[Replies: 72]  [Views: 22037]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Online Bomberman Games
Users watching this topic: 2  
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#41  Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
The game is not out yet, correct? If not I hope it comes out here soon. I want to play!
View user profile Send Private Message
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#42  Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 am  Reply with quote + 
The game is now available according to the Bomberman Blast offical USA website (checked it today). :veryhappy: 

Bomberman Blast official website
Razon
Board Admin

Post#43  Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
The trailer for it looks lousy, I'd consider getting the full game to see how the story mode is. But I've been playing BOJ, and the battle mode for this doesn't look like it can compare- the one that I'm working on also plays better then how bomberman blast wiiware looks.
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#44  Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
My review of the game. I also posted this on the Hudson forums

So after spending a few hours on this game so far, I can safely say I like the gameplay better than that of Bomberman Live.

I'll start off by saying that while I like playing with the D-pad in Bomberman, both the Wiimote's and Gamecube's d-pad is much too small. My thumb sits over the whole thing.

I love all the different gameplay modes. I think they should've added a Panel attack aka Zombie mode.

The levels overall are better and are more creative than Bomberman Live's levels although some of the level specific anomiles (such as the UFO flying around, or the zombie hands from the graveyard) are too powerful or random. Again, it's a nice creative change though. I love how Pressure Blocks aka Sudden Death is handled in this game. It comes in many random variations (like it did ala Bomberman Land) to make the last few seconds of the game very interesting and less predictable.

The items in the game are nice. I like the fact that even while there is dangerous bomb, it does not get crazy large like it does in Bomberman Live. I still disagree with Power Glove allowing you to hold bombs indefinately but it seems that that if you short fuse a bomb, pick it up and throw it, it won't explode immediately (eg: the fuse timer resets). I love the addition of jelly bombs (I've always said that Bomberman Live should've had that). Seems this game doesn't have kick stop either (as it should be). Customizable weapon setups is also a great feature.

The point feature is a good addition to the Trophy (Win) feature. Sometimes I have to wonder about the point distribution but it nice knowing that it covers the fact that some people just sit in the corner and win by default (aka doing the least amount of work) and it adjusts for that, so they may not necessarily win overall. The point system is also great in King mode seeing as it'd be pretty lame if the person who had the crown at the end (as in the last 3 seconds of the match) won.

My biggest gripe of the game so far is the online menu setup. You only have two options, Friend Play or Ranked Matches (I've only played the latter). With Ranked matches you don't have the option of searching for game and it basically does a "quick search" which sometimes takes up to ~2 minutes. Then on top of that, you have to wait another 2-3 minutes for a match to end so you can join. Bomb dodge is nice and all for the first few times you play, but it gets to the point where you quickly want to join in an online match but you have to sit there and wait. So when all is said and done, you may be waiting for a total of 5 minutes or so to join a single match. This got old very fast.

I think they should add an Unranked match setup or something where you can choose from a server list of games going on (pretty much like in Bomberman Live). You should be able to look at the settings

Another thing I noticed is that there is no Team Play online. I searched for it but did not find such thing. I think this should be changed. Again, I have not played Friend

More indepthly, I don't think you should be dizzied with a bomb hitting you on the head while you're standing ontop of another one. Even Bomberman Live had this correct. The bomb should continue to bounce to the next open/free spot.

So overall the game is good and actual game modes, items, levels are better than Bomberman Live. I just think they seriously need to work on the Wifi Play menu setup. I just want to be able to either search for games or join current rooms already setup and not have to wait ~5 minutes to get a match going. I'm sure there will be some patches fixed and all and look forward to them.

I'll give it a 7.5-8.0 out of 10 as it stands right now. If or when they fix the whole online menu thing, I think it'll be deserving of close to a 9 (for perspective, Bomberman Live is a 7.0 in my book)

Last edited by Ven on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 pm
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#45  Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sounds great, I'll probably buy it tomorrow.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#46  Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ok, I got it today and I'm very impressed. Best new game I've played in quite a while perhaps.

The online is really a "blast" and I'll play any of you whenever. I'm looking forward to it!

