[Replies: 39]  [Views: 5904]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#21  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
flat out ignoring and criticizing something you think you won't be interested in

I say that kind of stuff because I just don't feel like trusting any other game made by anyone who's not Nintendo, last time I did trust 3rd Parties more often I totally regretted it 3 times before. I could've got Legend of Zelda Wind Waker one time, I see another game that everyone told me was awesome, and I completely blow it by founding out that long load times (by 10 minutes actually), strictly linear gameplay, and short single player mode made me completely regret it. I could've been playing Wind Waker to this day if it wasn't for what everyone fooled me into believing! I also could've been playing Super Mario 64 DS and Bomberman 64: Second Attack, but again I listen to everyone else and it tunrs into rubbish. Well it didn't actually turn out to be just 3 games that were bad, but it was just 3 games that I regret before because I also had the oportunity to get the better game, but everyone else convinced me otherwise. Most of my DS and GameCube and Wii Games are pretty much wrecks and most of them I had to sell and now I fell that my DSand Wii are starting to wear me down because of that.
And so you know, I actually bothered to look up Final Fantasy XI, but I would've considered getting it for PS2 when I decided to get one, it's now Sony's fault that I can't because they removed the Expansion Bay from the PS2 Slim. I know there is also a PC Version, but I need a demo that I can try WITHOUT Having to pay money inorder to see if it's actually worth it like you're saying. Anyone have a link to one if one exists?
ANd I also DO intend to try a few of those games you are talking about, but like I already said, I cannot afford them at the time, and I am saving my money to buy a DSi. That and most of those games are for consoles I don't even have yet.
But I must warn you on this, I had better not regret trying out those games. ALthough, I propably won't regret Kingdom Hearts since I did play Chain of Memory's for the GBA once, and I kind of liked that game. Sorry if that makes you mad by me saying that, but I tend to forget what it is I'm interested in and what I'm not. I only just recently remembered that I played a Kingdom Hearts game once.
View user profile Send Private Message
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#22  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
Quote:
flat out ignoring and criticizing something you think you won't be interested in

I say that kind of stuff because I just don't feel like trusting any other game made by anyone who's not Nintendo, last time I did trust 3rd Parties more often I totally regretted it 3 times before.

...to the point of not even looking at the links we provided? Or even looking up what were talking about? Hate to keep sounding like a jerk about this, but I find that to be a rather weak excuse. :/ There are many great, high-quality titles from third party developers. Heck, third-party titles are amongst some of the few things I ever really get these days, considering Nintendo's current strategy and direction, but I digress.

Mighty wrote:
I could've got Legend of Zelda Wind Waker one time, I see another game that everyone told me was awesome, and I completely blow it by founding out that long load times (by 10 minutes actually), strictly linear gameplay, and short single player mode made me completely regret it. I could've been playing Wind Waker to this day if it wasn't for what everyone fooled me into believing! I also could've been playing Super Mario 64 DS and Bomberman 64: Second Attack, but again I listen to everyone else and it tunrs into rubbish.

Just out of curiosity, what are these "other games" you mention? Also, whose this "everyone else" you are referring to?

Mighty wrote:
Well it didn't actually turn out to be just 3 games that were bad, but it was just 3 games that I regret before because I also had the oportunity to get the better game, but everyone else convinced me otherwise.

Unless they were really mediocre games, I don't really understand how you can regret buying a game when they weren't necessarily bad. I would understand if they were perhaps way below your expectations or just turned out to be pretty crappy and picked it on a whim, but if they weren't bad so to speak I don't really understand how they could be regretful.

Mighty wrote:
Most of my DS and GameCube and Wii Games are pretty much wrecks and most of them I had to sell and now I fell that my DSand Wii are starting to wear me down because of that.

Well, there will always be good and crappy games , regardless of what console you get (although it's much more apparent on Wii, but that's beside the point). It's a matter of finding "the gold", so to speak.

Mighty wrote:
And so you know, I actually bothered to look up Final Fantasy XI, but I would've considered getting it for PS2 when I decided to get one, it's now Sony's fault that I can't because they removed the Expansion Bay from the PS2 Slim.

Can you really blame Sony though? I think only a couple of games actually made use of that thing you're talking about (FFXI being one of them, not even sure about any others). Besides, can you imagine how much of a technical nightmare it'd be to try to get that bulky thing to attach to a PS2 Slim (not to mention how horrendous/ridiculous it would look)?

