[Replies: 468]  [Views: 113897]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 4  
legato
Bomberman

Post#361  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's like plasm said. How am I supposed to catch these references if I don't know anything about their culture or word meanings? I never noticed it before and likely never would have unless someone pointed out said definitions.
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#362  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
Then again, they kind of needed to reboot the series after the original NES game, because otherwise they wouldn't have had a main character - Bomberman loses his signature ability when he becomes Lode Runner.

Not really, do you figure he was the only one of his kind? The only bomb manufactoring robot?
Bomberboy and Bomberking are in all likelihood direct sequels to the original Bomberman. In Bomberboy you're a different White Bomber that's going around all factories in which his brethren are held in slavery and freeing them.
Presumably at this point Bombermen become champions for peace, but unfortunately the planet's resources become insufficient and they accept to turn themselves off until a solution is found. This would be Altile, and that's where Bomberking begins.

It was only with the PCE Bomberman that the series was rebooted (that is, assuming we didn't just take another huge leap into the future and Altile became Planet Bomber).
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#363  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
I suppose that is true, I hadn't thought of it that way.

But then, the "story" wouldn't have been taken in the direction we all are most familiar with... So I am glad that they did reboot it. Though I would certainly not be opposed to seeing a continuation of the original plotline provided that it is done well.
Grendor
Bomberbie

Post#364  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:09 am  Reply with quote + 
That last Art Pack disappeared from filefactory...
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#365  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
I am glad that they did reboot it. Though I would certainly not be opposed to seeing a continuation of the original plotline provided that it is done well.

Yes. If only Act Zero had been more like Bomberking (serious without being ridiculously gritty... and actually a good game) we may still have an ongoing franchise today.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#366  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
So my Christmas present arrived yesterday.

It will be our shared present once I find the time and patience to scan the whole thing.

(I've scanned the table of contents and story manga so far. The manga is actually pretty funny; I kind of like the bad guys from this game a bit more than I did before.)
legato
Bomberman

Post#367  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:15 am  Reply with quote + 
Oh sweet! I can't wait to see what's hiding in there! =D Thanks plasm!
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#368  Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 am  Reply with quote + 
Okay, so I haven't scanned the SB1 guidebook yet (wow it is difficult to scan).

But I would like to direct your attention toward a specific article that I have just written, in regards to Super Bomberman 4:

Bonus Stage Entrance

Specifically, the part where I discuss how two players can use the Push item to reveal them behind Hard Blocks.

And just like that, this image actually makes sense.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#369  Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:11 am  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
And just like that, this image actually makes sense.

You mean it didn't make sense before? It looks like Kuro was just trying to hug Shiro and he resisted by holding onto a rock.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#370  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
Finally, I have found an explanation for the name of the ninja enemies in Super Bomberman 4, "Chibimaru".

It seems that "maru" was a popular suffix for names in the Edo period. The Edo period is the era during which Stage 2 is set, and thus is the era in which the ninja enemies appear. Thus, the name should probably just be kept as "Chibimaru" - there's not really a perfect translation for the word "chibi" anyway.

Here is a reference.

I've also seen some forum posts where people have claimed that "maru" was the suffix appended to the names of the young sons of samurai, and that their name was to be changed when they grew older.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#371  Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 am  Reply with quote + 
Right there was one point I asked plasm to translate two 4koma last year, one of them (the one where Racer crashed into a tree while Shiro had a stomach ache) had a kanji plasm couldn't read as the video was a bit blurry

The two characters are 'School' and 'To hurry' so I asume the title would be 'Hurry to School Kart', 'School to hurry kart', or 'school hurry kart' I'm going with the first
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#372  Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
To... school? That's weird, seeing as the comic is about rushing to a hospital...
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#373  Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah but that's what the two kanji said
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#374  Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:10 am  Reply with quote + 
Did you try searching for both of those kanji together at the same time? Often, multiple kanji will combine to form a different word...
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#375  Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
Alright checked again, both of them combined says Ambulance Kart
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#376  Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ah, okay, that makes sense.

On an unrelated note, I discovered the meaning of the Super Bomberman 4 enemy Daruman's name, as well as what it is supposed to be:

Wikipedia - Daruma doll

In case you're not sure which enemy I'm referring to, it's this one.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#377  Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Because I am an idiot, it had not occurred to me to translate Pretty Bomber's info from the "Super Bomberman - Panic Bomber W" manual. So here we go:

Pretty Bomber: Birthplace Unknown
Survivor of the Fiendish Bomber 5. She intrudes in the middle of the game to avenge her comrades.
BGM Flamenco.

So there. We finally know why exactly she's in the game.

