Anime Discussions
[Replies: 223]  [Views: 46264]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#161  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
What do you think of Polar Bear Cafe? I've read mixed feelings on anidb's comments. I haven't researched it yet much myself.
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#162  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
I really like it, but let's be honest, it's really odd, extraordinarily slow and does a ton of gags that are mostly not funny, like the standard Japanese word association "puns" (not that I mind them). It does offer plenty of legitimately funny moments, and I like the slow pacing generally, but I know why people wouldn't like it. I generally recommend it with disclaimer, and if you think it's meh after a few episodes, it probably is (ep5 is about the point where it doesn't really get any better).
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#163  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
I like your simple straight to the point reply.

It is a kinda long show for me though, but sometimes I surprise myself. If something appeals to my tastes enough I can probably get through it pretty quick even if it doesn't change much.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#164  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
I generally avoid watching long shows, but I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter with shows with no plot, I can stop pretty much at any time and not lose anything, therefore as long as I enjoy the episode I just watched, it's worth watching, and if that stops happening, I stop watching. It's odd, story driven shows I prefer to end in a reasonable time frame, and shows that are built upon single self contained episodes (generally humor based), I want to last for a fair bit of time.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#165  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
If that's the case I'd give You're Under Arrest an honorable mention.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=438

It's very episodic, so you can watch at your own pace. Some eps are funny, some are more action oriented and some are more suspense oriented. So there's a nice variety too.

Has a fun/likeable cast that grow over time somewhat. (mainly only talking about the original 51 episode series here) the more recently made series' though I still enjoy can feel a bit detached from the original, some are almost like re-imaginings.

Anywho It may be worth a look someday for you.
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#166  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Ha ha, nice! Another anime fan on board. It's always fun seeing the different tastes of anime fans and hearing the different opinions.

One of my buddies was raving about Vividred Operation but it doesn't look like my thing either. He compared it to Strike witches which I also wasn't too interested in.

What are some of yor favorite series?

and do you use any record keeping sites?
like www.myanimelist.net/
or http://anidb.net/

Sadly though, as much as I want to hate Vividred Operation, the whole sci-fi makes that up. :oops: 

Ah, I never used any of those websites... I suppose I should start eh? For the moment I can tell you some of my favorites:

Accel World
Chobits
Infinite Stratos
Kokoro Connect
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Steins;Gate
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Rockman.EXE
Ryuusei no Rockman
And obviously, Bomberman Jetterz

As for the anime that I am currently following:
AKB0048
GJ-bu
Kotoura-san
Little Busters
Oreshura
Psycho-Pass
Robotics;Notes
Sakurasou no pet na kanojo
Shinsekai Yori
Tamako Market
Vividred Operation
Yama no Susume

That's a huge list, I should really start using record keeping sites like that but I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#167  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ah nice, some good stuff in there. Kokoro Connect was one of my favorite shows last season.

I'm kind of in the loop with anime right now, falling far behind on many of the shows I picked up. I'm looking to start catching up in the next month.

I've seen 15 episodes of Pet Girl of Sakurasou. It was a mixed bag for me at times in the first half but I mostly enjoyed the first season. I wasn't liking the beginning of the 2nd season much and kind of stalled it.

I watched 6 episodes of Psycho-Pass A month or so ago. I thought it was pretty good but it's the type of show I need to be in the mood for...

Other then that I've been enjoying Tamako Market weekly. Boku no Imouto was Osaka-okan also took me by surprise. I think Kana Asumi saved that show. lol

I just got a new computer this week. My old one could only play 480 and xvid files which sucked. So I'll be looking into picking up some other shows I wanted to watch now. Like the new Hidamari Sketch and Sasami-san at Ganbaranai. I absolutely love Shaft!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the sites go anidb is my favorite.

