BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Square-Enix: Consoles set for extinction...
[Replies: 16]  [Views: 3098]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Poll Results

When (or will) consoles go extinct?
Yes
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes
 25%  [ 1 ]
Yes
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes: 4

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
The article wrote:
“In ten years’ time a lot of what we call ‘console games’ won’t exist,” he {Yoichi Wada, CEO of Square-Enix} said.

Wada warned that “all the distributors and sales firms will suffer a big negative impact” from a new era in which interactive entertainment switches from software run on hardware in the home to server-based offerings, game streaming and digital distribution.

Read all about it here.

Umm... lol wut?

Sorry, but home consoles aren't dying anytime soon. People are, in fact, still buying consoles on an almost regular basis. People are still buying console games too.

So no, I don't think consoles are going away in 10, 15, or even 20 years. Heck, I'm willing to bet we'll still have consoles 30 years from now.

So what are the thoughts of the BombermanBoard crew?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
That's ridiculous.

Yes, he's right in saying that network games are the future - people like multiplayer experiences, and connecting to others online makes it a lot easier to get that. But you still need some sort of hardware to connect to a network. Thus, a console.

What this guy is essentially saying is that everything will run off of a basic computer... That's already happening. Those are called computer games for a reason. I honestly doubt that companies like Nintendo will stop producing consoles, they're already opposed to having their games ported to other platforms. Also, Xbox came from freaking Microsoft, a company that already makes computers and computer games. These companies are competing for a particular market. They're not about to give it up.

Besides, even with computers there are several operating systems to choose from, and incompatibilities abound. It's not like there's going to be one go-to system for everything - there's always going to be competition, unless you're in some kind of totalitarian state where you all use the same thing because it's owned by the government.

Console-oriented companies would have to be nuts to start preparing for something like this unless there was clear evidence that it would expand their market. And there isn't.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
I predict Square-Enix to die before console gaming... which won't be much sweat off my back, as the merger took 2 excellent companies and turned them into one mediocre company bent on destroying their old fanbases.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#4  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:29 am  Reply with quote + 
I don't think consoles are going anywhere in the near future but the production of hardware has seemed to slowdown considerably compared to the last few generations. This generation has been ongoing for what 5ish years now? Yet we still haven't really heard anything regarding what the next systems are going to be like. In the last generation after 5 years had gone by we knew the next generation was already on the horizon. So anyway hardware progression seems to be slowing down considerably.

Who knows? Maybe consoles are going to be gone sometime in the next 20 years? Probably not just 10 years though, but I'd say 20 is possible.

To be honest, even if consoles are still around in 15 years I won't be buying them anymore. My interest in the new consoles has dwindled so much by this point. I think I might eventually get a PS3 and will probably not get the other 2. Very slight chance I'll pick up a Wii when it eventually gets super cheap 5ish years from now. lol

Oh by the way, I also agree that Square-Enix has suffered horribly since the merge.

Man.........
Why has all the videogame talk been so depressing lately?
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well I can pretty much say Cosnoles won't be dying in that time. I'd actually give it around 50 years or so in case something like that does happen. And as for the use of Digital Distribution like that qoute, we all know that isn't going to well anyways. While it has potential, all the good games haven't been released that way yet, and the PSP Go is currently the only system I know using it to that kind of extant, and is getting complaints how it doesn't have good games as downloads yet, such as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Daxter. And as for hardware progression slowling down like Reg said, I actually agree. I really haven't noticed a change in graphics from Generation 6 consoles to Generation 7 consoles. I noticed a MAJOR graphical jump from Generation 5 to Generation 6, but not to Generation 7. Exactly how did graphics get better for Generation 7 anyways? I can't really tell.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#6  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well some of this generations systems are HD compatible now so they look a lot sharper, cleaner, brighter, etc. but there isn't a crazy graphical difference like there was with N64 - GCN. Which probably explains why we aren't seeing anything new. There's just not much more to do to make graphics better. That's why i see a possibility of consoles ending in the future. The next thing these companies are reeling on is all this digital download mumbo jumbo...

I hate it to be honest with you. I'd much rather own hard copies of games. I'm a collector for one so i can flaunt my games on my shelf for visitors of my home to see. In addition to that, owning a hard copy is better then a download cause you can lend it to a friend or take it somewhere else. If something happened to your system you wouldn't have to buy the game again you'd still have the hard copy. Don't get me wrong stuff like virtual console is kind of cool but keep in mind those games are only like 5-10 bucks, so losing them if something happened isn't that bad. If all games go digital they'll still be charging you 40+ a pop for new games and you can say goodbye to going to a store to buy them used.

