Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 3  
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#21  Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
the planet seen in the intro does not have a face or moon (at least not a visible one

Yep. But they doesn't have to always be visible :wink: 

Shiro wrote:
In Bomberman '94, a normal (albeit cartoonized) moon is shown in the ending, alongside

Two possible explanations: either it comes naturally to the programmers to make the moon yellow when seen from the surface, or it could be that way because of the reflected sun rays (our moon too changes color from yellow to red... even though it is really gray)

Shiro wrote:
normal buildings (although this last part proves nothing, since Super Bomberman 5 shows the bombers playing soccer).

Yeah "normal" buildings aren't much of an indication.

Shiro wrote:
Thus, I believe Planet Bomber was a later concept, or maybe something they used once in '93 and decided to bring back in Super Bomberman 5.

I would say Planet Bomber as a name and in appearence is certainly a later concept, but a retroactive one, applying to all games in the new continuity started by the PCE and SNES games (well minus 3 and 4).
However, the same goes for the non-Earth setting they went for in 93 (applying to the previous PCE Bomberman and the others to come).
In other words, first we had the original Bomberman on PCE, which did not really define the setting (unless it did in the manual. Damn I really wish I had it). Then came 93 which established that this new Bomberman did not live on our Earth. And finally SBMan5 establish/revealed Bombarman's planet as Planet Bomberman.

Shiro wrote:
a planet with a bomber face seems kinda cheesy, but that's just me!

Oh it certainly is cheesy, but it's canon all the same *lol*

Shiro wrote:
Super Bomberman 3 is indeed set on Earth, as proven by the Battle Mode with real life countries

Set on? Not really. Some of the battle stages are based on levels from the story mode, which we know are on a bunch of planets. My educate opinion would therefore be that the Bombers in battle mode are only representing Earth countries, not battling in them (kind of like how a sports team represent their nation while playing in another).

Shiro wrote:
Then, there's Super Bomberman 4's ending, which shows "Earth", not Planet Bomber, as seen here

Same thing I said to the first quote.

Shiro wrote:
The GBC series also seem to be more based on reality than the other games, since it depicts (maybe for the first time, I'm not sure) Bomber the Kid, an Indiana Jones of sorts

How is that more based on reality? :xeyes: 

Shiro wrote:
Hero Bomberman, a knight.

You mean from Pocket Bomberman? That game is followed by Bomberman Wars, which is tied to Bomberman World (the latter being clearly in the same continuity as the SBMan games).

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Hudson Soft doesn't seem to care much about canonicity. I'm sorry, but it's true.

You make it sound worse than it really is. Besides, yesterday's Hudson is not the same as the Hudson of today (for worse, sadly).

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Plasma Bomber and Magnet Bomber show no signs of robotic parts

No more so than Bomberman at least :wink: 

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Pretty Bomber and Magnet Bomber are distinctly human, as you can see their skin

I'm sorry but I do firmly believe this statement to be distinctly wrong. Maybe they were humans, but not anymore (emphasis on the maybe).
And skin? You mean arms and legs? They are the same color as Bombermen other than the White one, aren't they?

Dark Zaphe wrote:
As to what exactly happened to Brain Bomber and Golem Bomber, that most definately doesn't matter, such as the question of why Dr. MechaDoc is the way he is, and why Bazooka Bomber is so heavily patched. They were just designed this way by the developers so that they would look more evil and/or formidable

To this I do agree.

Shiro wrote:
I suppose there are lots of good and bad ideas, like, for instance, oval-head chibified characters that have no legs, and they end up using many of them, which explains the lack of constant style in the series, thus eliminating any chance of a canon. I sometimes prefer to think they are alternate universes or something

This is certainly true, it is hard to tell when a bunch of games belongs in a different time frame within the series or anotehr continuity altogether. Generally I like to go with the former option, but in some cases the latter seems more plausible.
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#22  Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quick post, because I really need to go to sleep: the moon doesn't always have to be visible, that is true, but the "Earth" is seen twice, once in the intro, once in the ending, and the moon is in neither. Considering the purple moon represents that thing bombers have over their heads, I don't think it would go THAT unnoticed. Also, I consider that explanation for the normal moon in '94 invalid, because, you see, it really does look like a normal city, and in '93 the moon is purple even at night. I don't think it would change from purple to yellow, anyway, and it is depicted like a cartoonish moon, much like the ones in old Mickey Mouse shorts. Again I point the above statement of what the purple moon represents and say that, being what it is, the odds of Hudson turning it into a cartoonish moon are low. There is also the first Super Bomberman's moon, which is shown in the ending and is surely not purple. I really doubt they thought about sun reflection while spriting the moon, lol!

Moreover, if the fighters in the Battle Mode represent Earth countries, doesn't that mean they naturally come from there? Bomber the Kid, for instance, seems american in the same way Bomber Uhho seems Kenyan and so on. The characters are pretty obvious references to the Earth, at the very least. Plus, Super Bomberman 5 was a retcon itself, since Planet Bomber is clearly different from the planets seen in the first four games and it still depicts places from all of them.