(btw I think I'm going to make a clan for the game, PM if interested)
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#47  Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Hmm, the more and more I play this game, the more I seriously get annoyed by the waiting times. I thought Bomberman Live was bad enough when it first came out with the 2:00 timer between rounds waiting for everyone to press A to continue (thankfully they updated it to 20 seconds - but still left the 1:00 timer on the final win screen) but Bomberman Blast takes the cake.

As I said before, you sometimes (today a lot) wait for 5 minutes to get into a game, but then on occasion just when you think it's going to start, the game then disconnects or someone leaves making it shut down. Then you have to go through the WHOLE process again. :stun: 

Let's not even get into the waiting that you have to do between battle 1 and battle 2 when everyone looks at their score. If someone is looking at their score more indepthly (by pressing A and choosing their or someone else's player) you have to sit there and wait on them too. There's a 50 second timer at this screen. Then there's the waiting at the final win screen waiting for the next round of 2 games to begin. Better hope people don't leave or you're in for another wait. :mad: 

This game's online play seems to boarder that of MMOs in the fact that you have to set aside loads of time if you want to just play a few games. You do more sitting/waiting than playing. That is definitely not what Bomberman is about.

As far as the whole casting a vote to choose game mode and level. It should just take majority vote but no, it takes a Random pick of wait was voted. The only time it should do this is if there's a tie. The timer on both of these screens (Game Mode and Level) should be 10 seconds each.

In my first post I wasn't so harsh on it because of the "newness" factor the game had and I was just happy to finally play it. But the whole sitting around and waiting forever quickly erased that newness factor and started to make the game more annoying than fun. If no changes are made, this game will probably slump below Bomberman Live as far as online play goes and that says a lot when you consider what Bomberman Blast has to offer as far as actual gameplay goes. At least in Bomberman Live you can sign on and either quickly join a game, search for a game then join, or create your own. I mean is Nintendo's online not capabale of handling such easy functions as that? Good grief. Local play however is still great.

Also Air Raid should not show the fire paths on the ground. It'd be more exciting if people had to use more judgement in that mode.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#48  Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 am  Reply with quote + 
Good stuff to know, as anyone with such frustration with waiting through said periods might end up throwing their WiiMote through the TV despite the rubber glove. :stun: 

It's funny in a way since you almost need to have a version of Bomberman loaded up to play during the waiting time on Blast. Too bad they didn't incorporate that into the waiting screens with some form of minigame. I mean, they own the license for a ton of good minigame material. You could have some array of choices or just one. A shooter to keep your thumbs active in a Bomberman jet similar to the minigame in import GBA Bomberman Jetters Game Collection or one of the other series, some Bomberman batting practice, maybe Bomberman driving range golfing or putt-putt as it would be quick action, or any number of other venues giving quick bursts of activity during that phase to amuse you while you wait.
Bomberdude

Post#49  Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:59 am  Reply with quote + 
Well they do have a mini game while you wait to get into a game. It's called Bomb Dodge (pretty much like Air Raid) where you just dodge bombs and it keeps a little counter in the top right. Although this gets seriously old. It might make it a little better if they had more mini games there but still, sometimes you just want to play battle mode and not wait for eons.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#50  Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:08 am  Reply with quote + 
Ven wrote:
Well they do have a mini game while you wait to get into a game. It's called Bomb Dodge (pretty much like Air Raid) where you just dodge bombs and it keeps a little counter in the top right. Although this gets seriously old. It might make it a little better if they had more mini games there but still, sometimes you just want to play battle mode and not wait for eons.

I agree whole heartily. Hopefully updates will remedy this soon.
Bomberman

Post#51  Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:45 am  Reply with quote + 
Ven wrote:
Hmm, the more and more I play this game, the more I seriously get annoyed by the waiting times. I thought Bomberman Live was bad enough when it first came out with the 2:00 timer between rounds waiting for everyone to press A to continue (thankfully they updated it to 20 seconds - but still left the 1:00 timer on the final win screen) but Bomberman Blast takes the cake.

