Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Retrogamer?
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 1370]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Mr. X
Bombertrainee

Post#1  Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
In case U don't know, a retrogamer is one who fancies playing video games of older generation. Like Atari, Sega Genesis, NES SNES...
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's somewhat rare you'll find a bomberman fan who isn't a retro-gamer of sorts... though I've indoctrinated a few people into bomberman who just plain aren't I suppose.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'd say I'm very much a Retrogamer though I do play newer titles as well. In general alot of the older stuff was better. My favorite system is probably the Super NES. I still hunt down and play alot of old games.

Not sure how far back your definition of retro goes but I also still play my Sega Saturn. I just recently found a copy of Panzer Dragoon II Zwei. Fun game. Badass soundtrack!

I love a lot of old games.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
I probably don't fit into the "retrogamer" category like some of you guys, since I am almost always playing current or last generation games. I do however like the old school games as well, granted I don't play them as often as I used to. But I still play my N64 and Dreamcast games and even NES or Genesis/Mega Drive games from time to time though.

But yeah, I'm usually almost always playing my PS3/2 games, and sometimes my Wii/GCN games.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
Personally I play more SNES and N64 games than anything else console-wise. I still play old DOS games, but as for PC gaming I tend to try out the indie games... but I do have some PC games that I still play, old and new.

I also have one of those Super Game Boys for the SNES (an adaptor that lets you play GB and older GBC games), though I don't tend to use it as much as anything else.

Most of my console/GB games are Bomberman ones.

That doesn't mean that I don't like anything from the newer generations though; the Smash Brothers series is, in my opinion, possibly one of the most interesting fighting game series I've ever seen, and admittedly I own a copy of Halo 2 for the PC (don't kill me you guys). As well as many other things. But mostly I am still captivated by things of the NES-N64 eras.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
...and admittedly I own a copy of Halo 2 for the PC (don't kill me you guys).

HERETIC! LYNCH HIM! LYNCH HIM!

Nah, I could care less if you like that.

I need to get a Super Nintendo. There were quite a few games on that that I liked, but I just have no time, motivation, or money to hunt one of those down. I'd consider getting one of those unlegit combo consoles (like FC Twin or something), but I read you can't play certain games on it so that's no good.

Do you have a Gamecube, Zaphe? There's actually a Super Game Boy-like adapter for it called a Game Boy Player. That's able to play all Game Boy games (original, Color, and Advance), but it doesn't have the groovy exclusive borders like Super Game Boy and you can't play certain games like you could on the Super Game Boy (Battle Arena Toshinden's 2 Player Versus mode comes to mind). Not that you should just get rid of the Super Game Boy entirely, since it's a nice collector's item and such.

I love Smash Bros. It's the only fighting game series I've played in which I can actually do what I want the character to do, unlike other fighting games where I'd just mash buttons and hope that the character does what I want him/her to do (this is a bit less evident in games like King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, and BlazBlue though). Also one of the few where I still enjoy playing the original game from the time to time and it's just as fun as the latest game, although I feel Brawl's far superior to Melee in just about every way now.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:54 am  Reply with quote + 
I don't have a Gamecube, though I have a Wii but that's not going to do me any good here. I still have the PS2 that belonged to my brother and I years ago, he just sort of let me keep it when I was still in high school and he moved out, so I've had it ever since then. So I guess my gaming platforms are SNES, N64, PS2, Wii, and PC. And I don't really have anything for the Wii and most of my PS2 games are not PS2 games, they're PSX.

But about that Super Game Boy, I bought that for 99 cents at a shop called Rhino Video Games that was in my town several years ago (it moved into the Bermuda Strip Mall of Doom though so it was only there for maybe a little over a year). I'm guessing I must have been the only person with an SNES to walk in there because no one should be able to resist that kind of an offer.

I think places like Vintage Stock and Game X Change usually have an SNES for sale, if you live in the States, though the prices are all over the charts wherever you go. Also, if you want to buy Japanese SFC games, you probably already know this but you should just cut the plastic tabs off of the inside, that'll save you the time and money of getting an adapter and plus you don't have some plugin going between the game and the system.

And yeah, I think what you said about Smash Brothers pretty much sums up my thoughts. You don't have to remember all these ridiculous button combos, and all the jumping and items/weapons make the gameplay more interesting.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2153s
Index - Back to Top