I know it's not necessarily a solution, but I believe you can play it on a PS3 (the PS2-compatible models, obviously), if you ever decide to get one, and just download a certain item from the PSN store (the item in question is completely free, last I checked). Or you can always try to hunt down a old PS2 and the accessory required.

Mighty wrote:
ANd I also DO intend to try a few of those games you are talking about, but like I already said, I cannot afford them at the time, and I am saving my money to buy a DSi. That and most of those games are for consoles I don't even have yet.
But I must warn you on this, I had better not regret trying out those games.

That's cool. But as already mentioned, that's not what some of us were getting irritated about in the first place. :perplex: 

Mighty wrote:
ALthough, I propably won't regret Kingdom Hearts since I did play Chain of Memory's for the GBA once, and I kind of liked that game. Sorry if that makes you mad by me saying that, but I tend to forget what it is I'm interested in and what I'm not. I only just recently remembered that I played a Kingdom Hearts game once.

I played and finished the second one (I admit it was mostly for research purposes (I was cosplaying as one of the Organization XIII members, Vexen, for an anime convention, but I discovered he wasn't even in the game anyway lol)), it's a pretty cool game. Although I have the first and recently obtained the PS2 remake of Chain of Memories, I have yet to finish either of them, but I plan on doing so in the future. I eventually plan on getting the DS one (361 1/2 Days, I think it was called) simply because I find the idea of playing as any of the Organization XIII members to be really cool. In other words: it's a pretty cool series. Although if you're expecting all of them to play like Chain of Memories, don't. They all play more like third-person action RPGs. But based on what I have played, it's quite a entertaining game.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#23  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
...to the point of not even looking at the links we provided? Or even looking up what were talking about? Hate to keep sounding like a jerk about this, but I find that to be a rather weak excuse. :/ There are many great, high-quality titles from third party developers. Heck, third-party titles are amongst some of the few things I ever really get these days, considering Nintendo's current strategy and direction, but I digress.

Meh, I don't really look into these kinds of videos for some odd reason that I don't even know. Maybe that's why I don't watch Bomberman Jetters like I want to. :/
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what are these "other games" you mention? Also, whose this "everyone else" you are referring to?

You know, I actually can't remember. It's been a few years since I had to deal with that problem.
Edit: I remember a few of them now actually.
Finding Nemo Video Game for GameCube (This was my first mistake, and I was only around 8-9 when I got it). THis game is the reason I don't have Wind Waker. I liked the movie alot so I thought the game would be good. But when I tried to play it, I never even got passed the loading screens because they last FOREVER. The load times are about 10 minutes or so long, and this is why I believe Load Times exist because developers merely chose to program them into the game.
Godzilla Unleashed Doubel Smash for the DS. This is so far my most recent mistake. It happened about 2 years ago at Christmas time, and I got this game because I didn't have a Wii at the time so I couldn't get Godzilla Unleashed for the Wii. I played it the first time, and got rediculiously slow pacing, bad combat, bad graphics, boring levels and repitiveness, and way to hard to play. I'm surprised I even bothered to get a 100% clear file on it. It took me one year to complete it, but provided it wasn't boring like I knew it was, I would've beaten it in less than a day.
Quote:
Unless they were really mediocre games, I don't really understand how you can regret buying a game when they weren't necessarily bad. I would understand if they were perhaps way below your expectations or just turned out to be pretty crappy and picked it on a whim, but if they weren't bad so to speak I don't really understand how they could be regretful.

They were either completely different from what I expected them to be or had unfair amounts of load times, glitches, or some other problems.
Quote:
Well, there will always be good and crappy games , regardless of what console you get (although it's much more apparent on Wii, but that's beside the point). It's a matter of finding "the gold", so to speak.

About that crappy games are mostly on the Wii, is everyone blind when I keep saying a really big game for the Wii is going to be released sometime in Spring? I kept saying that Monster Hunter Tri is going to be a VERY good reason to get a Wii other than Nintendo Games, but nobody really seemed to pay attention. :/
Quote:
Can you really blame Sony though? I think only a couple of games actually made use of that thing you're talking about (FFXI being one of them, not even sure about any others). Besides, can you imagine how much of a technical nightmare it'd be to try to get that bulky thing to attach to a PS2 Slim (not to mention how horrendous/ridiculous it would look)?

