Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Official artwork?
[Replies: 2]  [Views: 1016]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Ragey
Board Admin

Post#1  Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've been looking through some old Bomberman manuals lately, typing up the story sections and any other pieces of interest, and I can't help but notice that some of them have a large amount of great artwork to use, but they're placed to be obscured by text or faded or something that kind of prevents it from being digitally cleaned up or anything like that.

Bomberman Quest, for instance, has artwork of the four bosses, a number of enemies and even unique little action scenes to represent each zone. The only problem is that the manual is black and white, the images are fairly tiny, and a few tiny bits are cropped out. It irks me! It doesn't help that this is the only game those four bosses appear in, and although the Bomberman Quest site has coloured artwork (Hudson's sites for their old games are good for finding artwork that's otherwise hard to find), they're... rather tiny. Definitely not the hi-res material they used as a background those those pages; not to mention it doesn't have the individual pieces of the group art, never mind the scene pictures.

Quest is actually a good example, as Bomberman Hero looks like it had some lovely scenery pictures done of the bosses. This page, although a very bad example, shows a great piece of Natia; it's also the only official artwork of her that I know of. Since I'm trying to create a complete list of every Bomberman character ever (yeah. I'm a little ambitious and crazy!), that isn't cool, and just using a game screenshot when there's perfectly good artwork available just doesn't float my boat. Not to mention I just hate seeing things like game artwork getting lost to the ages.
The Bomberman Hero site? This is the best artwork you'll find on it. It's not even the full artwork, what with the screenshot in the way. It only shows a small fraction of the character artwork for the main characters, too. Frustrating!

The only Japanese manuals I have are for the SEGA Saturn games, but from what I've seen they seem fairly good for preserving the artwork well. I'm not sure what kind of conversation I'm trying to make out of this topic (I just like ranting!) but is it worth hunting down the Japanese manuals for the sole purpose of getting high quality artwork? I mean, I once bought three copies of Puchi Carat just to scan their manuals. Do I dare make that into a hobby? D:
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oy, ah, yeah that seems to be a problem, especially with Bomberman Hero, though I never gave much thought to Quest having no color and things like that. But yeah, Hero, a lot of the artwork for different characters is small and has them in their arenas. One of the reasons I bought SB3 was to see the artwork and manga and stuff, but usually my motivation for having a Japanese manual is to get the text, since it's not translated, you know. But yeah, ah, if you just want the image, I'd ask people if they have that manual or not, I mean, I have SB3-4 in Japanese and SB2 in English (artwork is the same I believe), so if you need that stuff I'd be happy to scan in the character artwork. There's a Bomberman Wiki, actually, that I started helping out on (because it definately needs help), I've been making Fiendish Bomber pages and some templates and stuff on it, don't know if that means anything to you but you can check it out if you want.
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Story section? What story section?
That was supposed to be my job back on Bomberzone and... good God, I can't remember the name of the other site. BomberMania? Well, it's been over 10 years and nothing ever came of it (not my fault, mind you =P)
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1902s
Index - Back to Top