This is mine. Some of my favorite shows are listed in my top 20.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=userpage&uid=163070

I always tell people the worst part of making one is the initial build getting everything you've seen so far in there. Once that's done it's just updating it with new stuff you watch every few days/weeks/whathaveyou.

I maintain 3 of them silly enough. Anidb.net is definitely my favorite. Best layout and organization and most comprehensive database. The community can be elitist jerks though so I don't partake in much discussion.
I've also made a Mal cause it seems the most popular..

I don't know why I still maintain the Anime-Planet honestly... I don't have any friends on there or anything. I guess cause its not that hard to do and I like wasting too much time on my computer. I also like their recommendation system.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#168  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I just got a new computer this week. My old one could only play 480 and xvid files which sucked. So I'll be looking into picking up some other shows I wanted to watch now. Like the new Hidamari Sketch and Sasami-san at Ganbaranai. I absolutely love Shaft!

Good god, you desperately needed that upgrade. I've found better computers on the side of the road.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#169  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
lol, yeah i did have a better one a year or so ago but it got busted. I've been so strapped for cash that I was just living with my old trooper.

Still gonna keep it around for all my old PC games on it. lol. Warlords, Civil War Generals, and all sorts of stuff.

But yes, I needed it badly! Thank goodness for my tax returns otherwise I'd never been able to get one.
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#170  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
@Regulus777: Ah yes, I've already started one on myanimelist.net... I suppose having more than one list shouldn't hurt. Probably the way the lists are set up is different on each website.

Ah, speaking of computers I have got a question: What do you think would be the best place to keep all the episodes downloaded?
I use a laptop and I have two different partitions, one for programs and other documents and the other partition is for back-up. That's where I have a folder of the anime that I have. Currently I have 63GB, however, more than half of the anime series that are there are of low quality FLV files. Because of my slow internet I download these ones because they are lighter in size. And so one file of 40-60 MB takes about one hour to fully download if nothing happens. But I want to download versions of more quality (from MP4 to avi, maybe) on a later moment, whenever I decide to take the financial chance of getting a better internet connection.

I also have about 4 DVD but I recently heard that DVD is not the best place to keep your stuff anymore. (what happened from 5-7 years ago so that now DVD's are not trusted anymore?)
So yeah, External HD. That is probably the best bet but the thing is: there are too many models, each with their own little things. I thought to myself that I would just need a plain one, with nothing special but am I wrong to think that way?

PS- In case you are wondering how I get the FLV (Flash) files, I just rip them from online players, among the lines of Youtube or mediamotion with a Downlaod Manager.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#171  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
I used to throw them on my external, but currently I don't keep them at all, storage is cheap, but I don't intend to rewatch all that much, and if I do I can probably find it.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#172  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
My downloaded torrents are sent to my external hard drive and that's where I generally keep all my anime.

I still like burning shows I've finished to DVD and then erasing them from my hard drive afterwords so I still have them if I want them for some reason but they don't take up space on my drive anymore. DVDs are pretty cheap now and I think they are still pretty reliable.

In addition to that though I've never had problems with my external hard drive either. I bought it in 2007 and it's still alive and well! It's a Maxtor and I love it. I've never seen them again though...

That must be a ton of shows you have if you've got 63 GB worth and over half of them are that low of quality!

My external is used for a lot of stuff but right now anime is taking up 44 GB out of 150 GB. My music is another 10-12 GB. But in my DVD wallet of anime I have some 110ish DVDs of shows I burned after I finished watching them. They range from 480p (150ish MB per episode) to 720p (250-300 MB an ep) in quality.

I actually collect legitimate copies of anime too and try to pick up shows I watched when they get licensed for American release. I have some 500+ DVDs.

It's an obsession.... heh heh

Oh! and when you've got your page built feel free to friend me.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Regulus777
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#173  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
I went to count my anime folder and it says 47. Some are ongoing though. Also around three or so are just there until I decide what to do with them. Because I liked them, yet I don't feel like re-watching them.