As I said before, you sometimes (today a lot) wait for 5 minutes to get into a game, but then on occasion just when you think it's going to start, the game then disconnects or someone leaves making it shut down. Then you have to go through the WHOLE process again. :stun: 

Let's not even get into the waiting that you have to do between battle 1 and battle 2 when everyone looks at their score. If someone is looking at their score more indepthly (by pressing A and choosing their or someone else's player) you have to sit there and wait on them too. There's a 50 second timer at this screen. Then there's the waiting at the final win screen waiting for the next round of 2 games to begin. Better hope people don't leave or you're in for another wait. :mad: 

This game's online play seems to boarder that of MMOs in the fact that you have to set aside loads of time if you want to just play a few games. You do more sitting/waiting than playing. That is definitely not what Bomberman is about.

As far as the whole casting a vote to choose game mode and level. It should just take majority vote but no, it takes a Random pick of wait was voted. The only time it should do this is if there's a tie. The timer on both of these screens (Game Mode and Level) should be 10 seconds each.

In my first post I wasn't so harsh on it because of the "newness" factor the game had and I was just happy to finally play it. But the whole sitting around and waiting forever quickly erased that newness factor and started to make the game more annoying than fun. If no changes are made, this game will probably slump below Bomberman Live as far as online play goes and that says a lot when you consider what Bomberman Blast has to offer as far as actual gameplay goes. At least in Bomberman Live you can sign on and either quickly join a game, search for a game then join, or create your own. I mean is Nintendo's online not capabale of handling such easy functions as that? Good grief. Local play however is still great.

Also Air Raid should not show the fire paths on the ground. It'd be more exciting if people had to use more judgement in that mode.

I 100% agree, but I'm used to the Nintendo Wifi Connection and it's crap by now. It's usually been my main source for online play to be honest.

As for the wait times I do something else like get on the computer and go on forums, watch youtube videos, and get on facebook, and it takes away the boredom of waiting. Also if you play a lot of friend battles it's better because if you have good friends you can still have a blast and not have to worry about all the waiting crap. Also in most cases (or at least for me) the friends I play generally are way better than the people I usually get put with on the wifi servers search making it competitive.
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#52  Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, as of late I've been doing other things such as browsing online but I shouldn't have to do that. Bomberman isn't an MMO where you set aside TONS of time to play just a few games.

I havent' played any Friend matches. If you have the game send me a friend code so we can play sometime.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#53  Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Wait...so you have to play the waiting game before playing with people online?

Online Bomberman = starting to become fail

That one player mode looks killer still.
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#54  Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
neofcon wrote:
Wait...so you have to play the waiting game before playing with people online?

Online Bomberman = starting to become fail

That one player mode looks killer still.

Yes, you have to play bomb dodge while you wait for their game(s) to finish. What I usually do is use my computer (surfing the net) and just listen out for the Bomb dodge music to end so I know I'm going in a game.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#55  Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah Ven, we can exchange codes. There are extra things to do on friends battles including teams so if we get a bunch of people together it could be a lot of fun. And other times we can play just the two of us to see who is the better player.
Bomby McBomb-bomb
Bomberbie

Post#56  Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hello! This is my first ever post! I have been playing Bomberman since my Dynablaster days on the Amiga and fell in love with it again on the Wii this week. Is there anything more fun than bombing your friend's face off in Battle Mode for 6 hours a nite?!?! I decided to give the Story Mode a try today. After an hour of unskippable intros and training games I gave up! Is there any way to skip the foreplay and get the bomb party started?

ps great site - keep up the great work! :)
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#57  Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well those of us in the eastern world do not have story mode. The WiiWare version only came with multiplayer mode.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#58  Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Is the Retail version going to hit NA?
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#59  Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
Probably not.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#60  Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:41 am  Reply with quote + 
Most of the 2D bomberman story modes are pretty much the same thing. It's not like we're really missing anything. you go from map to map killing enemies and collecting power ups some games you'll fight a boss every so often and the scenery will change.

In my opinion getting a retail version really isn't necessary, but who am I to say such things, right?
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Online Bomberman Games All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 3 of 4 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2946s
Index - Back to Top