Mega Man 9
[Replies: 17]  [Views: 3416]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Users watching this topic: 1  
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:29 am  Reply with quote + 
So yea, after all these long years, Mega Man 9 has come out. Your probably thinking... "Whats he talking about? Its been out for a good bit now." Well sure, for the wii ware and ps network, but not for xbox live arcade, dammit! Due to some coding issue... (i think) the game had to be delayed for xsbla. Of course, i was just a little bit pissed at this, but now its out, (came out yesterday) and there is no reason to complain anymore.

Anyway, for anyone who has played the game here other than me, what do you think about it? So far, I've beaten the eight robot masters, and i'm getting ready for scull castle... again. I got to say, this has been the hardest mega man game i've played yet!

Edit: I just beat the game a few minutes ago. The ending is kinda funny in a way, and has parts in it that are reminiscent of past games. For the most part, i enjoyed it a lot. The level design is fantastic, and is better than the older mm games. I had fun using the weapons and other items that you buy, (some being more useful than others though). Over all, great game. :P
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:15 am  Reply with quote + 
We have the Wii version. I haven't played it a whole lot yet but so far I've beaten 4 of the robot masters. I find the game to be pretty difficult but still very fun. It's alot of trial and error judging when to dodge things, etc. and alot of the jumps are tough to make. You barely make it sometimes even if you're jumping from the very edge of the ground.

Oh and Splash Woman is awesome, thus my avy.

I will be trying to finish it and pick up some of those items soon. I'm paticularly curious about the costume that shows Roll. I'm assuming you play as Roll which would be pretty awesome, Roll is one of my favorite Megaman characters.

Unfortunately this probably won't be till early next week. This weekend I'm going to the Providence Anime conference, woot! Lately I've been busy working on Shining Tears mostly, which I am almost finished. I also recently got into a couple DS games, "Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure" and "From the Abyss".
View user profile Send Private Message
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:34 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I'm paticularly curious about the costume that shows Roll. I'm assuming you play as Roll which would be pretty awesome, Roll is one of my favorite Megaman characters.

Sorry, but all it did was have Roll in a different costume when your buying your items. Pretty weird huh? :xeyes: 

The only other character i do know that you can actually play as is Proto Man. Though, this option isn't available yet until the down loadable content comes out.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:47 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm getting the Wii version soon, and I'm very excited. It got put into second place when I knew Bomberman Blast was soon to come (which I have) but I can't wait to try Megaman 9.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#5  Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:38 pm  Reply with quote + 
The Gold Bomberman wrote:
Sorry, but all it did was have Roll in a different costume when your buying your items. Pretty weird huh? :xeyes: 

A bit disappointing.... but also cool.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#6  Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 am  Reply with quote + 
Damnit, I need to get a Wii. :sad: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 am  Reply with quote + 
It's also on the other two systems now if you happen to have either of those.
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:08 am  Reply with quote + 
Hmm... have any of you heard about the down loadable content? Its supposed to be coming out today, but hasn't yet! I keep checking to see when ever I turn on my 360, but its never up for download yet. Its driving me crazy!

There's supposed to be two of them. First off, there's Proto Man mode, where you of course, get to play as Proto Man himself. Whats cool is that there are differences between the characters. First off, for any of you who miss being able to slide and charge a mega buster, (like me) well Proto Man will be able to do both of those things, unlike his brother. Not only that, but he'll also have his trusty shield to deflect small pellets from enemies nearby, sending the shots right back at them. Though, Proto Man is not strictly better than the blue bomber in every way. He also gets knocked back further than Mega Man, and i've also heard he takes more damage, but i'm not entirely sure about that. He also cannot complete challenges and maybe even xbox360 achievements.

Then there's Endless Mode, which is a level that never ends (of course). The objective is to get as far as you can in the level without ever dying, so its sort of like a survivor mode. Afterward, you can check your score on the leader boards, so that's gonna be pretty cool.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
I got the megaman 9 and have enjoyed it greatly, despite the fact that I never was all that good at megaman games (other then my favorite megaman 2, which i have memorized) and for the life of me can't beat more than 2 levels.