No no no, that's not what I meant. I meant why didn't they just have a built in HDD like they did the interent connection hardware? I don't really see why they left a slimmed down HDD out of the plans for the Slim. Although, I do hear from somewhere that modded Slim models can have HDD's built into them... I can't remember where I heard that though.
Quote:
I know it's not necessarily a solution, but I believe you can play it on a PS3 (the PS2-compatible models, obviously), if you ever decide to get one, and just download a certain item from the PSN store (the item in question is completely free, last I checked). Or you can always try to hunt down a old PS2 and the accessory required.

About that, I intend to get the Slim PS3 since it's cheaper, and since it lacks PS2 backward compatibility, I can't exactly try and do that.
Quote:
That's cool. But as already mentioned, that's not what some of us were getting irritated about in the first place. :perplex: 

.........Wha?
Quote:
I played and finished the second one (I admit it was mostly for research purposes (I was cosplaying as one of the Organization XIII members, Vexen, for an anime convention, but I discovered he wasn't even in the game anyway lol)), it's a pretty cool game. Although I have the first and recently obtained the PS2 remake of Chain of Memories, I have yet to finish either of them, but I plan on doing so in the future. I eventually plan on getting the DS one (361 1/2 Days, I think it was called) simply because I find the idea of playing as any of the Organization XIII members to be really cool. In other words: it's a pretty cool series. Although if you're expecting all of them to play like Chain of Memories, don't. They all play more like third-person action RPGs. But based on what I have played, it's quite a entertaining game.

So which do you recommend, the PS2 Chain of Memories or the GBA Chain of Memories (I never said I owned the GBA Version, I just said I played it before)?
And one other thing I should mnetion, nobody bugs me to get any of those games until I finally get Wind Waker like I've been trying to for years. Seriously, I've been interrupted too many times whenever I had the chance to get it so then as soon as I get a DSi and PS2, I'm going to get Wind Waker. SIMPLE AS THAT.
By the way, I just remembered that some of you said you don't know what Monster Hunter is. Well have a look at this video from the currently Japanese Exclusive Monster Hunter Frontier and it should explain everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_3GeAhVHY

Last edited by Mighty on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#24  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
Quote:

Meh, I don't really look into these kinds of videos for some odd reason that I don't even know. Maybe that's why I don't watch Bomberman Jetters like I want to. :/

Mighty, it sounds to me like your problem is you don't do enough research before you buy something. Especially when you say you don't have alot of money which seems to be one of your problems. That makes it all the more important to research the titles you're thinking about buying. Don't take someone else's word for it! You have to find out for yourself if you'll like it.

I am absolutely not saying, "IGNORE EVERYTHING EVERYONE SAYS!"

What I mean is if someone recommends a game to you get as much info about it from them as you can. If you have a friend that says to you "Hey dood, There's this game called Dragon Warrior Monsters out there that's really awesome."

You ask them what its like and how it plays. If they own the title ask them if you can try it out? If you can't try the game out without buying it then you can go onto a wonderful place called the internet and watch videos on it, read reviews or check out a game's website. You can also talk to people on forums like this and get more information from people that played it first hand.

I personally don't suggest basing your entire decision on what others say but just listening to what someone has to say doesn't hurt. I base most of my personal videogame choices on gameplay videos and reading what a game is about on website. Sometimes I'll add in what others say to me, especially when it's friends i know have similar tastes to me. When I'm checking out a game I'll also take note of if it looks similar to other games I've played and how much I liked them. So if a game looks similar to Disgaea but is set in perhaps a scifi world instead of a fantasy one I'd probably be really interested in it. Since I love disgaea and I love scifi.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

You know, I actually can't remember. It's been a few years since I had to deal with that problem.

The fact that you can't even remember these games you spent your hard earned money on and was so disappointed with really bothers me. You'd think you'd remember it so you wouldn't make a similar mistake.

I'm just not taking the bait....

Also, I watched that video you posted. From what I can see it looks like it plays a lot like World of Warcraft or FFXI. I'm guessing the quirk of this game is you hunt all these monsters until you've hunted them all down and you become a master hunter almost like collecting Pokemon only you hunt them instead of capturing them. I'm assuming there are also all sorts of quests you can do on the side. To be honest it really doesn't look that bad and it was developed by Capcom which is one of the better development teams still out there.

