[Replies: 468]  [Views: 113337]
Users browsing this topic: 2 Guests
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 4  
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#81  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:58 am  Reply with quote + 
The Japanese manuals for Bomberman GB, Panic Bomber PCE and Bomberman PCE arrived today! I spend something ridiculous on them (£35, I think), wait two weeks for them, and then have them all scanned in an hour. The things I do in the name of being a fanatic.
The Panic Bomber manual is rather barebones, which is a disappointment after the delicious contents of the Panic Bomber W manual DragonBomber scanned. manual-05.jpg looks like it has the closest thing to a story, but I'm pretty doubtful. it doesn't even extend beyond the first four opponents! I was hoping it would name the final opponent on the second wave, that weird doctor guy. (Unrelated to the manual, but I love how the main game is called story mode, even though no actual conversation or story is actually presented in-game).
The PCE Bomberman manual has some cute old-style artwork, though I can hardly tell where the story is. The enemies are on manualj-05.jpg, though it only includes eight enemies and the bosses and doesn't go any further, so that frickin' fish is still unknown to me.
Bomberman GB's manual has a clearly labelled story section (manualj-03.jpg!) and even has artwork and details of all eight bosses (manualj-07.jpg onwards). I was expecting the last one to just be a question mark, like most games of the era, but they're very gracious!) Also, the manual is hilariously tiny. Its hardly any bigger than the Game Boy cartridge itself!
View user profile Send Private Message
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#82  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
Edit I saw Ragey's comment after I posted. Those are some awesome manuals, Ragey. Thank you for taking the time to scan them in. I especially like the pages in Bomberman GB with Shiro on the bike. It's great, as he should be pulling wheelies and such. I could totally see motorcycles being in the Bomberman Kart games. Such potential for homebrew joy/Flash fun.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Floor 20: Dragon Bomber (ドラゴン)...lol

I'm surprised I got through most of that without trouble... the text is all fancy and ridiculous on those names.

Sweeeeet. :flame: 

I never knew that guy was in the game, as I never have gotten far enough to see him. Or I just have forgotten him. Been a dog's age since I played story mode and I did not ever try master mode much. I took my nickname used here and elsewhere from the fact that there were dragons in the different bomberman games and anime, and I love dragons. :laugh: 

Did a quick edit up. Finally a clearer awesome version of my namesake to recolor later, redraw, and so forth. Awesome sauce! Thank you for mentioning this Zaphe, and thank you for scanning the manual so that Zaphe translated that bit, Ragey. I have the manuals sitting around and never much paid attention to it. Maybe for a second subconsciously but never retained the details. I will have to look at the English manual to see if he is mentioned there as well.

Speaking of scanning, I attempted to scan some of those missing books for you, Ragey and I failed. I am going to have to take my time, maybe coming up here some weekend when I'm off the clock. I was not able to take my time this past Sunday when I worked downstairs and nearly thought I was going to tear some pages out of the book. My copy of the first guide must have a weak binding...who knows. I had a student assistant but she was working on some paper and not paying attention so I had to undo some of her mistakes made with students, which made me rush around trying to scan at the last minute. Eyeballing your six to see what is going on when work is busy is not the ideal situation for scanning precious documents like the strategy guides.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not yet, but I got weak and picked this up just this morning on eBay.

BOMBERMAN WARS Official Guide by Famitu
95 pages, C condition rating according to the seller, but it was under $20 shipped so I was ok with it. You can see from his auction sample photos below why I bought it. Mostly for the character artwork though it might have interesting details as well in that text. Once I sort out the best way to scan the guides without destroying them, I will try to scan this if no one beats me to it. Sorry it's been taking me so long to do.

Bomberstar

Post#83  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
the characters or (perhaps classes?) in Bomberman wars all look really cool. Would still like to try the game out someday. Just gotta get the cash and pick it up on Ebay at some point...
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#84  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
@Ragey: Uh, you know... I told you I have the Bomberman GB manual, I could have just scanned it for you, lol. Unless you just really wanted it, tiny as it may be.
Thanks for the other manuals, I'll get to them at the end of this post.

@Dragon: Haha, nice... I was wondering what you'd think of that. Bomberman Wars guide sounds interesting... man, you guys are just piling up all these manuals and guides, how are we even going to start with this?! :hilarious: 

So here's the Story for Bomberman PCE (it's under スト-リ- as always, on page 5):

スト-リ-

Story

時は未来世紀, 思考能力を持つたロボットの2
号機, ブラックボンバ-マンが三森博士の手で
完成された. しかし, 博士のプログラムミスに
よりブラックボンバ-マンは悪の道へと歩み始
め, ついには博士のひとり娘, 理沙を連れ去り
機械城に立てこもったのだ.