I wish I could get legal copies of DVD's and such but sadly there is little choice in terms of anime here.. same goes for manga.

So nobody can blame me for downloading them. Heck, I am downloading with subtitles in English, rather than my native language, Portuguese. Although the reason for that is that whoever translates to Portuguese does so in Brazillian Portuguese and it's sort of weird for me to read it that way.

Anyway, I've completed my list of anime (I will focus on manga whenever I feel like it) As you can see I've already made a signature as well. Still struggling to find a good picture in the perfect size though...

Oh! Before I forget, I have to thank you Regulus for remembering me of myanimelist. I found various anime that look interesting and others with special episodes of anime hat I've seen. I just emptied a box of tissues today after watching two specials from Clannad: Kyou and Tomoyo Arc
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#174  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
Nice! Looking good.

I haven't gotten to Clannad yet, though I'm looking forward to it when I do. I loved Kanon so I expect to enjoy Air and Clannad as well.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#175  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 am  Reply with quote + 
Clannad was good, I wasn't a huge fan of Air (I'm of the opinion that Key thought that the reason for their success was that they were telling a sad story, and therefore that became the entire focus of Air, and everything else were worse for wear, at least as far as the anime goes). It was well produced, and probably still worth watching though.

--edit-- Just a note, I've not seen either in a long time, and therefore, I'm operating off my faint memory of the shows.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#176  Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am  Reply with quote + 
I was wondering about Shirokuma cafe now I know my answer.
I should watch the show.

Also sorry about the Infinite Stratos thing but harem has never been my cup of tea

Edit: Still it can't be worse than Love Hina or Girls Bravo. I mean there's so much abuse on those two it ain't funny

Yet again: I can't believe I went and put Gundam Seed inside my computer(through someone else's harddrive. Oh well As soon as I finished Gundam Wing(if I ever get to it) I'll try this show...
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#177  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
Haha... I can see why it is not you cup of tea. Sadly, the most recent anime give me no other choice but to watch the Harem setting. At least not ALL of them are fanservice, so that's a plus.

Anyway. The new season has started. Spring! So, any of you guys got your eyes on any new anime?

AS for me, they are various. But the one that I am looking foward the most is Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge. It's about a boy who has the obsession of cutting girls's hair. Then he hears about a girl with a massive long, black hair called "Queen of hair" whose hair cannot be cut. When they meet, she tells him that she is being the target of assassins that use specific weapons called "Killing Goods" And our boy happens to be in possession of one of them.

That's what they said at least, and that was how the first episode went. The second was today and I'm now waiting for it to be subbed.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#178  Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:08 am  Reply with quote + 
Wow, I'm wicked out of the loop right now. I know the new season is underway but I haven't finished my stuff from last season yet, so I haven't researched the new one....

The show you mentioned looks like one I'd almost certainly pass on. Not my thing.

All i know for sure is there are a few sequels this season I'd like to watch.

Oreimo 2 for sure.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9134

and I can probably do more Nyaruko-san! First season was funny enough.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9459

I'm probably gonna force myself to clean up my last season stuff soon. I've been putting it off far too long. Was quite distracted by videogames for awhile, which I think I'm starting to get bored with anyway.

So when I've gotten that all squared away I'll make a late seasonal post.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#179  Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah sad that lately harem is taking a drastic increase... Kanon and Clannad did a good job(hell I can hardly call them harem) but most don't

Probably why the only work I'm interested thus far on 2013 is Tamako Market
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#180  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
@Regulus777: Too many anime on your bag eh? Well good luck for you. This season is nothing out of ordinary really.

Now for something else: I was recommended to watch Guilty Crown... and I did. Last Monday night and finished on Tuesday (I always skipped the opening after all). It was... good and interesting. Not exactly a masterpiece due to some un-logical things here and there. But since it's sci-fi I can forget. After all it's my favorite genre!
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 9 of 12 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2076s
Index - Back to Top