Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

CrystalBomber
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
View user profile Send Private Message
chris_h
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Zelda is a waste of time. It is not fun.

Spoiler:
Remember that old bomberman.net??? HA HA HA, it was halarious. I do not know if a funnier thing has ever happened in the history of the world.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:31 am  Reply with quote + 
I've never been a huge zelda fan, but that trailer doesn't look bad. It's definately taking zelda in a different direction...

The only zelda game i really liked was "A Link to the Past" and the puzzles in the dungeons kind of remind me of it, then again all the zelda games have puzzles but I really didn't like the 3D games. The 2Dish overhead look of the dungeons makes it look a little more interesting to me.

Having that robot thing to help you looks pretty cool, as do the train battles.

Still not sure if I'd get it though. I just have a hard time getting into zelda games so I can't say my opinion here is worth a whole lot.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's good to see some people not going *swoon!* over this new gimmick. Personally I think that yes, the train is taking Zelda off into a new direction. A completely wrong and nonsensical one.
What will Link be using next? A wooden motorcycle?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've got to say, I like Zelda. The ones I really liked were Link's Awakening, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. And I guess Minish Cap was fun, but short.

But this, this train looks kind of silly. Are they trying to make the games occur closer to the future or something? I guess? That's what I can gather from it, after all they're supposed to occur in the same universe right? Even if that's the point, I'd rather not have this sort of stuff in a Zelda game, and I'm not the biggest fan of the graphics style of these ones. I'm not the kind who just wants the detailed, realistic graphics, though. I like cartoony graphics, but this particular style is not my favorite.

Although, controlling that knight looked kind of cool.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:00 am  Reply with quote + 
My brother loved the wind waker, less so its DS sequel
he'll probs still get it
CrystalBomber
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:52 am  Reply with quote + 
I enjoyed Wind Waker myself, it's been so long since I've played it I'm foggy on the details. I have also played Phantom Hourglass and that was a fun little game, my favorite character was Linebeck. Most DS games are pretty meh, so it was fun while it lasted.

This game worries me though, it's taking the line between acceptable and woah that's.. wtf and using it as train tracks. The series is going in a direction that I'm afraid is aimed at getting profit than anything else. Nonetheless, I will still try this game when it comes out, and honestly, I expect to like it.

Also boo to DS graphics. :shifty:  I would almost prefer well-done 2D instead of this 3D stuff that just looks bad most of the time.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Wow.

It's hard for me to express what I feel right now. Something about trains and fairies and elf boys just does not gel. It makes me think more of a western game than a typical Zelda game. The only upside of such a game would be if I could wander around the tracks and throw chickens into the path of oncoming trains. Throwing chickens around was always my favorite part. There should a whole game of using chickens as gliders, in multiplayer battle like standoffs where you have an area full of chickens to toss at one another, etc. That would get me to buy a zelda game over this...

I sort of got out of Zelda around the time of the second n64 title, Majora's Mask. I was going to buy the game off a friend, along with his ram upgrade, and I might have, I don't remember. I just totally lost any interest in the games. :( I had gotten pretty far in the first n64 title, and several of the others. But really, my brother was the one who played them out like crazy and I would just watch and enjoy the story. I stopped seeing my brother as much for a while around that time, since he moved back to upstate NY. We never have time for Zelda gameplay now when he visits from VA between Navy deployments. :(

I did buy the GameCube Collector's Edition from EB cheap, along with WindWaker. I stopped there since Twilight Princess was too expensive, and I have not yet paid the cash for a Wii. So that's my take on it I guess. I stopped really truly enjoying playing the games on the first n64 title, and it went downhill from there for me. :cry: 
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
I've got to say, I like Zelda. The ones I really liked were Link's Awakening, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. And I guess Minish Cap was fun, but short.

Those were the best, yes and Twilight Princess too (despite some shortcomings)... though Phantom Hourglass might arguably be considered better than Minish Cap, but just because MC was so short.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
But this, this train looks kind of silly.

I think more along the lines of "incurably retarded".

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Are they trying to make the games occur closer to the future or something? I guess? That's what I can gather from it

Unfortunately, from what can be seen in this trailer (i.e. nothing out of the ordinary except the train), I'm pretty sure the game will have a perfectly standard medieval fantasy setting in which a train was randomly thrown in as a gimmick. It's sad really.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
after all they're supposed to occur in the same universe right?

There are two timelines for Zelda games and one took a rather different turn when compared to our history because of what happened in TWW. So I hope this will be set after that. It won't make it much better mind you, but at least that way it might leave the older games alone.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
I like cartoony graphics, but this particular style is not my favorite.

Yeah, I'm still persuaded that this crappy style is just an excuse Nintendo found to put no effort at all into it while at the same time getting praise to be artsy...

CrystalBomber wrote:
This game worries me though, it's taking the line between acceptable and woah that's.. wtf and using it as train tracks. The series is going in a direction that I'm afraid is aimed at getting profit than anything else.

Yeah, with the exception of Twilight Princess, it's been that way since Ocarina came out and Zelda games suddenly multiplied in number and shrunk in size (and often quality too).

CrystalBomber wrote:
Also boo to DS graphics. :shifty:  I would almost prefer well-done 2D instead of this 3D stuff that just looks bad most of the time.

Almost? Strike that, MC may be a little too colorful but was gold compared to this.