I have games that do play similar to this, like Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe, but I don't have much time for MMOs anymore and when I do play one I want to make more progress in PSU or play some Nostalgic PSO. The whole hunting monsters thing doesn't sound bad but when that's you're only really goal is to hunt down all the monsters out there I guess that's not enough for me, but who knows what the future holds maybe I'll try it out someday. I've still got a lot of stuff on my plate right now, and I rarely have the time and motivation at once to work on all my stuff and have been mostly playing cutesy short anime-style games.

Anyway I'm still a bit upset over this whole ordeal. It's hard for people to take anything you say seriously when you dismiss such a great assortment of games for unfounded reasons.

Basically my whole standpoint is....
"This guy thinks all these great games are boring and unoriginal? He doesn't even know what he's talking about. Why should I even listen to what he has to say?"

You need to have a more open mind about what's out there, and really like I said Please do research on games you're thinking about getting. Don't run out and buy something blind just because someone said you should and feel like you have the right to be upset about it afterwords. You'll only be doing yourself a favor.

Last edited by Regulus 777 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:48 pm
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#25  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Mighty wrote:
Quote:

Mighty, it sounds to me like your problem is you don't do enough research before you buy something. Especially when you say you don't have alot of money which seems to be one of your problems. That makes it all the more important to research the titles you're thinking about buying. Don't take someone else's word for it! You have to find out for yourself if you'll like it.

I am absolutely not saying, "IGNORE EVERYTHING EVERYONE SAYS!"

What I mean is if someone recommends a game to you get as much info about it from them as you can. If you have a friend that says to you "Hey dood, There's this game called Dragon Warrior Monsters out there that's really awesome."

You ask them what its like and how it plays. If they own the title ask them if you can try it out? If you can't try the game out without buying it then you can go onto a wonderful place called the internet and watch videos on it, read reviews or check out a game's website. You can also talk to people on forums like this and get more information from people that played it first hand.

I personally don't suggest basing your entire decision on what others say but just listening to what someone has to say doesn't hurt. I base most of my personal videogame choices on gameplay videos and reading what a game is about on website. Sometimes I'll add in what others say to me, especially when it's friends i know have similar tastes to me. When I'm checking out a game I'll also take note of if it looks similar to other games I've played and how much I liked them. So if a game looks similar to Disgaea but is set in perhaps a scifi world instead of a fantasy one I'd probably be really interested in it. Since I love disgaea and I love scifi.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

The fact that you can't even remember these games you spent your hard earned money on and was so disappointed with really bothers me. You'd think you'd remember it so you wouldn't make a similar mistake.

I'm just not taking the bait....

I edited the post about what games made me regret buying them, and I'm trying to remember what other games there were as well. Just give me a while to think about it and I'll have more examples.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#26  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
I also was in the process of editing my last post in regards to your monster hunter game while you were replying.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#27  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
cutesy short anime-style games.

Then this may or may not interest you (provided it gets released in the U.S. that is).
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Bobofango/MH_Diary:_Poka_Poka_Airu_Village_(New_Screenshots!)
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#28  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Finding Nemo Video Game for GameCube (This was my first mistake, and I was only around 8-9 when I got it). THis game is the reason I don't have Wind Waker. I liked the movie alot so I thought the game would be good. But when I tried to play it, I never even got passed the loading screens because they last FOREVER. The load times are about 10 minutes or so long, and this is why I believe Load Times exist because developers merely chose to program them into the game.
Godzilla Unleashed Doubel Smash for the DS. This is so far my most recent mistake. It happened about 2 years ago at Christmas time, and I got this game because I didn't have a Wii at the time so I couldn't get Godzilla Unleashed for the Wii. I played it the first time, and got rediculiously slow pacing, bad combat, bad graphics, boring levels and repitiveness, and way to hard to play. I'm surprised I even bothered to get a 100% clear file on it. It took me one year to complete it, but provided it wasn't boring like I knew it was, I would've beaten it in less than a day.

See this is more like it! When you provide examples people can take you more seriously.

As for finding Nemo you were just a kid dood. It's a mistake lots of kids make. I've got a few games I bought as a child that ended up being terrible. I blew them out of proportion and didn't do any research on them.