DLC only and game streaming is all made of phail. I'd rather go out and buy a disc any day.

The more I think about it I can say we can hope to see 1... maybe 2? more generations of consoles, but the generations themselves will actually last longer to make that stretch over 10 years.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Man.........

Search down deep inside. You know it to be true.

lol nerd moment

Mighty wrote:
Well I can pretty much say Cosnoles won't be dying in that time. I'd actually give it around 50 years or so in case something like that does happen. And as for the use of Digital Distribution like that qoute, we all know that isn't going to well anyways. While it has potential, all the good games haven't been released that way yet, and the PSP Go is currently the only system I know using it to that kind of extant, and is getting complaints how it doesn't have good games as downloads yet, such as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Daxter.

You'd be surprised how often people complain that certain things aren't DLC based. As I mentioned in my other topic "What games are you playing/looking forward to", some people are whining that BlazBlue 2 should be released as DLC and then there's the expansion to RE5, which is only seeing a hard copy release in Japan and everywhere else gets it as DLC. DLC is, unfortunately, growing in popularity, no matter how stupid it may be or how questionable it is to release it as DLC exclusive.

Mighty wrote:
And as for hardware progression slowling down like Reg said, I actually agree. I really haven't noticed a change in graphics from Generation 6 consoles to Generation 7 consoles. I noticed a MAJOR graphical jump from Generation 5 to Generation 6, but not to Generation 7. Exactly how did graphics get better for Generation 7 anyways? I can't really tell.

Well, to be fair, how much better can graphics get when it's reaching the point that it can almost resemble real life?

Have you seen the graphics that PS3 games have? Some of the games I've played on that are absolutely gorgeous; and are even more so on a HD TV. The two best examples I can give you are MGS4, which looks amazing even on a SD TV; and Soul Caliber IV, which is absolutely incredible looking in HD. I suppose it's only really noticeable on HD, but make no mistake; the PS3 and, I suppose, the 360 look better graphically then the last generation (as for Wii, since it uses the same hardware as the GCN, it's going to look more or less the same).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:
Man.........

Search down deep inside. You know it to be true.

lol nerd moment

Mighty wrote:
Well I can pretty much say Cosnoles won't be dying in that time. I'd actually give it around 50 years or so in case something like that does happen. And as for the use of Digital Distribution like that qoute, we all know that isn't going to well anyways. While it has potential, all the good games haven't been released that way yet, and the PSP Go is currently the only system I know using it to that kind of extant, and is getting complaints how it doesn't have good games as downloads yet, such as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Daxter.

You'd be surprised how often people complain that certain things aren't DLC based. As I mentioned in my other topic "What games are you playing/looking forward to", some people are whining that BlazBlue 2 should be released as DLC and then there's the expansion to RE5, which is only seeing a hard copy release in Japan and everywhere else gets it as DLC. DLC is, unfortunately, growing in popularity, no matter how stupid it may be or how questionable it is to release it as DLC exclusive.

Mighty wrote:
And as for hardware progression slowling down like Reg said, I actually agree. I really haven't noticed a change in graphics from Generation 6 consoles to Generation 7 consoles. I noticed a MAJOR graphical jump from Generation 5 to Generation 6, but not to Generation 7. Exactly how did graphics get better for Generation 7 anyways? I can't really tell.

Well, to be fair, how much better can graphics get when it's reaching the point that it can almost resemble real life?

Have you seen the graphics that PS3 games have? Some of the games I've played on that are absolutely gorgeous; and are even more so on a HD TV. The two best examples I can give you are MGS4, which looks amazing even on a SD TV; and Soul Caliber IV, which is absolutely incredible looking in HD. I suppose it's only really noticeable on HD, but make no mistake; the PS3 and, I suppose, the 360 look better graphically then the last generation (as for Wii, since it uses the same hardware as the GCN, it's going to look more or less the same).

Can I have some examples of these gorgeous PS3 games? I contsantly have trouble imagining what the PS3 is capable of, and from what I hear, it must be pretty powerful.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:10 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Mighty wrote:

Can I have some examples of these gorgeous PS3 games? I contsantly have trouble imagining what the PS3 is capable of, and from what I hear, it must be pretty powerful.

I... um... already mentioned two, but okay...

Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay video.
A random gameplay screenshot.
A random cutscene screenshot.

Soul Calibur 4 (for PS3) gameplay footage.
Some custom characters duking it out.
Two of the game's characters, Sophitia and Raphael, in battle.

