easy boss, annoying as hell. I bashed my controller into the ground a few times, and it decided to play nice. Seriously though why was roll not a button, there are a ton of unused buttons under my fingers.
JonmanOwnsYou
Bomberbie

Post#28  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Zelda 2: Link's Adventures... that game was so frustrating...
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#29  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
How could I have forgotten that? Yeah, that game was nuts. I didn't beat it without using savestates, to be honest.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#30  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:41 am  Reply with quote + 
BlueBomberman wrote:

fireball87 wrote:
DEVIL

...am I the only one who actually liked X6? Sure seems to be that way.

I don't remember there being ice in that stage, and I played through this game again fairly recently. Maybe if you went to Metal Shark Player's stage right after Blizzard Wolfang's stage? I don't recall ever seeing ice in that stage before...

To add some contributions to this thread...

Soul Calibur III: Computer opponents who use the "Lance" type weapon. All of them. That is a incredibly cheap discipline that's both fast, powerful, and has range to boot. Especially evident in the "Chronicles of the Sword" mode where you face all sorts of characters resembling "Create a Character" characters. They can be even more annoying depending on the stage conditions (some will have it so you are always being pushed away, which almost always gives the opponent the advantage with range). Not fun fighting any character who has a range advantage, but Lance users are especially bad.

Mega Man X5: The first of the final stages in the game. There's a part that's heavily reminiscent of Quick Man's stage from Mega Man 2, where insta-kill laser beams spawn and fire in certain directions. If you didn't get past them, you were screwed and could not advance. The only way to get through is to use the "Dark Hold" weapon at the right exact time, which stops everything around X/Zero (including these lasers) and drains the weapon energy bar until it's completely gone and everything resumes where they left off, and you just have to keep moving until you are hopefully past them. It's one of those segments that if you screwed up once, you had to restart the entire stage to have a chance to get through again, as the weapon energy pick-ups don't return upon dying.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#31  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm lazy.

Adventure of Link is both a great game and a highly stupid game. There are a few things that are way too strategy guide fodder, the last level is practically impossible to just figure out. That said it's still a better game then people give it credit.

Soul Caliber, I always found ranged characters to be a tad OP, not the slow ones, but the faster ones. I've never actually seen that game played "professionally" though.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#32  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:30 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
BlueBomberman wrote:

fireball87 wrote:
DEVIL

I used to like that game but then I played it again recently and realized it wasn't really that good. Pretty bad/annoying design in some/a lot of sections.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#33  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
BlueBomberman wrote:

fireball87 wrote:
DEVIL

I used to like that game but then I played it again recently and realized it wasn't really that good. Pretty bad/annoying design in some/a lot of sections.

I always see the "bad design" thing being thrown around with this game. How exactly is there bad design? I'm really curious about this. Hard and perhaps unforgiving, sure I can give you that, but to just say it's "bad design"? Isn't that kinda harsh?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 2 Page: Previous  1, 2

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1984s
Index - Back to Top