A fine example is a SNES game called Simant. I basically looked at the covered imagined what it would be like and bought it. terrible mistake... Here I was thinking oh this is probably some crazy shit like a strategy game where you harvest ant colonies and take over other ones through combat. My imagination went wild. Had I watched this video I never ever would have bought it. Boringest shit ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucLyqEboGM

Yes basically I was right. It's about establishing an ant colony and taking over the other one but it's pretty difficult, hard to understand, it feels old and clunky and I found it boring to play. The fact that I was playing the SNES version probably doesn't help either. Playing on a computer with a mouse probably would've been a little better.

I also bought a copy of 1942 for NES a looong time ago simply cause I played and loved an arcade game called 19XX: The War Against Destiny. I figured hey it's the same series, I'm sure its good.

This is the awesome shooter I played in the arcade....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y41Ki6ztNzg

This is the garbage I ended up buying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTR6U2a9dg

You can see why I was disappointed. I was a stupid kid and if I was older I would've known better then to think an NES game could ever match the quality of that gorgeous arcade shooter.

You make mistakes when you're young cause you assume something is gonna be the way you envision it or you take someone else's world for it. If you read up on something before you buy it you should have less regrets in the future.

And you can trust me when I say the games I mentioned earlier will be better then a game based off of Finding Nemo. lol, but to find out if it's something you'll like you really need to check it out first.

If you're current goal is to get Wind Waker then don't let us distract you, but the next time you're gonna get a game check out the ones we mentioned.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#29  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
Quote:

As already said, you were younger and didn't know.
But, as a heads up, most movie-to-games suck (especially something like Finding Nemo or whatever, stuff generally aimed towards little kids). lol Although the keyword is most, there are some that are quite good, if not sometimes better then the actual movie, but that's something you'd have to research and try out to find out for yourself.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

They were either completely different from what I expected them to be or had unfair amounts of load times, glitches, or some other problems.

Okay, I can accept that.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

About that crappy games are mostly on the Wii...

Don't put words in my mouth (or whatever the Internet equivalent would be). That's not what I said, I said it's more apparent on the Wii. What I meant is that it's harder to find good games for the Wii when there is a undeniably large heap of garbage in the console's library. There are some good games on the Wii too, it just requires more effort to find.

Mighty wrote:
...is everyone blind when I keep saying a really big game for the Wii is going to be released sometime in Spring? I kept saying that Monster Hunter Tri is going to be a VERY good reason to get a Wii other than Nintendo Games, but nobody really seemed to pay attention. :/

I wouldn't say that everyone's "blind." That's a subject that really boils down to a matter of opinion. I dunno, if I look into it, I may be interested in it, but from what I've read from the other games, it doesn't sound very appealing to me (not too mention I've lost a lot of faith in the Wii, seriously only considering getting like 2-4 games for it and probably be done with it). I dunno, we'll see in due time I suppose.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

No no no, that's not what I meant. I meant why didn't they just have a built in HDD like they did the interent connection hardware? I don't really see why they left a slimmed down HDD out of the plans for the Slim. Although, I do hear from somewhere that modded Slim models can have HDD's built into them... I can't remember where I heard that though.

Same reason they didn't leave the ports for it, probably. Plus, as I already mentioned, they probably figured there were only a handful of games that took advantage of that anyway.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

About that, I intend to get the Slim PS3 since it's cheaper, and since it lacks PS2 backward compatibility, I can't exactly try and do that.

Personally, I would focus on getting one of the PS2-backwards compatible ones myself, as I prefer to have one system that can play three consoles worth of games rather then have one that can play two and another that can play the other, but if that's not something you can do, then I can see why you'd want to go with the cheaper alternative.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

.........Wha?

(sigh) times like this I wish there was a facepalm emote. Kidding.

The reason we were getting irritated was mentioned a couple of times already, but I think fireball said it best.

fireball87 wrote:
Your unwillingness to even give any thought to berating things you obviously have no experience with is starting to get on my nerves.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

So which do you recommend, the PS2 Chain of Memories or the GBA Chain of Memories (I never said I owned the GBA Version, I just said I played it before)?