In the future, 2 robots possessing the ability to think, Black Bomberman
was created through the effort of Doctor Mimori. However, through
a program mistake of the doctor Black Bomberman began walking a path of evil,
finally the doctor's only daughter, Lisa, was kidnapped and locked within the
machine castle.

*I'm not sure why the first sentence is structured like that. Did Mimori just make Black Bomberman? Why isn't Shiro mentioned?

I figured that the enemies page would only mention those... Ah well. What fish?

Here's the Panic Bomber enemies:

バロム - Ballom
クリン - Kurin... wtf, he's an octopus now?! Oh well... It appears that the name "Kurin" replaced "Terupyo"...
ブロル - Buroru... Once again, seems like the name got changed, this time from "Maron" to "Buroru"...
パース - Pass

I know I translated the other enemies' names out of the game, but I put it in a seperate text file and, for the life of me, I can't find it.

Also, what the hey? Where'd this map come from? I guess it wasn't in the arcade version... But I'll get to the story for this one later.

EDIT: Yeah you should get it, Reggie, I think it's an interesting twist on Bomberman. Keeps the original theme, but plays differently.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#85  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
DragonBomber wrote:

Is that Bomberman riding a Cerberus?

That's frigging awesome. XD

Looks like a neat game, although strategy games were never really my thing (with some exceptions).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#86  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
DragonBomber wrote:
Speaking of scanning, I attempted to scan some of those missing books for you, Ragey and I failed. I am going to have to take my time, maybe coming up here some weekend when I'm off the clock. I was not able to take my time this past Sunday when I worked downstairs and nearly thought I was going to tear some pages out of the book. My copy of the first guide must have a weak binding...who knows. I had a student assistant but she was working on some paper and not paying attention so I had to undo some of her mistakes made with students, which made me rush around trying to scan at the last minute. Eyeballing your six to see what is going on when work is busy is not the ideal situation for scanning precious documents like the strategy guides.
It's no worries at all, DB - as I've no doubt said plenty of times before, don't stress yourself out over getting scans, I'm still amazed you've scanned so much already while I've still only scanned two of the five books I got a month ago! Definitely looking forward to the Bomberman Wars guide, though. I've seen a Saturn Bomberman guide on eBay that I'm very tempted to pick up, but I've been throwing money around like a loon as it is, it might need to wait.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
@Ragey: Uh, you know... I told you I have the Bomberman GB manual, I could have just scanned it for you, lol. Unless you just really wanted it, tiny as it may be.
You had the manual? Oh maaaaaaan. I checked with DragonBomber if he had the manual before I bought it, but I think I've just been losing track of what everyone's got. No big concern, though, it was probably the most worthwhile of the three manuals, plus it gave me an opportunity to scan the rest of the box and other materials. We should probably keep a checklist so we know who has what. =P

And this is the fish in question. I can probably just use images of the enemies to fill in the game coverage rather than names, though knowing some enemies are named and some aren't will always frustrate me.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#87  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
Erm... I repeat, what fish? I see, from left to right (and top to bottom), a Pass, Bomberman, a Po-mori, a Boma, a Boyon, and what appears to be a Watern... No fish...?
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#88  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:07 am  Reply with quote + 
That green thing's a fish. It looks more fish-like from a side view.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#89  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:56 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Oh hey, Serkol, did you notice that I found the name of that alien Final Boss from Super Bomberman 2?

If I did, I forgot. What was his name again?

Say Ragey, seeing as you're going through all these trouble to scan the manuals (actually paying good money to get them etc.) how about uploading them as zip/rar files? That would make it easier for us to download them (rather than having to get each page individually) and thus allow for more people (including those that have little time for their hobbies) to check them out.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
However, through
a program mistake of the doctor Black Bomberman began walking a path of evil

...I'm such a nerd.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
*I'm not sure why the first sentence is structured like that. Did Mimori just make Black Bomberman? Why isn't Shiro mentioned?

Well it does speak of two robots, so I'm sure Shiro is included too.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Also, what the hey? Where'd this map come from? I guess it wasn't in the arcade version...