Oh, from what I've read protoman takes double damage, just like helmetless rock.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#10  Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
Terribly disappointed in the game to be honest. After six NES titles, the only thing good about this game is seeing how close it is to the previous 6 titles...and the music.

Sorry i'm not the type who likes to see regression just for the sake of hardcore megaman fans being pleased because the newer series are taking different (and sometimes better) approaches on the formula. And don't get me started on the DLC.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
neofcon wrote:
Terribly disappointed in the game to be honest. After six NES titles, the only thing good about this game is seeing how close it is to the previous 6 titles...and the music.

Sorry i'm not the type who likes to see regression just for the sake of hardcore megaman fans being pleased because the newer series are taking different (and sometimes better) approaches on the formula. And don't get me started on the DLC.

So you like the newer megaman for reasons that others think is impure to the series, I just tend to prefer the nes style for classic megaman and the snes style for x (and have found 8 pretty disappointing, though i enjoyed both the zx series and the bass series (though i've played VERY little of both), I don't really consider legends or battle network megaman games...).

Arguing over such things as preference is pointless (so I won't)... but I do ponder how you were disappointed though... we knew almost exactly what this game was aiming at when it was first announced, and it pretty clearly hit that mark. Don't buy a cow and then be disappointed that its not a horse.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#12  Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
neofcon wrote:

So you like the newer megaman for reasons that others think is impure to the series

I guess you could say that. Just a note. I can't stand Battle Network.

[qoute]I just tend to prefer the nes style for classic megaman and the snes style for x (and have found 8 pretty disappointing, though i enjoyed both the zx series and the bass series (though i've played VERY little of both), I don't really consider legends or battle network megaman games...). [/quote]

I've yet to play 8, but yeah ZX is very good. Legends is ok but the controls are hell on wheels. Whose idea was it to make it 3rd person!? and I did miss fighting 8 bosses but it's an ok title.

Quote:
Arguing over such things as preference is pointless (so I won't)... but I do ponder how you were disappointed though... we knew almost exactly what this game was aiming at when it was first announced, and it pretty clearly hit that mark.

I am a victim of hype. People say it's great, so I expect it to be such. Thats where I put my standards at till I play it. If it's getting crappy reception, my standards are low till I see it. What I had expected was at least some features that tell me it's a recent game. It only has a shop full of the usual items and a pointless roll costume.

Quote:
Don't buy a cow and then be disappointed that its not a horse.

hehe...I didn't buy it. Thats what friends are for :happy:  Just one thing. Cows give milk! and if they act up, they know where the grill is :P
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#13  Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
I haven't played much of the newer series myself like ZX or even battle network and zero. I have one battle network game that i tried breifly. It's very weird but I wouldn't say its bad. I'd need to play it more to make a better judgement.

As far as the original series go I generally liked all of them 1-8. Some were better then others. My particular favorites were 2,4, 6 and 8 while I didn't care much for 1 and 7 or megaman & bass if you wanna through that in there.

The X series I loved early on, but as you got into 4-6 they started getting insanely difficult (for me anyway). 7 tried that 3D stuff and ended up horrible. 8 kind of came back and was better but still difficult. I generally like most of the X series I just can't get through the latter half of them.

Megaman Legends I really enjoyed, even though it was 3D I like the approach it took better. As far as megaman goes I think a series that started in 2D should stay in 2D and a series that started in 3D should stay in 3D. If they wanna make a new 3D game they should make another legends, I think that would be awesome! Don't mess with the older series' already great formula. We've played so many of them we expect them to all be similar.

Innovation is okay, just don't completely change the style of the game. I like some of the clever things they did with mm9, like the platforms on chains you had to move with your body weight, granted its nothing new to videogames but we haven't seen it in megaman before.

Anyway I generally enjoy all megaman games. There were a few that weren't so great but they aren't all from a particular series so I wouldn't say any series as a whole is bad.