Seeing as the PS2 one is supposed to be the enhanced remake and the PS2 is obviously better equipped then the GBA, I'd say the PS2 one based entirely on that (unless you think you're more likely to play it on the go, then probably the GBA). The PS2 one has more voice-acting, better cutscenes, and is really a updated version of the game. The disadvantage is that it's not portable, and if you already played one of them, you pretty much played them both.

Mighty wrote:
And one other thing I should mnetion, nobody bugs me to get any of those games until I finally get Wind Waker like I've been trying to for years. Seriously, I've been interrupted too many times whenever I had the chance to get it so then as soon as I get a DSi and PS2, I'm going to get Wind Waker. SIMPLE AS THAT.
By the way, I just remembered that some of you said you don't know what Monster Hunter is. Well have a look at this video from the currently Japanese Exclusive Monster Hunter Frontier and it should explain everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_3GeAhVHY

Okay, I'm fine with that. Get what you want first, then check out our recommendations sometime when you feel like it.

And seeing as replying to just one post ended up this long, I'll just end this post by saying that I pretty much agree with everything Regulus said.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#30  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I also bought a copy of 1942 for NES a looong time ago simply cause I played and loved an arcade game called 19XX: The War Against Destiny. I figured hey it's the same series, I'm sure its good.

You had your NES really late as a kid, 19XX was released in the US arcades in 1996. (the year after the nes was discontinued I guess, but well into the and nearing the end of the SNES erra) You sure you're thinking of 19XX?

And I like the early 19XX series games, though 1943 was better then 1942 in every way, mostly cause it replaced that annoying background beeping with memorable musics. I actually tend to prefer the earlier ones to 19XX, though my favorite is 1941. 19XX was a more modern bullet hell SHUMP, and while I like that style of shump as well, I'd normally rather play Giga Wing or some of the Aero Fighters or something else. Perhaps I'll play some 19XX on my arcade machine this week just for you though.

As for what the NES can offer in shooters, 1942 isn't exactly a great example, just a decent implimentation of a arcade game of the early nes days. I'll still take Life Force and The Guardian Legend over most shooters of the 90s. One of the two is certain to be in my list of greatest games, if not the only shump in that list. Though that's just because I don't consider all that many shumps to be truly amazing.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#31  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 am  Reply with quote + 
By the way, is there like a demo version of Final Fantasy XI that I can try? I want to physically play a peice of it before I think about buying it.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#32  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:

You had your NES really late as a kid, 19XX was released in the US arcades in 1996. (the year after the nes was discontinued I guess, but well into the and nearing the end of the SNES erra) You sure you're thinking of 19XX?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it was 19XX, though it may have also been Strikers 1999. Either way it had planes and tanks that turned into robots.

As for having my NES late, I've had my NES a lot longer. I just still buy games for it even to this day. The last game I bought was LOLO at my local comic shop the other day, before that was re-acquiring a copy of Metal Storm last summer.

I probably bought my copy of 1942 in the late 90s early 00s back in my heyday of discovering "funcoland". No American port was made of 19XX or 1999 I'm pretty sure, but as a kid I didn't really think there would be much difference.

Back then a lot of my decision in buying a game reflected on the cartridge art sadly. cause that's all I could really find out about the game in the store and my mom would only take me there every other week so I wanted to get out with something, y'know?
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#33  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Back then a lot of my decision in buying a game reflected on the cartridge art sadly. cause that's all I could really find out about the game in the store and my mom would only take me there every other week so I wanted to get out with something, y'know?

Yeah, sometimes the art on the cover or some other stuff usually convinces me to get the game. It doesn't really effect me anymore, but sometimes I like how some covers are designed, those examples mostly being Monster Hunter Freedom, Daxter, Wind Waker (Which I'm still going to try and get), and maybe some others. But there are times where the cover copletely lies about things, such as that Finding Nemo game and Godzilla Unleashed Double Smash which I already said. And there's also Cabela's Legendary Adventures, which most of the Cabela's games say that they;re the world's number 1 hunting games, which is actually false depending on which game it is. So far Legendary Adventures was the worst and Big Game Hunter 2005 was the best.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#34  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
here's an example of misleading art....

Who would've thought this game would be so damn good?
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#35  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
As for having my NES late, I've had my NES a lot longer. I just still buy games for it even to this day. The last game I bought was LOLO at my local comic shop the other day, before that was re-acquiring a copy of Metal Storm last summer.

