Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Round heads or Square heads?
[Replies: 15]  [Views: 3575]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
The first time I saw the boxart for Bomberman Jetters, I thought the round head looked weird. After I rent the game, I actually found it quite natural for Shirobon (I know it's White Bomber, but I like Shirobon better) to have Round Heads. Then when I rent Bomberman Generation again, I had trouble getting used to him having Square Heads again. Ever since I found it unnatural for Shirobon to have a Square Head. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but I think the round heads are PERFECT.
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Most of the time his head isn't necessarily like a box, though. The front of his head is squared out, but at the back, especially at the crown of his head it tends to round out more. I totally agree that purely square heads look ridiculous on Bombermen, but those usually occur in fanart that misinterprets the shape of his head. So it's more of a question of whether or not they look better with round or square faces.

There are characters who need round or "regular" heads, but others look better with squared faces. For example, Great Bomber would look weird with a square face, but Hammer Bomber's square face seems only natural (try to imagine him with a round face... even the visor would become distorted). In my own opinion Shiro looks best with a square face, since that's how he always was before... I have nothing wrong with the Jetters style though.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Most of the time his head isn't necessarily like a box, though. The front of his head is squared out, but at the back, especially at the crown of his head it tends to round out more. I totally agree that purely square heads look ridiculous on Bombermen, but those usually occur in fanart that misinterprets the shape of his head. So it's more of a question of whether or not they look better with round or square faces.

There are characters who need round or "regular" heads, but others look better with squared faces. For example, Great Bomber would look weird with a square face, but Hammer Bomber's square face seems only natural (try to imagine him with a round face... even the visor would become distorted). In my own opinion Shiro looks best with a square face, since that's how he always was before... I have nothing wrong with the Jetters style though.

Yeah, sometimes I do like the way the square heads look (the fan art makes it look wierd though, and I can;t really get the shape right either), but the round heads are more natural looking in terms of Anime and stuff.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, just look at the official Bomberman mangas, from say, the SB3 or SB4 manuals. They don't look strange with square faces... Also keep in mind the Saturn Bomberman anme intro and outro, and the Fantasy Race ones as well.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 am  Reply with quote + 
It makes you wonder what sort of subterranean maintenance shafts and portholes they had to enter and exit beneath the surface as bomb-factory workers and such, since a square head model robot/android/weird alien might not fit in the circular doors found on their escape to freedom as humans above. The use of bombs becomes a necessity. :laugh: 

Makes you think, doesn't it? :normal:  I thought of the square peg versus round hole dilemma when reading this and had to express said issue with the magic of MSPaint.

I like the range in traits across the games and even in the games, say compare artwork on the box to the manual art to the game sprites to the mascot costumes and artwork on toys/clothing/etc. The range is pretty interesting stuff, giving you almost a stylized range in representation of the "bomberman archetype", if there even was just one basal template. You can totally use that conversation if you are ever at a party with artists and such, if their juxtaposition tangents grow tedious. Either way, from the get go in some games you know that the cute artwork is going to differ a bit from the gameplay sprites, but it's all good. I like variation.
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
DragonBomber wrote:
It makes you wonder what sort of subterranean maintenance shafts and portholes they had to enter and exit beneath the surface as bomb-factory workers and such, since a square head model robot/android/weird alien might not fit in the circular doors found on their escape to freedom as humans above. The use of bombs becomes a necessity. :laugh: 

Yeah, I guess it does make you wonder. :laugh: 
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 am  Reply with quote + 
I prefer the Round head (The reason why I started playing was because I was interested in the round headed design I saw in the Bomberman Land cover prior to that I was never interested in the game) How I found out was when I was looking at list of games with bad reviews one of them was Bomberman Act Zero
Based on NEHKEEZ arts I think Mighty is very unattractive with a square head
On the other hand I prefer Pretty Bomber with a square head

But overall I still think Round head is better this is why I have very few square headed Bomberman pictures and most of my favourite Bomberman game has a round head (The only square headed one on my favourite list is the Fantasy Race).. I gotta find the reason why my burner can't burn a thing for the PS1 since I'm desperate to get the original Bomberman Land and many other PS1 games
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:45 am  Reply with quote + 
I prefer square heads all the way, and actually thing the overly round head from earlier Land games iis ugly. Pretty Bomber looks especially bad with that new design of hers, but let us not enter into this. The thing is, I don't think the problem is that I don't like round heads, but I certainly prefer the old-fashioned, over-the-top feeling that Bomberman used to give me. A quick look at those old Bomberman commercials in YouTube would clarify my point of view.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
HienFan wrote:
On the other hand I prefer Pretty Bomber with a square head

...Huh? I have never seen Pretty Bomber with a square head before. Enlighten me?
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
I didn't mean a square head like those of the normal Bombermen, but her original biker helmet, which was much less round than it is nowadays. Since this is about squares versus rounds, I didn't want to specify.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
I wasn't quoting you though, I was quoting the person above you.

And yeah, I know that the "Pretty Pink" Pretty Bomber has a really round head, just like the other Land Bombermen. I don't like the Land style in general.

Again, though, I'm going to say that each character looks his/her best in their original drawing styles, regardless of what shape their heads were. Great Bomber had a round head, Lady Bomber did, etc. etc. They'd look messed up with square heads, as would the Fiendish Bombers and others. While on the other hand, Bomberman looks better with a square-ish face (his head is not entirely square, the crown is rounded), as does Hammer Bomber (though only the "chin" part of his helmet seems to be square-ish).
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 am  Reply with quote + 
I actually prefer the square heards.

@Dark Zaphe
Great Bomber? Are you referring to Super Bomberman 4? I think his name was Ghost Bomber... but I could be wrong... Hammer Bomber, Lady Bomber, Jet Bomber, Bazooka Bomber, and Ghost Bomber I think it was... Although The Five Bomber Kings are pretty much the same as the Crush Bombers. :P
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ugh, it's Great Bomber. I don't know where that "Ghost Bomber" thing came from, it was some guy who must have just made it up years ago. >_<

And yeah, the Crush Bombers are kind of ripping off the 4 Heavenly King Bombers.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#14  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:49 am  Reply with quote + 
... Shiro, Kuro, Ao, Midori, Gold, Aka, Mighty, Kid and Racer are better off with a round head however characters like Mach in the Fantasy Race game looks pretty peculiar when I gave him a round head mainly due to the pattern on his helmet being all stripey
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
For me, it really all depends on the characters. I mean, I prefer Bomberman having a slightly squared head but not completely squared as I didn't like the Land series style.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#16  Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:58 am  Reply with quote + 
The N64 series is kinda round on the edges but the one on the PS1 and the PSP were completely cube (Not the sharp ends one though) except for Fantasy Race which looks more like the N64 one
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2051s
Index - Back to Top