(Japanese text below)
[Collapse Text]
プリティーボンバー:出身地不明
凶悪ボンバー5人衆の生
き残り。仲間の仇を討つ
ために、ゲーム途中で乱
入してくるぞ。
BGMはフラメンコ。
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#378  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
A contributor (Reversalmushroom, one of the few) at the Bomberman Wiki has the Super Bomberman 5 Guidebook, and has asked me to translate some of the pages. Here is the page that details Terrorin's boss machiines from the end of the game:

[Collapse] English Translation
(Page 49)
BOSS 1 Jiriringer (ジリリンカー, "Jiriri" is a Japanese sound effect for the ringing of an alarm clock)

HP - 5
Speed - Slow
Block - O (Passes over blocks)
Score - 5000

(Headline)
You are safe in the top of the screen

Jiriringer does not approach Bomberman. You are safe if you are in 1 block from the left-upper or right-upper part of the screen. Its weak point is the bomb firing device at the moment that it is revealed.

(Left Caption)
Here is the safety area. Once Jiriringer appears, immediately move to this location.

(Middle Caption)
Once it begins to move, bomb the device three steps directly below Jiriringer.

(Right Caption)
Return to the safety area once again from below Jiriringer and wait.

BOSS 2 Bell Roller (ベルローラー)

HP - 5
Speed - Fast
Block - O (Passes over blocks)
Score - 5000

(Headline)
The dash attack is not frightening

First of all, you can find relief if you are in the safe area in the photo below. It has 2 types of dash attacks, and can only be damaged during the pattern when its arms are lowered. During the rest of the time it evades.

(Right Caption)
The safety area is three steps from the bottom. Wait here first.

(Headline)
Attack where it is attracted

(Middle Caption)
During the pause before Bell Roller's dash, place a bomb and move to the lower left.

(Right Caption)
Bell Roller is hit. Repeat and damage it 5 times.

[Collapse] Japanese Text
ZONE●5-I・J●BOSS1 ジリリンカー

HP 5
スピード 遅い
ブロック O
ブロック 5000

画面の上にいれば安全

ジリリンガーはボンバーマンを追ってく
るわけではない。画面の右上か左上から1
ブロック分内側にいれば安全なのだ。弱点
は爆弾を出す瞬間の射出装置だ。

-Caption Left-
▲ここが安全地帯。ジリリンガーが登場
したら、すぐにごの場所まで移動しよう。

-Caption Middle-
▲ジリリンガーが真下に
動き始めたら上から3段
目に爆弾をしかけよう。

-Caption Right-
▲あとは安全地帯に戻っ
てふたたびジリリンガー
が下に行くのを待つだけ。

ZONE●5-I・J●BOSS2 ベルローラー

HP 5
スピード 速い
ブロック O
ブロック 5000

ダッシュ攻撃は恐くない

下の写真の安全地帯にいればまずは安心。
2種類あるダッシュ攻撃のうち、ダメージ
を与えられるのは両腕を下げているパター
ンだけ。もう一方のときは逃げに徹しよう。

-Caption Left-
▲下から3段目が安全地帯になっている。
まずはここで待機だ。

攻撃は引きつけてから

-Caption Middle-
▲ベルローラーがダッシ
ュ前のポーズをとったら
爆弾を置いて左下に移動。

-Caption Right-
▲ベルローラーにヒット。
これを、5回ダメージを
与えるまで繰り返そう。

EDIT: Here is the Trap Data for Zone 5 in Super Bomberman 5, which is the only Zone that features new traps. (My personal notes are encased in parentheses and preceded by the word "Notes"; there is one instance where a sentence from the actual text is in parentheses)

[Collapse] English Translation
(Page 41)

Radio Tower (電波塔) Emits radio waves at constant intervals. Bomberman will stop moving for a little while if he gets hit. Damage each of its 4 pillars 4 times each to destroy it.

Doll Generator (ドールジェネレータ) Each time 1 Doll is destroyed, a new Doll will appear from the exit below. The battle will be endless unless the generator is destroyed. Hit it with fire 4 times to destroy it.

Cotton Candy Generator (わたあめジェネレータ) One by one, Cotton Candy is produced by this device. When the Cotton Candy hits Bomberman, he will be repelled. Hit it with fire 4 times to destroy it.

Sticky Floor (ねばねば床) On this floor, movement speed becomes extremely slow. There is no time to escape from enemies or fire when heading toward this floor. Incidentally, kicked bombs are not slowed by it.

Protrusion Hard Block (でっぱりハードブロック) At constant intervals, it moves up and down or left and right. The block will begin to flicker as a notice before moving. It is not possible to pass through the other lane while it is moving.

Magnet (磁石) At fixed intervals, it operates and attracts bombs (Tracing Bombs will not be drawn in). Wait and try to choose the location where you think it will detonate when the Magnet is activated.