I probably bought my copy of 1942 in the late 90s early 00s back in my heyday of discovering "funcoland". No American port was made of 19XX or 1999 I'm pretty sure, but as a kid I didn't really think there would be much difference.

Adventures of Lolo, I hope you've got the recipt. Most recent game I bought was star tropics, before that Defender II, I haven't played either yet though, as my nes needs the pins replaced again and I've been playing mostly emulated stuff.

Luckily for me even though I got my nes late I had 3 older brothers to help build the collection for me, all of which had played alot of the games when they were new. Heck, I played alot of the later ones when they were new, it's strange to have memories of games from when you were 3. I should probably start collecting SNES games soon as the list of NES games I actually want is lowering even with playing new ones over emulation. Though I've been helping a friend in my old town get his SNES collection up to date, which has helped me be able to play alot of those games.

--edit-- atleast megaman 2's cover isn't as bad as megaman 1s... *glances over at his copy of megaman 2* uggh, the sad part is it's even worse in person. It kindof looks like Dr. Light is sexually assaulting the guy with drill hands who I'm going to guess is supposed to be crash man, seeing as drill-man doesn't appear tell MM4.

--double edit--
"State of the art! High Resolution!" Wha?... in what universe is MM2 any more state of the art or high resolution then any decent NES game before it.

--triple edit--
And i don't think your ankle is supposed to bend like that.

Last edited by fireball87 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#36  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:

Strange..... I always thought MegaMan was the more anime style person.......... o-o
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#37  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:

Strange..... I always thought MegaMan was the more anime style person.......... o-o

If you look at Mega Man today, that's correct. But you have to remember that is cover art for a NES game. Quite a few of those games had some awful artwork. lol

Recent stuff I'm into:

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#38  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 am  Reply with quote + 
You gotta remember the era in which this game was released. Just look at the English Bomberman cover arts... :hilarious: 

The original Japanese Rockman 2 box art was this: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2008/09/boxart-mm2-jp.jpg

fireball87 wrote:
And i don't think your ankle is supposed to bend like that.

LOL! I didn't notice that before you mentioned it.

The way this cover art is, it makes me think of one of those really old sidescrollers with the stricter physics. You know, where the jumping is kind of slow but once you start in a direction, you cant stop... And the weird little laser pistol Megaman is holding reminds me of some Star Wars or Star Trek thing... Suddenly I want to play a retro, minimalistic platformer with stuffy physics and laser pistols.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#39  Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 am  Reply with quote + 
lol, yeah those were the days. By Megaman 3 the art started getting a lot better.

I would've posted the Megaman 1 artwork cause its definitely even more terrible but I didn't think MM1 was all that great a game especially compared to MM2.

These guys making the art weren't really educated on the games story or anything either apparently. I like how Dr. Light's all like "Crash Man! Kill Megaman!" Isn't Dr.Light the good guy?

My comment on the Original bomberman artwork. You're talking about the one where he looks like this crazy robot with a cannon right? He's looks more like Robo Warrior then the art of Robo Warrior's cover did. ha ha. It was cool art in my opinion but it was indeed the totally wrong image of bomberman.

ooooh one last thing.

Quote:
"State of the art! High Resolution!" Wha?... in what universe is MM2 any more state of the art or high resolution then any decent NES game before it.

yeah I agree although if it was one of the later Megaman games I could give a few points in its defense cause 5, 6 and even 4 somewhat all made excellent use of the NES' capabilities. 5 and 6 had gorgeous backgrounds where alot of NES games just had a flat color or only a few minor details. The later Megaman games used alot of tricks too like scrolling backgrounds and shifting the screen slightly up and down in Chargeman's stage to show the train is moving. The Megaman games were very polished but this is only Megaman 2 so we didn't really see that yet so I wouldn't call it state of the art.
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#40  Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
My comment on the Original bomberman artwork. You're talking about the one where he looks like this crazy robot with a cannon right? He's looks more like Robo Warrior then the art of Robo Warrior's cover did. ha ha. It was cool art in my opinion but it was indeed the totally wrong image of bomberman

To this day I still wonder if the idea for Bomber King/RoboWarrior actually came about as a result of the US boxart. The similarities are way uncanny.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 2 Page: Previous  1, 2

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.3041s
Index - Back to Top