But as I already mentioned;
I wrote:
I suppose it's only really noticeable on HD, but make no mistake; the PS3 and, I suppose, the 360 look better graphically then the last generation (as for Wii, since it uses the same hardware as the GCN, it's going to look more or less the same).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
I can see server based games taking off, but its only going to appeal to a certain demographic, There are people who will not understand any way of buying and playing a game that doesn't involve wandering down to a shop and physically inserting the media into whatever it works with.

Like Regulus, i'm one for preferring a physical object to represent a purchase of this type. Server based games will effect my purchasing of boxed games just as much as the iTunes store and equivalent effected my buying of CDs. Not at all
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#11  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:00 am  Reply with quote + 
I have to agree, pure software games becoming the main gaming media over CDs/Cartridges is not something I foresee happening, especially with all the piracy shenanigans going around.

Not only that, but despite all of the computer technology advancements, the general population just aren't tech savvy enough to fully utilize such services and would just stick to what's tried and true here, that or they just don't want to fool around with it. Not only that, but internet access still isn't a completely world-wide thing yet. My household is still limited to 56k/dial-crap connection despite all these 5 years, making obtaining these 500 MB+ (and growing) filesize games a nightmare to download.

I have to agree on the Squeenix rant, especially after beating FFV, Chrono Trigger, and FFVI, and then playing some of their newer titles like TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts, and watching some newgen FFs; their newer games feel more like interactive movies... And the original concepts of the early FF games are totally nonexistent in the modern ones. I had more fun playing FFV and FFVI than I did their newer titles.

Last edited by BlueBomberman on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
AoBman05 wrote:
Not only that, but despite all of the computer technology advancements, the general population just aren't tech savvy enough to fully utilize such services and would just stick to what's tried and true here, that or they just don't want to fool around with it. Not only that, but internet access still isn't a completely world-wide thing yet. My household is still limited to 56k/dial-crap connection despite all these 5 years, making obtaining these 500 MB+ (and growing) filesize games a nightmare to download.

I know someone who doesn't even have internet access at her house, so yeah. We definitely aren't living in a age where everyone has interwebs at their disposal (let alone a good connection).

AoBman05 wrote:
I have to agree on the S-E rant, especially after beating FFV, Chrono Trigger, and FFVI, and then playing some of their newer titles like TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts, and watching some newgen FFs; their newer games feel more like interactive movies... And the original concepts of the early FF games are totally nonexistent in the modern ones. I had more fun playing FFV and FFVI than I did their newer titles.

Yeah, Square has only really declined in quality since their merge. The only new things from S-E I like (or show interest in) is Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Cross (been meaning to try that for a while now), and I'm also moderately interested in Dissidia. But yeah, FF is nothing like it used to be. Square's trying too hard too remake 7 (which, in my honest opinion, is an overrated game anyway, but that's another story for another day). The only FF games I'm really interested in playing are 3 and 9, and the only ones I've bothered giving a good amount of effort to are FF4 (which I still need to finish. Ah, procrastination, how I love thee!!) and FF Tactics.

Oh, and if it counts, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 was kind of cool too.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#13  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well now that I think about it, consoles might be dying. Given how handheld consoles are quickly ctahing up to what consoles are capable of (PSP being the big example), it's only a matter of time before handheld systems claim dominence. AN early example showing this is the sales. If Wii didn't have the focus on casual gamers like it did, the PSP and DS would be the best selling systems.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#14  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
I don't know... handheld systems have a totally different appeal than console and computer games do. The screens are so tiny too, I'm not against handheld systems but I never play on them.

Although if consoles became something similar to laptops...
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
I don't know... handheld systems have a totally different appeal than console and computer games do. The screens are so tiny too, I'm not against handheld systems but I never play on them.

Although if consoles became something similar to laptops...

Well the PSP Screen seems big enough to me.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 am  Reply with quote + 
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Chrono Cross
Chrono Cross was made before the merger... actually most of those games you mentioned were pre-merger.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_games
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Chrono Cross
Chrono Cross was made before the merger... actually most of those games you mentioned were pre-merger.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_games

Even so, it only further proves my point; there isn't much of anything I'm looking forward to from S-E and, in my opinion, S-E is only declining in terms of quality.

But yeah, I'm only really interested in the newer (as in, all of the ones after 2 (since I don't have those lol)) Kingdom Hearts games, Chrono Cross, FF3, FF9, and Dissidia to a lighter degree out of Square/Square Enix's selection.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1960s
Index - Back to Top