I'd love to keep going but unfortunately I have to go to work.....
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#14  Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I haven't played much of the newer series myself like ZX or even battle network and zero. I have one battle network game that i tried breifly. It's very weird but I wouldn't say its bad. I'd need to play it more to make a better judgement.

As far as the original series go I generally liked all of them 1-8. Some were better then others. My particular favorites were 2,4, 6 and 8 while I didn't care much for 1 and 7 or megaman & bass if you wanna through that in there.

The X series I loved early on, but as you got into 4-6 they started getting insanely difficult (for me anyway). 7 tried that 3D stuff and ended up horrible. 8 kind of came back and was better but still difficult. I generally like most of the X series I just can't get through the latter half of them.

Megaman Legends I really enjoyed, even though it was 3D I like the approach it took better. As far as megaman goes I think a series that started in 2D should stay in 2D and a series that started in 3D should stay in 3D. If they wanna make a new 3D game they should make another legends, I think that would be awesome! Don't mess with the older series' already great formula. We've played so many of them we expect them to all be similar.

Innovation is okay, just don't completely change the style of the game. I like some of the clever things they did with mm9, like the platforms on chains you had to move with your body weight, granted its nothing new to videogames but we haven't seen it in megaman before.

Anyway I generally enjoy all megaman games. There were a few that weren't so great but they aren't all from a particular series so I wouldn't say any series as a whole is bad.

I'd love to keep going but unfortunately I have to go to work.....

I hear ya, but my opinion on the subject is that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it! MMX7 for one thing, was some times 2D and some times 3D. My thought on that idea is, huhhh??

About the legends series, i watched an interview with Keiji Inafune (who said he wasn't planning on making a next gen mega man title by the way :cry:  ), and they asked if he was ever going to make another megaman game, like his own dream mm game, then what would it be. The answer he gave them was Mega Man Legends 3, but sadly that will never happen...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#15  Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 am  Reply with quote + 
I hear ya, but my opinion on the subject is that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

I agree with this in 90% of cases, but it is true that something can appeal to a different person even if its a change from the successful norm.

A personal example for me would be Bomberman 64. It tried many innovative things that got it some bash from fans of the series who enjoyed bomberman mostly as a 2D overhead multiplayer game. As you all know Bman64 focused more so on story mode and had many differences to the series. More complex puzzles like bomb jumping and the radius explosians instead of the regular cross ones. Yet there have been some people the game has appealed to even though they changed a formula that was for the most part working for them.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#16  Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 am  Reply with quote + 
[quote="Regulus 777"
The X series I loved early on, but as you got into 4-6 they started getting insanely difficult (for me anyway).[/quote]

Try the ultimate armor cheats. At least for X4 and 5. 6 is waaay to easy.
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#17  Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I hear ya, but my opinion on the subject is that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

I agree with this in 90% of cases, but it is true that something can appeal to a different person even if its a change from the successful norm.

A personal example for me would be Bomberman 64. It tried many innovative things that got it some bash from fans of the series who enjoyed bomberman mostly as a 2D overhead multiplayer game. As you all know Bman64 focused more so on story mode and had many differences to the series. More complex puzzles like bomb jumping and the radius explosians instead of the regular cross ones. Yet there have been some people the game has appealed to even though they changed a formula that was for the most part working for them.

Heh, i never played Bomberman 64, but from what i've heard, it sounds so opposite from Bomberman Live. While 64 has so much focus on story, Bomberman Live has 100% focus on multi player game play. Both games being strong, but also weak in what they do.

Another good example of innovation is castlevania SOTN, which was a huge turning point for the franchise, but unlike bomberman 64, SOTN's new metroid style game play may have worked out for the best.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
Based on what I did try and see of Mega Man 9, it was pretty neat. It was kinda nice seeing a series such as Mega Man go back to its roots. Although, my opinion may not be valid as I didn't really play too much of it (and I don't think I really will). Never was too big of a classic Mega Man fan, I'm more so a X guy myself.

Overall, I thought that the idea was pretty nice and refreshing. It's kinda nice to see a new trully old-school game come around when you used to play those kind of games before newer things came along. Nostalgic, I guess you'd call it.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1870s
Index - Back to Top