The PCE Panic Bomber is a different game just as the SNES and VB ones. At least I don't believe characters like Bagulo were in the arcade, right?
So yeah, it has a map, interestingly one sporting common features with that of the first PCE game. Oh and this game was ported to cell-phones btw :happy: 
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#90  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:17 am  Reply with quote + 
Would everyone prefer them as .zips? I'd like to say I prefer the individual pages since it allows you to get just one page without having to get the whole lot, though given the fact none of them have descriptions to actually say what each image contains, I guess my point is rather moot.
Also, Baguro definitely appears in the arcade version as well; I think he's only absent in the Virtual Boy version, though I haven't had much experience with that one. The credits name him "Bugler," though. Argh!
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#91  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 am  Reply with quote + 
@Ragey: The green thing is a Boma from Bomberman II, which looks more like a frog than a fish to me... It doesn't have a side view, so I'm not sure what you mean still...

.Zips would probably be nice for some people, though as for me, I'm fine with just viewing them online.

@Serkol: His name is General Ganzu, which does imply that he's an associate of Bagura.

...You and those Telebugs. :hilarious:  Anyway yeah, Ragey's right, the arcade version has all those same enemies in it. It doesn't have any map though. I've never played the PCE version. Also, in Panic Bomber for the Virtual Boy, the final boss is Pretty Bomber; Baguro doesn't appear.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#92  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:31 am  Reply with quote + 
Ragey wrote:
I prefer the individual pages since it allows you to get just one page without having to get the whole lot, though given the fact none of them have descriptions to actually say what each image contains, I guess my point is rather moot.

Exactly: I'm going to be opening them up anyway since I can't tell which ones will be interesting, so it would be simpler for me to just download a zip.
Then if some people don't care to keep scans of the whole manual they can just delete the pages they don't want.

Ragey wrote:
Also, Baguro definitely appears in the arcade version as well

Isn't that Bagular?

Ragey wrote:
The credits name him "Bugler," though. Argh!

Thought so... but then, I guess this likely means it's Bugler also in the PCE one. Eh...

Dark Zaphe wrote:
His name is General Ganzu, which does imply that he's an associate of Bagura.

Cool... Ganzu, uh? I wonder how similar that is (in Japanese) to the original name for the Garaden Empire of Bomberman Hero.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
...You and those Telebugs. :hilarious: 

He's black, stubby, with a tv screen for a head, a pink antenna(s) and goes around being evil for a programming mistake... how can I not think of him? :wink: 
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#93  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
No, that's Baguro. Bagura has a beard, and you can tell by the other images that it's Baguro. As for "Bugler", that's just another stupid English translation. I'm guessing the reason why we see translations like "Bugler" and "Buggler" is because the word "bagu" means "computer bug".

Bomberman Hero stuff:

ボンバーマン(しろボン)- Bomberman (Shirobon)
ミリアン王女 - Princess Millian
ピポット - Pipot (Pibot?)
ルーイ - Rui

ニトロス - Nitros
エンドル - Endor/Endol
バルーダ - Baruda
ボルバン - Boruban/Bolban
ネチア - Nechia/Natia
メガー二 - Megani
バグラー - Bagura

デビルボンバー - Devil Bomber

ワルドス帝国 - Warudosu Empire ("waru" meaning "bad" of course)
ガシック星 - Gashikku Star (Gossick Star)

...Not sure where they got "Garaden" from... And here I was thinking that the planet names must be accurate since they sounded so weird...
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#94  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
Which is the Japanese name of Primus?
And what does "dosu" mean then? (If anything)
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#95  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
@Ragey: The green thing is a Boma from Bomberman II, which looks more like a frog than a fish to me... It doesn't have a side view, so I'm not sure what you mean still...

Wait, crap, so it is. That's what I get for thinking I'm right! (I was certain it was a fish! I haven't played it in a while so I must've been speaking out of my ass when referring to the side view. The fact its pattern is entirely different to Boma and it's got those red things on its cheeks must've thrown me off; I thought Boma was more like a frog, but what do I know)
And do we know what's the deal with Baguro by now? I'm given the impression he's just a new body for Bagular after his body was destroyed in Super Bomberman 3, though I'm not quite sure how that works as Baguro appears before that game, then it's Bagular Head in Super Bomberman 4, then Baguro shows up again in Saturn Bomberman Fight!!, and from that point onward it's Bagular's original body again. I was hoping the Panic Bomber manuals would've explained it, but I think the Fight!! manual was the only one that even mentioned the change. I think.