Cutter Saucer (カッターソーサー) Periodically, a Cutter is fired from a device. Before it is fired, the Cutter appears, rotating with a sound. As soon as it enters this state, take refuge from the firing hole.

Moving Floor & Gear (移動床&歯車) Detached floor that can be used when coming and going over the terrain. Hit the gear with a flame and the floor will stop. Place a bomb just right when the floor is 2 blocks from the objective. (Note: In case it is not clear, they mean that, when the Moving Floor is 2 spaces away from where the player wants to cross, a bomb should be placed by the Gear at that very moment)

Skewer Hard Block (串刺しハードブロック) Needles extend in every direction from this block. Being hit is not a miss, but items will be scattered. The needles come out from the block at random. (Note: By "miss" or "mistake", they mean that Bomberman loses a life or a Heart)

Bomb Warp (ボムワープ) The Bomb Warp and Conveyor Belt appear as a set. The Warp Hole is bomb-exclusive, if Bomberman gets on nothing will happen. The warp destination is entirely random.

[Collapse] Japanese Text
電波塔
一定の間隔で電波を発射。
ボンバーマンがこれに当
たると少しのあいだ動け
なくなる。破壊するには
4本の柱に4回ずつダメ
ージを与えればいい。

ドールジェネレータ
ドールを1体倒すたびに
下の出口から新たなドー
ルが出現。ジェネレータ
を壊さないかぎり延々と
戦うことになる。4回炎
を当てると破壊できる。

わたあめジェネレータ
次々にわたあめを作り出
す装置ここから出てき
たわたあめに当たるとボ
ンバーマンかはじかれて
しまうので注意。4向炎
を当てると破壊できる。

ねばねば床
床の上では移動スピード
が極端に遅くなる。敵や
炎から逃げるときはこの
床がない方へ向かうこと。
ちなみにキックした爆弾
か遅くなることはない。

でっぱりハードブロック
一定間隔でブロックか上
下または左右に移動する。
ブロックが点滅を始めた
ら移動する前触れ。無理
に通ろうとしないで他の
道から移動しよう。

磁石
定期的に作動して爆弾を
吸い寄せる(追跡ボムは
吸い寄せられない)。爆
発待ちをするときは磁石
が作動したときのことを
考えて場所を選ぶこと。

カッターソーサー
定期的にカッターを発射
する装置。発射される前
には、カッターが現れ回
転音がする。この状態に
なったらすぐに発射口の
前から避難しよう。

移動床&歯車
離れている地形を行き来
するときに使う床。歯車
に炎を当てるとこの床は
止まる。床が目標の2ブ
ロック前にきたら爆弾を
置くとちょうどいいはず。

串刺しハードブロック
ブロックの四方にハリが
のびる。当たってもミス
にはならないがアイテム
をばらまいてしまう。ど
のブロックからハリが出
るかはランダムだ。

ボムワープ
ベルトコンベアとセット
で登場。爆弾専用のワー
プホールで、ボンバーマ
ンが乗っても何も起こら
ない。ワープ先はまった
くのランダムだ。
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#379  Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:06 am  Reply with quote + 
On Shiro's request, I picked up Bomberman Story just for its manual (its like 34mb because they're unshrunk 600dpi scans, so have fun!). Haven't translated anything (when's the last time I did that?), but it's got new artwork of the Five Dastardly Bombers if that interests anyone.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#380  Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 am  Reply with quote + 
Yes! Awesome! Thank you so much! :happy: 

I suppose that I should go ahead and make a sort of progress update, since I haven't been posting translations in this topic for a while. Basically, I've been pulling information from the guides and manuals and writing up articles on the Bomberman Wiki. Super Bomberman 1-4 are essentially complete, including stage info, character info, boss info, and enemy info (as well as info for enemies that also appear in other games; if I run into such an enemy, then I go ahead and try to pull info on it from the other games in which it appears; for instance, several SB4 enemies appear in Bomberman MAX, and several SB3 enemies appear in Bomberman Tournament/Story).

Another guy is working on most of the Super Bomberman 5 articles, as he has the official guidebook.

The Bomberman Quest articles are nearly complete - I haven't covered all of the items yet, nor have I covered the Battle Game. Of course, having an English counterpart, there's not a lot of news there, except perhaps that some of the enemies also appear in Pocket Bomberman and that some of the items appear in the GBA Jetters game.

Anyone who may have been following this topic may follow my progress on the Bomberman Wiki. I go by Plasma Bomber there, and you can easily follow me by checking the Recent Wiki Activity.

Links to game articles:

Super Bomberman
Super Bomberman 2
Super Bomberman 3
Super Bomberman 4
Bomberman Quest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 19 of 24 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1968s
Index - Back to Top