Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
DS or PSP?
[Replies: 7]  [Views: 1476]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
If there is already a topic for this, then I'm probably not aloud to bum pit.
Anyways, I used to think PSP was better than a DS for alot of reasons. Well starting my first days with it, I played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Daxter most of the time. But then when I got Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks a few days later it really harmed my time with the PSP. I originally intended to get either a PlayStation 2 or another 3 $20 PSN cards, but now that I've witnessed what the PSP has to offer now, I know for sure I'm not planning to get any more stuff for my PSP for quite a while (until some true killer apps arive, I'm not going to be thinking about it for a while). Well you may or may not suggest one of those Final Fantasy games, but considering how Daxter and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite got bundled with the PSP in atleast one region (and both sold atleast 2 million copies), I considered those 2 killer apps for the PSP over anything else (even though I do remember there being a PSP bundle for one of the Final Fantasy games). Now I know for sure I'm going to atleast consider Final Fantasy XI, but I'm not considering any of the others until I see how good that one is. Now according to my one neaighbor, he not only knows why I'm not having a good time with my PSP, he also claims he knows exactly why PSP Games sell poorly. He says that nearly every PSP game sucks. I'm serious, he said that. I can agree with him on that (this also coming from the guy who is aware that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is the best PSP Game in existance). But if Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is really the best there is, I'm REALLY disappointed then. Now it may or may not be because of hacking that causes the PSP Games to not sell well (my friend tells me that it's not really hacking though), but to me he has a point. Let's compare Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (the best PSP game), with Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (the best DS games). Monster Hunter Freedom Unite sold around 3.5 million copies in around 3 monthes, and HeartGold and SoulSilver sold around the same amount in a smaller amount of time (about 3-4 weeks actually, if not only 6 weeks [though still faster than MHFU]). Well both of those games are RPGs, so it should make more sense to why they're good (but the difference is that Nintendo advertises it more while Capcom does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to advertise in the U.S. [Kind of funny though, since HeartGold and SoulSilver haven't been released in the U.S. yet. But trust me, it's going to be BIG when it does get released]). Other than what both Companies do to promote it, both of which have advantages over the other. On one hand, you have simple and easy to get used to RPG Gameplay and also amazing and simple Online that can easily allow you to acquire other Pokemon from the version you don't have with ease (plus online battling as well, but you need friend codes for that). On the other hand, you have unusually rough and difficult battles and start off with the weakest weapons in history and have to get used to very awkward camera control and you don't get true online service like Pokemon, but you can have DLC to download and use though. So which do you think would appeal to me more? Easy and simple with a bunch of extras (Pokemon games)? Or hard and difficult but has only DLC and better graphics to support it (MHFU)? I prefer Pokemon alot more, mainly because I've trusted that series for years (I'm only just new to Monster Hunter, so I can't really say much anyways). Now what do I intendo to get for my birthday instead then? Most likely a DSi. Well Sonic Advance bores me now, Jurassic Park III: Park Builder no longer works, and the only reason I need Pokemon Emerald is to acquire Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre (all three of which can be acquired in HeartGold or SoulSilver, so there goes the need for Emerald). So why should I even bother with a DS Lite when I have absolutely no need for the GBA Slot anymore? I shouldn't need to. I just thought about how I didn't need GBA Games anymore when I was only a few weeks away from getting a PSP. I used to think the DSi was a bad idea because of the lack of a GBA Slot, but then when I thought about it more, I felt that a DSi is even better than my plan to get a DS Lite (even though it's $40 more expensive and has a slightly smaller battery life [but the battery life is always around atleast 3 hours from everything I've witnessed with handhelds]). Phew, sorry if I kind of got off-topic with that last bit, but I kind of had to post as much as I can.. x.x
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
This is the only part of the discussion I have any comment on....

Mighty wrote:
Now I know for sure I'm going to atleast consider Final Fantasy XI, but I'm not considering any of the others until I see how good that one is.

I want you to be aware that Final Fantasy XI is very different from the rest of the series. Don't base your opinion of the entire series on one game that is for the most part a different genre entirely from the rest of the series. FFXI is an MMO where as most of the rest of the series are traditional RPGs.

I don't wish to participate in the rest of the discussion for various reasons but for the record I like my DS and PSP about equally so far. I'm not super crazy about either one though.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
This is the only part of the discussion I have any comment on....

Mighty wrote:
Now I know for sure I'm going to atleast consider Final Fantasy XI, but I'm not considering any of the others until I see how good that one is.

I want you to be aware that Final Fantasy XI is very different from the rest of the series. Don't base your opinion of the entire series on one game that is for the most part a different genre entirely from the rest of the series. FFXI is an MMO where as most of the rest of the series are traditional RPGs.

I don't wish to participate in the rest of the discussion for various reasons but for the record I like my DS and PSP about equally so far. I'm not super crazy about either one though.