And I can't believe it's only now I realised Endol = Endor. I'd like to think they were going really far with the Star Wars ripoff, but it's probably just a nonsense word.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#96  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
No no no no no, Baguro is not Bagura... I guess I never made a clean translation of his Saturn Bomberman Fight!! bio, but I vaguely remember mentioning who he is. Basically, he wants to either become like Bagura, or he wants to actually be Bagura. But, when he heard about Bagura in the first place, he misheard his name as "Baguro" and so that is what he calls himself now. There's probably more info I haven't translated yet but it likely just pertains to the Saturn Bomberman Fight!! story.

Unfortunately I have some bad news. The Japanese Wikipedia calls Natia the lone woman of... the shitennou. Why, Japan?! Why does it always have to be shitennou?!?

I don't know the names of the other planets, as I cannot find them in the text. The only way I found Gossick and Warudosu was because the former was mentioned in Devil Bomber's text and the latter is all over the page, in bios, in the story, etc.

I also can't answer your question about "dosu".

EDIT: Hey wait... Bagura is Dark Force Bomber... Bagura mentions the "Dark Power" in Bomberman World... What if "Warudosu" is "Dark Power"? "Waru" meaning "evil" or "bad"... or "dark"... and the word "dosuu", while not the same as what appears in the name, means "strength"... Am I on to something here?
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#97  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Basically, he wants to either become like Bagura, or he wants to actually be Bagura. But, when he heard about Bagura in the first place, he misheard his name as "Baguro" and so that is what he calls himself now.

Ah, so Bagular didn't create him? I thought he might be similar to:

Dark Zaphe wrote:
I don't know the names of the other planets, as I cannot find them in the text.

Ah too bad. For a long time now, I've been wondering whether Primus and Phantarion couldn't be one and the same in Japanese.
Not that I consider it likely, but there's enough similarities for it to be at least possible.

I also can't answer your question about "dosu".

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Hey wait... Bagura is Dark Force Bomber... Bagura mentions the "Dark Power" in Bomberman World... What if "Warudosu" is "Dark Power"? "Waru" meaning "evil" or "bad"... or "dark"... and the word "dosuu", while not the same as what appears in the name, means "strength"... Am I on to something here?

Could be! :veryhappy: 
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#98  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Lol, Mini Me... Well, as far as I know he's got no real relation to Bagura, he's just obsessive.

Not sure about Primus and Phantarion... I'll see if I can find the planet names somewhere.

EDIT: For some reason the translators for the arcade version of Panic Bomber didn't translate the credits. So, to the best of my ability, here's the Cast portion:

キャスト
Cast

ボンバ-マン
(杉山佳寿子)
Bomberman
(Kazuko Sugiyama)

ばろむ
(大塚瑞恵)
Ballom
(Otsuka Mizue[?])

くりん
(TARAKO)
Kurin
(TARAKO)

ぶ-ろる
(龍田_樹)
Buroru
()

ぱ-す
(萩森徇[?]子)
Pass
()

ふにゃ-
(野田順子)
Funya
(Junko Noda)

ばけばけ
(TARAKO)
Bakebake
(TARAKO)

ぺぎ-
(萩森徇[?]子)
Pegi
()

くろぼん
(龍田_樹)
Kurobon
()

ばぐら-
(石丸博也)
Bagura
(Ishimaru Hiroya)

Baguro is once again named "Bagura" here. This is my theory: Hudson created this character with something akin to his Saturn bio in mind, but by the time they got around to making Saturn Bomberman Fight!!, they decided that it would be too confusing to have two Bagura's running around, so they added in the detail that he misheard the name and is called "Baguro".
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#99  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
Possibly. Either that or it really is/was meant to be Bagular and they simply hadn't finalized (or different development teams rendered him differently) the way he was supposed to look yet (and then made a character to retroactively explain the different look?)
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#100  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:25 am  Reply with quote + 
Huh, the credits show up in English for me. I was playing it in Kawaks which lets you change between Japanese and English versions of the game, but the credits still showed up in English for me in either setting. Odd. (I was probably doing it wrong, though)
It seems Saturn Bomberman Fight!! is the only decent resource on the dude (unless that character guide has some decent info), especially since the original bearded Bagular is pictured in Golem Bomber's battle victory movie scene in that game, the only time both guys are actually acknowledged.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 5 of 24 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2559s
Index - Back to Top