Anime Discussions
[Replies: 223]  [Views: 46096]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#21  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
I found the first death note intro song to be decent, the second one had better animation then the first, but I can't say I was a huge fan of the metal intro, too grunty for me... and too random cussing in engrish for me too, what was the point of that?
View user profile Send Private Message
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#22  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm actually more of a fan of the second ending but I still enjoy the first ending, didn't really mind all the engrish cussing.

Speaking of Escaflowne, there's an abridged series on youtube and I started watching it months ago and it was pretty funny for the most part, such as the Slap Chop references. :laugh: 
Razon
Board Admin

Post#23  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Never watched death note, as most people who liked it's taste didn't really match mine. And it didn't appeal so much, so I never felt like bothering with it.

Watching Kino no Tabi at the moment, it's an older anime. It's different I'll say that. Have to like the odd stories and their way of telling it, like the railroad episode- some classic story telling right there. Anyone else seen it?

Last edited by Razon on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:23 pm
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#24  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
Never heard of that show, though I'm planning to watch another older show (from the late 60's and 70's yikes) Lupin III. I actually got hooked into it by KaiserNeko's abridged series lol :laugh: 
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#25  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
It's one of about 3 things that ended up annoying me before, and seeing as I've both set peoples opinion of me for the time being as a "hot head" if stuff appears again I might as well point it out now.

Woah, it was just a joke, bro. If you're referencing my stupid pun.

I mean, you do seem a bit testy at the moment, but it doesn't reflect back on your character. :oops: 

Anyway I'm still out of the loop on this topic so I'm just going to leave this be...
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#26  Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 am  Reply with quote + 
Razon wrote:
Never watched death note, as most people who liked it's taste didn't really match mine. And it didn't appeal so much, so I never felt like bothering with it.

Watching Kino no Tabi at the moment, it's an older anime. It's different I'll say that. Have to like the odd stories and their way of telling it, like the railroad episode- some classic story telling right there. Anyone else seen it?

You probably should watch Death Note, I wasn't planning on watching it either for most of the same reasons, but it was highly recommended enough by someone I trust as someone with understanding of my taste that I did. It really is better written then most anime I've seen, and it's not really what you'd expect it to be, it turns out it's a pretty well written mystery/deductive anime, where the police (and some key detectives) and a killer who can kill with only a name fight to hide and show their secrets... and some moral stuff about playing god. Either way, watch an episode or two, and you'll get a decent idea of the tone of the entire series.

As for Kino no Tabi, I really liked that series. I liked most of their little short story segments, and I liked the universe that "was not beautiful, therefore it is". It was some pretty creative stuff. Heck, I even like their odder choices, like making the motorcycle talk so they could have one character travel alone, but not alone. It was all very decent psychological stuff, especially for something that is more or less a collection of short stories. Mostly I just like how well they painted a world that is mostly horrible (in many reasons for all the gifts one would expect to be good) as though not problematic, still something worth seeing and enjoying. I should probably watch that again sometime.

Dark Zaphe wrote:

Woah, it was just a joke, bro. If you're referencing my stupid pun.

I mean, you do seem a bit testy at the moment, but it doesn't reflect back on your character. :oops: 

Anyway I'm still out of the loop on this topic so I'm just going to leave this be...

Nah, I didn't mind that, and it was an accurate enough depiction that I decided to reference it. There are certain things that just annoy me in general, and seeing as we're 2ish weeks from finals on a semester that has been mostly utter hell, I'm alot more likely to rant on things that I'd normally ignore.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#27  Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:39 am  Reply with quote + 
Oh man! I'm late jumping on this topic!

One of the board's biggest otaku is going to geek out and try to catch up with you all, so bare with me for a bit!

Okay so I'm gonna start with my own introduction then I'm gonna follow through with what everyone's been talking about.

I'm a huge anime fan. I've got between 2 and 3 hundred titles under my belt as well.

My general tastes vary but I tend to like romance, romance comedy, angst and the occasional scifi or fantasy but things from tons of other categories make their way in as well. I'm very well rounded but I'd have to say Romance-comedy is probably my favorite genre.

My Top 10 Anime (as of April 2010)

10 - Azumanga Daioh
9 - Transformers: The Movie
8 - Di Gi Charat
7 - Binbou Shimai Monogatari (English is: Poor Sisters Story)
6 - Record of Lodoss War
5 - Legend of the Galactic Heroes
4 - Welcome to the N.H.K.
3 - Nodame Cantabile
2 - Fate/Stay Night
1 - Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (English cut dubbed version is known as Robotech)

Okay so some stuff mentioned earlier in the topic...

I've heard Dennou Coil is very good but i haven't seen it yet. I will probably watch in some time down the road. I've got a lot in my queue right now.

I haven't watched Gintama either but its very long and looks too shounen for my tastes, but you never know my buddy is into it and just picked up the first season on dvd.

Toradora is something I want to check out. For anyone interested Nippon Ichi is releasing an american dvd in the coming months. I'll be picking it up and watching it then.

