2: Linkin Park

(Faint) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYU-8IFcDPw

1: Green Day

(Ha Ha, You're Dead) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-vTPi6Rm0[/url]
View user profile Send Private Message
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:34 am  Reply with quote + 
Top five bands eh... thats a difficult one, my tastes this month will be proportionately different to next month so its difficult for me to define a top five

in that respect, what i post here will be outdated soon

And pardon my ramblings, i like to explain my choices over music, get me talking about it and its tricky to stop

5) The La's - I brought the self titled album after hearing Noal Gallager (from Oasis) state that this was arguably the first BritPop (90's British indie movement) LP. Fantastic album that inspired many

The La's - There She Goes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX9TDQcCyVE

4) Kraftwerk - A guilty pleasure, i generally wont admit it to people in person but its so refreshing to listen to their music, Electronic music stripped back to the bare minimum before each decade added another layer of un-nececery tweaking that eventually lead to today's pitiful sub-genres

Kraftwerk - The Man Machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T65NpyfPkQ

3) PULP - Jarvis Cocker's (frontman) lyrics are brilliant, that goes for his solo stuff as well. The transition these guys made from the upbeat sound of their early work to the dark melodies of the later albums display two completely different sides to the band. Rumours are there re-forming for a gig at Sheffield's Tramways festival. Hope so.

Early track here, titled 'Babies'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LE9s8RxYg&feature=related

2) Frightened Rabbit - Indie group from Scotland, love the accent in the vocals, songs create a real atmosphere and i generally nostalge over the times i used to spend in Scotland

Frightened Rabbit - Nothing Like You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjfvwTuNqE

1) Animal Collective - Followed these guys for years, i cant express how satisfying it was after years of people asking "Why do you like this experimental nonsense" for the group to produce 'Merriweather Post Pavilion' that received 'best album of 2009' from the critics. Fantastic use of high pitched synths, crashing drums and distinctive vocal style, the early albums and some of the EP's b-sides are my preferred, but they successfully hit mainstream without having to water down and tame the music. That is insanely commendable

Animal Collective - My Girls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'll give it a shot. Some of these have been favorite bands of mine for a long time but a few at the bottom of the list will be arguable. Anyway I'll try to list my Top 5 of all time and I'll list some more Artists after those that are arguably in that range and are also favorites of mine.

5 - The Cranberries - I was still very young when they were popular in the mid 90s and never got into them. I rediscovered then 5ish years ago while watching I love the 90s on TV. Went out and bought their greatest hits, have loved them since.

4 - Fastball - An adult alternative band that scored a few htis in the late 90s Early 00s. I own a few of their albums and love alto of the songs.

3 - Huey Lewis and the News - These guys are awesome. They do great upbeat songs that you can really rock out too and alot of their songs just make you happy and feel good. great singer too.

2 - The Human League - I got into these guys a couple years ago. i started with their popular 80s stuff that played on our 80s station at work, but upon researching them I found out they were still active throughout the 90s and had made an album as recent as 2001 and still tour today. They aren't super popular anymroe liek they were in the 80s but I thought their 90s stuff was some of their best work. I'm pretty sure I have every song they've ever made.

1 - The Police - This was one of my parents' favorite bands and I got into it from them when I was a kid. I eventually collected all their albums and I also have all of their songs ever made. I liek them more then my parents did now. I'm sure this is my favorite band cause I still love them after 10+ years.

-Some of my other favorite artists-

Bjork and here old band before she went solo, The Sugarcubes
Blondie
Duran Duran
Frou Frou
Peter Gabriel
Robert Palmer
Pet Shop Boys

-Some of my favorite bands in recent years but not quite ready for an all time listing-
note* Some of these bands are old but I only got into them in recent years

Franz Ferdinand
JET
Metric
Mono
Nine Inch Nails
Paramore
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 pm  Reply with quote + 
just read through my post, its *beep*ed out Jarvis' second name (Cøcker)

lousy swear filter
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
My five favorite bands, huh... Let's see...

5) Micheal Jackson - What can I say? He's the King of Pop, although I admittedly got back into his work at around the time of his unfortunate death. My favorite songs from him include (but are not limited to) Bad, Dirty Diana, and Smooth Criminal.

4) Gackt - A popular J-Rock/J-Pop singer, some of his more well-known work include Mizerable and Vanilla. A friend of mine helped get me into his work. I have listened to a only handful of his songs, but I love all of them, especially Leeca, Cube, and Mizerable.

3) Goo Goo Dolls - I got into them thanks to my mom. Some of their songs (particularly their older works) have something of a melancholic feel to them, something I love very much. Some favorites of mine are Name, Iris, and Slide.

2) Counting Crows - I also got into them because of my mom. They also have something of a melancholic sound to them in some of their more well known songs. Some of my favorites from them are A Long December, Around Here, and Mr. Jones.

1) The Police - This one's a no brainer. It's pretty much for the same reasons as Reggy. I don't actually own all of their albums, but I have listened to all of their songs and I love almost all of them. It's definitely my favorite band of all time. Some of my favorite songs from them include Synchronicity II, I Can't Stand Losing You, and Every Breath You Take.

Some of my other favorite bands include:

Duran Duran
Robert Palmer
Peter Gabriel
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Fastball
Blondie
Nine Inch Nails
The Killers (although their more of a recent favorite as of right now)

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 am  Reply with quote + 
Lol, I have so much.

5. White Zombie- If you ask me, I like that they added Black Sunshine on Guitar Hero III. I just love Rob Zombie.

4. Dead Kennedys- Once again, thanks to Guitar Hero III, I got hooked into these guys from their song, Holiday in Cambodia. I would so vote Jello Biafra for president.

3. System of a Down- Got hooked into these guys after listening to Question! which is my favorite SOAD song.

2. Nightmare- Thanks to Death Note, I started to really like them, mainly their songs, The World and Alumina.

1. Maximum the Hormone- Once again, thanks to Death Note, I really liked their songs, What's Up People?! and Zetsubou Billy.

Others that I like-

Ali Project
Maaya Sakamoto
Tenacious D
and others that I can't name :p
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 am  Reply with quote + 
Since some of you guys are mentioning Japanese bands I'm gonna add in my favorite ones as well. I kind of put japanese music on a different level then my other favorite bands.

My absolute favorite Japanese band without a doubt is Dreams Come True. They mainly do pop and ballads and can also have a jazzy or R&B sound as well.
Here's my favorite song by them... This is a live version of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3e06mxHCL4

Here's an extra tidbit about DCT. Their bassist Masato Nakamura composed the soundtracks for the first 2 Sonic the Hedgehog games for Sega Genesis. Pretty awesome.

Next up is Probably Round Table feat. Nino. they've done a lot of anime openings as well as some original stuff.

Some anime songs they did

Chobits Opening - Let me Be With You
Welcome to the NHK! Opening - Puzzle
.Hack/Legend of the Twilight Opening - New World
Gunbuster 2 Opening - Groovin' Magic

Some other favorite japanese bands are...

Tokyo Jihen - Rock/Jazz fusion band with awesome screechy/moany singer. Look em up on youtube.

Gackt

I also enjoy alto of anime songs by Megumi Hayashibara or Chisa Yokoyama
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:51 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Since some of you guys are mentioning Japanese bands I'm gonna add in my favorite ones as well. I kind of put japanese music on a different level then my other favorite bands.

I usually do too, but to me, music's music. Since OP didn't specify what kind of bands, I figured all was fair.

Also, I love Megumi Hayashibara. :peace:  Round Table and Dreams Come True are pretty cool too.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1872s
Index - Back to Top