DragonBomber wrote:
It's hard for me to express what I feel right now. Something about trains and fairies and elf boys just does not gel. It makes me think more of a western game than a typical Zelda game.

I love this thread, so many people seeing this for what it is, without any bias or denial... thank you guys, you have no idea how refreshing this is.

For the last 48 hours I've been hearing from the large majority of Zelda fans how stupid it is to criticize the game for using a train. Seriosly, most Zelda fans are actually going chuu chuu and singing the praise of the developers.
It's tragic really to see that there really may be no hope for the franchise. I mean if the developers can do this and get away with it with their fans...

DragonBomber wrote:
I sort of got out of Zelda around the time of the second n64 title, Majora's Mask.

That's okay, you have not missed much, TP is the only game that achieved quality near that of OoT and ALttP (and by the way, TP is available also on GameCube).
Still, if you could play Four Swords Adventures, I'd reccomend it. It's a great game, really fun even on your own and doesn't require much effort from you (and if you play alone you don't need any GBA or cables).
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#10  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
DragonBomber wrote:
The only upside of such a game would be if I could wander around the tracks and throw chickens into the path of oncoming trains.

Oh my god that would be amazing!

My family also heartily enjoyed tormenting chickens in zelda: A link to the past.
CrystalBomber
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:20 pm  Reply with quote + 

Found this online, I take no credit.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#12  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
CrystalBomber wrote:
img

Found this online, I take no credit.
That's very funny.

I'm not interested in zelda games, though there can be some valid reasons for them using a train instead of a boat.

It will allow them to focus the story more in-land, without having to use a boat again which they have done so many times in previous zelda games.
It can be one of their ways of advancing the game's timeline a bit, and it allows the developers to do something a bit new.
The change of transportation method has generated buzz on the internet about it, even to the point that it got posted about here.
This which means more advertisement for the game, and it can only result in more sales for them- because something like a train being in the game instead of a boat won't stop people who were going to buy the game from buying it anyway.

Does it fit with the game? Not so much, though it may be a bit out of place- it won't make a difference on the grand scale of things regarding the game.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Razon wrote:
without having to use a boat again which they have done so many times in previous zelda games.

Yes, so many as two.

Razon wrote:
It can be one of their ways of advancing the game's timeline a bit

It most likely isn't, and even if it was, it seems they limited themselves to that, one random invention (out of our 19th century) in an otherwise still medieval world.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#14  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
That picture! Hahaha! That was great. :hilarious: 

Duke Serkol wrote:
For the last 48 hours I've been hearing from the large majority of Zelda fans how stupid it is to criticize the game for using a train. Seriosly, most Zelda fans are actually going chuu chuu and singing the praise of the developers.
It's tragic really to see that there really may be no hope for the franchise. I mean if the developers can do this and get away with it with their fans...

Hmm.... Sometimes the most honest, serious opinions come from the outside.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
You know, the worst thing is that the MS paint drawings are on par with the game's "artsy" graphic style.
CrystalBomber
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
Razon, you bring up some valid points. But then I thought that's what the horseback riding was sort of for?
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
After watching that trailer, I dunno what to say.

I was never really into Zelda, and I do not like this particular art style these games use.

The train looks incredibly out of place. Something like that doesn't belong in the medieval world that is Zelda.

Controlling the knight/robot thing looks cool, but I can almost guarantee this will be gimmicky at best. I can only imagine that the only way you can control it is with the stylus, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I cannot press buttons and drag the stylus at the same time.

I can safely say I am not really interested in this one, and therefore will most likely not pick up the game.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
CrystalBomber wrote:
But then I thought that's what the horseback riding was sort of for?

Yeah, they might as well name the train Epona and be done beating a dead horse.

SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Controlling the knight/robot thing looks cool, but I can almost guarantee this will be gimmicky at best. I can only imagine that the only way you can control it is with the stylus, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I cannot press buttons and drag the stylus at the same time.

I wouldn't be so sure about the Phantom being gimmicky, though it could be possible yes.

Anyway yeah, it most likely is controlled with the stylus, but you won't be using any front buttons if this game is anything like Phatom Hourglass, just the stylus and the button L or R depending on whether you are lefty or righty.
Despite my skepticism, in Phantom Hourglass it worked wonderfully, so I'm not the least worried about that part...
CrystalBomber
Bomberdude

Post#19  Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
There was an item in Twilight Princess that let you move around statues. I wonder if it'll be similar to that. And yeah, Phantom Hourglass controls were smooth. I hate games that expect you to use the touch screen + the normal ABXY buttons.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#20  Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 am  Reply with quote + 
As a longtime Zelda fan, I refuse to take a stance on this until there are more details.

I could honestly care less about the lol-plot device as long as the game is still fun in the end. Storylines were never really a huge perk about the Zelda series, it was always more about its content. So in my opinion, people are sorta overreacting to this. Which is expected with such a huge change in the series direction.

However; I DO wish they'd can the WW-ish style already, it was a nice twist at first, but now its starting to get old. By tradition, they never used a particular "Link" for more than two main games (same with Fire Emblem games... Remakes excluded), so seeing this upcoming game in that same style has left me a bit disappointed.

Still, Wait until the game has been released before you bash. It's obvious that they are trying something new again, and it's silly to complain about stuff we know little about yet.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2103s
Index - Back to Top