Ah, I've also Seen the first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I didn't love it but I enjoyed it. I don't think I'll watch the second season stuff but I'll probably check out the movie.

I've also seen and enjoyed Kino no Tabi. Weird show but it was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

I'm also going to eventually check out Monster and Clannad.

On the discussion of long shows I tend to not like shows that are ridiculously long either. I actually really like the short OVA series that tend to range from 1-10 episodes. A lot of my early shows were 90s OVAs and that really got me into anime. I do like soem long shows though. Even if you don't like long shows I have to recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It a 110 episode OVA. It's a space war oepra with tons of characters many of whom are awesome. It covers a giant war between an empire and a free planets alliance. and switches the focus between each sides leader figure. Even though its so long the series does not drag at all and there is no filler. I don't really feel like going into to much detail here sicne i have so many other things to discuss but everyone should give that a look. It's awesome!

I also enjoyed Sailor moon which has about 200 episode. I've seen over half of it but its divided into multiple seasons so I'm not sure if it really counts.

Oh Speaking of one of my favorite sits, www.anidb.net Razon do you have an anime list? This is my page...

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=userpage

If you have one I'd love to see it. Same goes for anyone else that has one or ends up making one. Check it out and friend me!

I saw Miyazaki's works were mentioned as well. Princess Mononoke and Nauisicaa of the Valley of Wind are my two favorites. good stuff.

I'll wrap it up with some recent stuff.

This season I'm currently only following Working!! and Kissxsis TV. Working is pretty fun. I'm enjoying it. I am moderately interested in Angel Beats and Arakawa under the bridge. Last season I followed and enjoyed Hanamaru Kindergarten, Hiiragi was awesome and there was NOT enough of her.

From last season I'm actually watching a few shows still as part of my back log.

Baka to Test is kind of so-so but fairly funny. I've watched 4-5 episodes.

Kimi ni Todoke is also friggin awesome. I've watched 15 of the 25 episodes so far and I love it. Sawako is adorable.

That'll do it for me. I'll be keeping an eye on this topic from now on.
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#28  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:36 am  Reply with quote + 
I kinda thought it was old, but I didn't know that there was more than 1. I know there's a Zelda cartoon series back in the 80's.

Generally, anime shows that are based off video games for some reason bore me to death, which includes (and don't shoot me for saying this) the Jetters anime. Because of that, that's probably the main reason why I never got into the Bakugaiden series along with the Kirby anime series.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#29  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:43 am  Reply with quote + 
I don't find most anime based on games to be particularly awesome but they usually aren't really bad either, at least I think so. To me i guess it depends how much of a fan I am of said series. I love Ys and enjoyed the anime quite a bit. I wouldn't say it was awesome or anything but it captured the essence of the game pretty well.

I thought Jetters was pretty good. I wasn't actually too crazy about the game, it was ok but the anime really took the story alot farther and made it very enjoyable to watch. I actually forgot to mention Jetters in my last post.

But yeah, for the most part anime based off games tend to land between average or fairly good in my opinion. Though anime based on Visual novels can be very very good. Some examples would be

Fate/Stay Night
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3348

Rumbling Hearts (aka Kimi ga Nozomu Eien)
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=896

Phantom
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6256
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#30  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:29 am  Reply with quote + 
TokiAlbatou wrote:
Generally, anime shows that are based off video games for some reason bore me to death, which includes (and don't shoot me for saying this) the Jetters anime. Because of that, that's probably the main reason why I never got into the Bakugaiden series along with the Kirby anime series.

Allow to ask a question; did you watch the American dub for Kirby? If you have, you're watching the wrong show completely.

4kids, the company who dubs a lot of anime that's shown as Saturday morning cartoons like Pokemon and at one point One Piece, are known to butcher their anime. They basically watch what goes on and then make up their own dialogue for their shows and they also tend to remove anything that may be a weapon (other then swords) and little things like cigarettes, I'm not even joking on this. They've also tend to skip certain episodes entirely due to something that may be considered controversial (a certain episode of Pokemon comes to mind).

Anyway, there's at least one fansub for Kirby that's actually really good. It has a surprisingly dark story for something as cute as Kirby. I never got the chance to watch all of the episodes for it, but I can tell you it's really good from what I have seen. I believe Kirby's Rainbow Resort may have fansubbed the whole series by now. You should at least give that a shot and not base your thoughts and opinion on the crappy 4kids dub.

Also, I thought Jetterz was pretty good as well. Starts out as something of a "Monster of the week" kind of show, but it does develop into something surprisingly dark and it was quite enjoyable. Of course, most of you probably already know that.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#31  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm going to give Jetters another shot some time. After all, they say at some series, it gets better later on.

The Kirby anime show I saw was the Kirby Right Back at 'Ya! show but I haven't seen that show in years (in the English dub). My sisters and I only saw like 3 1/2 episodes of it and that was it, we weren't really interested in it, although we do like the Kirby games, despite that we only have 2.