Well I just want to try out one before I go try another. And as for the last part, I'm not exactly super crazy about either of those handhelds, but now the 2 single greatest handheld games of all time (Pokemon Gold and Silver were my favorite Pokemon games of all time. They had alot of stuff to do despite technical limitations of handhelds at the time.) are being remade for the DS, I'm startinjg to respect the DS with sheer greatness. o.o
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 am  Reply with quote + 
I have a DS, while i might find games for the PSP that are my type, there are definitely more on the DS. The actual unit is more fun to use as well while the PSP just feels like a screen and buttons (mostly screen)

Edit - it was also cheaper :laugh: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:29 am  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
but now the 2 single greatest handheld games of all time (Pokemon Gold and Silver were my favorite Pokemon games of all time. They had alot of stuff to do despite technical limitations of handhelds at the time.) are being remade for the DS, I'm startinjg to respect the DS with sheer greatness. o.o

My favorite Pokemon game was Red. I played thoroughly through Red and Yellow and played about half of Sapphire. I liked all the old Pokemon more. I just thought they were a lot cooler looking, As the games got newer I couldn't get into them much cause they started getting rid of a lot of the Pokemon I liked. I've considered getting fire red or leaf green since they're remakes of the old games and I still might.

My favorite hand-held games of all time.....

Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game boy color. That game has a lot of awesome monsters to get and you have 3 with you at once and they all fight at the same time. It plays like a dungeon crawler where you fight a boss monster at the bottom of each dungeon and there's a random chance he'll join you when defeated. You can also breed monsters. Bred monsters are a lot better then the ones you can catch, they'll have better stats and abilities from both parents. There are also some monsters you can only get through breeding.

My other favorite game is the first Fire Emblem in America on the Game Boy Advance. A Tactical RPG with a great story, cool characters, great music and overall fun and sometimes challenging to play.

My favorite PSP game so far is Final Fantasy Tactics but I haven't thoroughly played through Disgaea yet so that may change.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Mighty wrote:
but now the 2 single greatest handheld games of all time (Pokemon Gold and Silver were my favorite Pokemon games of all time. They had alot of stuff to do despite technical limitations of handhelds at the time.) are being remade for the DS, I'm startinjg to respect the DS with sheer greatness. o.o

My favorite Pokemon game was Red. I played thoroughly through Red and Yellow and played about half of Sapphire. I liked all the old Pokemon more. I just thought they were a lot cooler looking, As the games got newer I couldn't get into them much cause they started getting rid of a lot of the Pokemon I liked. I've considered getting fire red or leaf green since they're remakes of the old games and I still might.

Pokemon Blue was awesome, and Yellow had Jesse and James which made it full of win, but I still liked Blue a little more (probably the nostalgia at work lol). I'd like to get Fire Red/Leaf Green sometime as well. I've tried Silver a long time ago, and I couldn't get into it (then some jerk stole my GBC, although Silver was hardly missed for me lol).

Reggy 777 wrote:
My favorite hand-held games of all time.....

Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game boy color. That game has a lot of awesome monsters to get and you have 3 with you at once and they all fight at the same time. It plays like a dungeon crawler where you fight a boss monster at the bottom of each dungeon and there's a random chance he'll join you when defeated. You can also breed monsters. Bred monsters are a lot better then the ones you can catch, they'll have better stats and abilities from both parents. There are also some monsters you can only get through breeding.

My other favorite game is the first Fire Emblem in America on the Game Boy Advance. A Tactical RPG with a great story, cool characters, great music and overall fun and sometimes challenging to play.

My favorite PSP game so far is Final Fantasy Tactics but I haven't thoroughly played through Disgaea yet so that may change.

Dragon Warrior Monsters was awesome. I actually liked how that one played better then it's more popular rival, Pokemon. It was one of my favorite portable games as well. A second favorite though is kind of hard to decide... Based on how much I played the games, I'd probably say Mega Man Xtreme 2. I played that game a lot back when I was playing it. Either that or Game and Watch Gallery 2. lol

My favorite PSP is also probably War of the Lions, considering how much time I've put into the game (I think I put in more hours into it then even you Reg lol). Although I also liked Portable Ops (for what it was anyway) and Castlevania: the Dracula X Chronicles since it had Symphony of the Night, one of my absolute favorite games of all time, as a unlockable feature.

I also really liked Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, and WarioWare Inc. There's more, but I don't wish to bore others with a rather long list of games.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Bluebon
Bomberbie

Post#7  Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 am  Reply with quote + 
I only use PSP like an MP4.
Donīt like the games
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
If i could make a suggestion mighty, Put paragraphs in your posts

Most peoples reaction to a big square of text is '*beep* that'. It isn't digestible, i certainly didn't read it
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1871s
Index - Back to Top