Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
The Fan/Indie/Doujin Games Topic
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 1651]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
I felt like discussing (and showcasing) different kinds of fan/indie/doujin games that are out there, so I made this topic. Since it doesn't necessarily have to be Bomberman based ones, I felt it would be more appropriate to have this topic here. But, if not, feel free to move it where you see fit. Also, feel free to discuss of your own projects and such here.

One of the main ones I'm really excited for is a Mario fangame called "Mushroom Kingdom Fusion". Simply speaking, it's one of the biggest fan game projects I've ever seen, with about five or so people working on the game (and that's not including the fans of the game creating levels/graphics for the game). It was originally created by JudgeSpear, whom some of you may or may not be familiar with.

Anyway, it's essentially a Mario fangame, with different gameplay elements taken from different games of the series and completely new ones entirely (picking up and throwing veggies and other stuff is back and guns are introduced in the game (don't worry, it's not bloody and gory)), but what really separates it from others is that you can play as all sorts of different characters (such as Sonic, Tails, Samus, Wario, Kirby, and even Roll of Mega Man fame, and Arthur of Ghouls and Ghosts/Ghosts and Goblins fame) all of which play quite differently, but still designed to fit in with the overall Mario feel of the game. You can also travel to different worlds based on different games/themes (there's a typical Mushroom Kingdom based world, a Mega Man based world, a general Nintendo based world, a world based on our planet Earth, and more).

What's also rather unique about it is that the community for it also plays a role in the game's development. They can create levels for the game that could be used in the final game (if they have an good understanding of Game Maker), create graphics/alternate skins to be used in the game, amongst other things. They can even add some suggestions that could be used/implemented in the game. Here's a link for the official forum for the fangame.

There are tons of videos of the game on YouTube (both official from the team members and unofficial) and all you would need to do is simply search for "Mushroom Kingdom Fusion" and you'll find a ton of different videos.

The game's currently on version 0.3 and isn't quite done yet, but it looks really promising and I'm looking quite forward to playing through it sometime.

So how about Bomberman Board? Any fan/indie/doujin games you feel like discussing and/or showing off?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
That game looks pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that under my watch from now on. :peace: 

I'll just give a list of some of my favorite indie games, in no particular order:

Cave Story: You've probably heard of this already, because it's a few years old. It's a shooting platformer with various different weapons, a lot of enemies and huge bosses, great graphics, sounds and music... It's great.

Spelunky: A unique platformer in which you control an adventurer on a journey underground in search of treasure and dames. You've got a whip, and limited bombs and ropes, amongst other various weapons and equipment that can be found or bought. What makes this game unique is that it is a roguelike platformer - the levels are randomly generated, and once you die, it's all over. Fortunately you can purchase shortcuts to three of the four areas. Oh yeah, the source code is going to be released sometime soon, if you've got any background in Game Maker or if you want to learn some (that is, if it's commented).

Lyle in Cube Sector: A retro-style platformer (again? these are all platformers...), where the action centers around the grabbing and chucking of various types of cubes. The music is very ambient, the kind of thing that you might end up listening to on a loop while you go about doing other things (all the music is externally loaded).

Little Fighter 2: I've talked about this one enough. It's a fighting game, kind of like Double Dragon. Also, everything is editable, if you're willing to take the time.

Also, a good indie developer to look at is Matt Thorson. In particular, try "An Untitled Story", "Jumper Three", and "MoneySeize". Be warned - the latter two games I mentioned are for hardcore platformer-gamers only, or at least people with a lot of patience for that sort of thing... like me.

As for works in progress, Serkol and I have been keeping tabs on Another Metroid 2 Remake, which is a project to recreate Metroid 2 (an old Gameboy game) in the Super Metroid style. There is an engine demo currently up. The guy has really pulled it off, I'd say. It might interest you to know that it's being built in Game Maker.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them at the time. I might make another post later if I can dig up anything else I forgot.

(Oh yeah... I'm kind of surprised that I'm the only one to reply to that guy who posted his indie Bomberman game on the board. It's definately one of the better clones I've seen, and I've seen a lot of bad or generally lackluster clones.)
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:02 am  Reply with quote + 
Cave Story is pretty awesome! I have it on my comp. I haven't finished it but I did get a good 2-3 hours into it and found a few of the weapons.

Other then that most of the doujin stuff I like has already been discussed. Pretty much all Japanese stuff. Touhou Project and all it's spinoffs.

I also love Melty Blood, a really good 2D fighter almost on par with the likes of the Guilty Gear series. It's also fan translated and has a really deep story with lots of text.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ok, I think I've already mentioned 65 Million and 1 BC somewhere already, but if not, here's your sign, er, I mean, link: http://www.65millionand1bc.com/
As for the game itself, it's alot like the earlier game, Raptor, but it has improved graphics, easier control options (kind of hard to get used to at first), and very funny cutscenes. Just play the demo first and see what I mean. If you want the full game, you'll have to pay $10 for it.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
I remember you mentioning that game, actually... I never did beat Raptor because the hard drive that I had it on crashed a year or so ago. I'll have to get back to that sometime.

Here's a few more choice games...

If you like ambient games, there's Nifflas' Within a Deep Forest and Knytt. Knytt is less about gameplay and more about environment, while Within a Deep Forest sort of has both (it has some infuriating moments if I remember right). On the same site you'll also find Knytt Stories, which allows people to make their own Knytt games, but they usually just end up being purposefully silly, unpurposefully tacky, or just more of the same gameplay. There are a few good ones out there though.

Poyo is a fine game with some incredible chiptunes (Pamp Radion is practically my theme music by now) and an interesting gameplay element: the ability to "warp", which is both a key element of your movement and your only method of attack. I've played this several times and taken it with me to different places, though I'm still not sure what it is that makes me like this game so much. You might need to use the GM6-Vista Converter to convert the .exe and run it properly if you've got Vista.

I know I'm still missing some games here, but I think I've listed more than enough for now anyway.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 am  Reply with quote + 
Cave Story was pretty cool. Reminded me a bit of really simplistic Metroid-ish kind of game. Never finished it or played too much of it, but I did like what I played.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
As for works in progress, Serkol and I have been keeping tabs on Another Metroid 2 Remake, which is a project to recreate Metroid 2 (an old Gameboy game) in the Super Metroid style. There is an engine demo currently up. The guy has really pulled it off, I'd say. It might interest you to know that it's being built in Game Maker.

I'm interested in this, seeing as I love the Metroid games. Do I need a "good" computer to try it? My computer isn't exactly the best out there.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
I think it's made in Game Maker 7, so all you need are the requirements to play games built with that. As long as you don't rely on integrated graphics I think you should be fine.

Cave Story is a really great game, you guys should find some time to finish it. Then play it again with a walkthrough so you can reach the secret final level (unless you're a badass and already have met the requirements for it :cool:  ).
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1982s
Index - Back to Top