If I said anything that I shouldn't have said I apologize.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#32  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
TokiAlbatou wrote:
I'm going to give Jetters another shot some time. After all, they say at some series, it gets better later on.

Hopefully, when you rewatch it, you'll like it like most of us have.

TokiAlbatou wrote:
The Kirby anime show I saw was the Kirby Right Back at 'Ya! show but I haven't seen that show in years (in the English dub). My sisters and I only saw like 3 1/2 episodes of it and that was it, we weren't really interested in it, although we do like the Kirby games, despite that we only have 2.

If I said anything that I shouldn't have said I apologize.

Yeah, that's the crappy one you watched. You'd do well to avoid 4kids stuff; they're really bad at anime (not even just laughably bad either) and I'm not the only one who knows so. The Japanese version, Hoshi no Kirby (lit. Kirby of the Stars), as I said, may as well be considered a different show entirely from the American dub and, based on what I've seen, it's pretty good. You should give that one a chance. It's the same animation, but unlike the 4jerks dub, it doesn't throw in stupid puns every five minutes and actually takes itself somewhat seriously.

I don't see any real reason to apologize. It's not like you said anything like "Jetterz sucks cuz I said so." or something like that.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#33  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
Why would I ever say that? If I did say that, then I would have started a huge flame war and I would be acting so childish. So yeah, I'm going to get back to Jetters someday...don't know when still there's a lot of other shows I wanna watch (and finish). I might be interested in the Hoshi no Kaabi show and I might watch it later on. I think I'll watch it later on though.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#34  Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Hoshi no Kirby (lit. Kirby of the Stars)

Might as well just refer to it as Kirby, or Kirby's Dream Land, seeing as half the games go one way with it, and half the other :P
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#35  Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Lol! That's some people I know refer that show it as. Heck, I might even watch the Powerpuff Girls anime. I think it's called Powerpuff Girls Z or something like that.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#36  Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
I picked up a 3rd anime airing this season.

It's called Arakawa Under the Bridge and it's hilarious so far... I've watched 6 episodes. It's really random but the characters are the best part.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7238

I've also been keeping up with Kissxsis and Working!!
Working!! is still a fun show to watch. Pretty funny but I think I'm starting to like Arakawa more.

I also downloaded a few episodes of Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7008
which I'm told is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#37  Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
Finished Gintama, and picked up Katanagatari. Episode 3 preview of ep 4 of kata was a major troll once you see the actual episode. They mainly do a lot of ranting in this series, wouldn't recommend it. My tolerance level is pretty high for anime, so I can bare with something if it contains just enough entertainment and doesn't have elements that I dislike- likewise I can ignore disliked elements to a certain extent in an anime if it more then makes up for it in another area.

Watched both seasons of Spice and Wolf, S2 wasn't as good as the first IMO. Hopefully S3 brings things back better, S1's worth a watch for sure though. They likely can't get that fresh feeling back from the first season, since it was something different first time seeing it.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#38  Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
I remember hearing about Katanagatari. It only sounded mildly interesting and I ended up forgetting about it. The art is kinda neat.

Spice and Wolf has been in my to watch list for awhile. It definitely looks like a series I'd really enjoy.

I'm not sure if I'd call it the same thing as you Razon but I also can watch lots of different things and not have much trouble finishing them. I'm not sure I'd call it a tolerance as much as just being easy to please. I rarely rate a series below a 6 if I finish it all. I've generally enjoyed most of the shows I've watched but then again I usually read up on it and know what I'm getting into so it's usually something i think I'm gonna like anyway.

Razon, I remember you saying you were also watching Arakawa Under the bridge this season right? What do you think of it so far? I'm really liking it. It's ridiculous but quite funny. I'd have to say Nino is my favorite character so far. Her blunt way of speaking is great.

Oh I'm also working on Hidamari Sketch right now. Half way through season 1. fun little slice o life show.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#39  Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Razon, I remember you saying you were also watching Arakawa Under the bridge this season right? What do you think of it so far? I'm really liking it. It's ridiculous but quite funny. I'd have to say Nino is my favorite character so far. Her blunt way of speaking is great.

It's a pretty funky anime, it's funny that's for sure. They need to tell nino's past, would be disappointing if they didn't before the series ends- though I could certainly imagine them going with a 'her past doesn't matter' type of thing and not telling it.

Started watching one piece recently from recommendation, some of the arcs are ridiculously long.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#40  Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
So finally got around to starting summer animes, nabbed the following.

Seitokai Yakuindomo
Amagami SS
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin
Shiki
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi
Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

Also caught up on one piece all 460 episodes, quite an enjoyable run. Would recommend if it you have the kind of time to watch it, had put all other animes to the side and dashed through it. The long stories keep you watching, wanting to see it through and find out what's going to happen.

What's everyone else been up to?

Also don't download subs from a fan subbing group called 'guess', because thier name says exactly what they're doing for the translation.

Last edited by Razon on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 pm
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 12 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2684s
Index - Back to Top