Moving on, by "based on reality" I mean "based on Earth's stereotypes and characters", like Indiana Jones and heroic knights. Plus, if Pocket Bomberman is followed by Bomberman Wars, it can't be really placed on Planet Bomber if the planet itself may or may not be a later concept, isn't that right? In any case, I prefer to disconsider some things and modify the story to my own needs and likes, specially if I find something too ridiculous or unreliable. Thus, pardon me, but, I discard the idea that Planet Bomber (the de facto planet, since "Planet Bomber" may as well be the name of the Earth-like one, too) was the original (not retconned) setting for the first four games in the SNES series, unless someone gives me a very good reason to do it. One thing is for sure, though: Panic Bomber W is indeed set on Earth. Plus, in my humble opinion, the place shown in Bomberman '93 is indeed... Weird. Yeah, that's the perfect word for it. Also², I dislike retcons, specially if they come for the worst. However, that is only my opinion. Feel free to discuss it, since, as I said before, Bomberman discussion and theories are surely replenishing!

Oh, and, sorry if I was rude here. I'm very sleepy, so much that I'm almost drooling, but I had to finish some issues, and let's say I'm not really nice when sleepy, if you know what I mean. In any case, sorry!

Last edited by herrDoktorat on Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 am
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#23  Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
Quick post, because I really need to go to sleep: the moon doesn't always have to be visible, that is true, but the "Earth" is seen twice, once in the intro, once in the ending, and the moon is in neither. Also, I consider that explanation for the normal moon in '94 invalid, because, you see, it really does look like a normal city, and in '93 the moon is purple even at night. I don't think it would change from purple to yellow, anyway.

That's your call to make. Me, I already expressed my point of view on the issue.

Shiro wrote:
if they represent Earth countries, don't that mean they naturally come from there? Bomber the Kid, for instance, seems american in the same way Bomber Uhho is Kenyan. The characters are pretty obvious references to the Earth, at the very least.

So you assume that Pretty Bomber was a French girl kidnapped by Bagular and turned into a cybernatic villain-ess?

Shiro wrote:
Super Bomberman 5 was a retcon itself, since Planet Bomber is clearly different from the planets seen in the first four games and it still depicts places from all of them.

Super Bomberman 5 is a time travel story, just like 4. Except this time they are time traveling into the previous games.

Shiro wrote:
if Pocket Bomberman is followed by Bomberman Wars, it can't be really placed on Planet Bomber if the planet itself may or may not be a later concept, isn't that right?

Except both of those games were released after SBMan 5 :shifty: 

Shiro wrote:
In any case, I prefer to modify the story to my own needs and likes if I find something too ridiculous or unreliable. Thus, pardon me, but, I discard the Planet Bomber idea and stick-up with the older games unless someone gives me a very good reason. Plus, in my humble opinion, the place depicted in Bomberman '93 seems... Weird. Yeah, that's the word. Also², I dislike retcons, specially if they come for the worst. However, that is only my opinion. Feel free to discuss it, since, as I said before, Bomberman discussion and theorues are surely replenishing! <3

[EDIT]: Oh, and, sorry if I was rude! I'm very, very, veeeeery sleepy.

Quite a bit yes.
Discussing the plot of a game series is pretty pointless when those doing so suddenly go "I don't care what the games say, I only accept things I like and twist the plot to suit my taste". I mean, that's cool if you want to write an A.U. fanfic, but it doesn't help when trying to figure out what the programmers meant for the games, how they connect to each other etc.
I myself am not a fan of retcons either, but I won't shun one if I believe it to have occurred (and seeing as it is pretty much implied that Bomberman was on his home planet, in the PCE and SNES games, which is later revealed to be Planet Bomber...)
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#24  Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yes, I just edited my post (again) with a less rude and more logical point of view, hehe. Sorry for that, when I'm sleepy, Hulk smash.

But really, it's not that I'm against Planet Bomber, I'm just... Against it before Super Bomberman 5, disconsidering the retcon. I still like it on "newer" games like Bomberman 64. Oh, and I didn't know that Pocket Bomberman was released after Super Bomberman 5. Was Bomberman GB released after it, too? If so, a fraction of my theory was just crushed! Anyway, I really need to sleep now, before I say more stupid things.

[EDIT]: I was just reminded of something, that Bomberman GB is a movie shown in Bomber Theater. Disregard all my comments about it.

Oh, and... About "how they connect to each other", after all this discussion I'm beginning to concur with Zephe in regards to that matter: there are many plot holes. But I must admit they tried to connect the series as a whole with Super Bomberman 5, that is an undeniable fact. Now, if only they made a game explaining things like the connection between Brain Bomber and Max or "who the hell is Bagular" instead of making "Cheerful White", "Cool Black" and, ugh, "Cute Pink" visit a theme park, it would be perfect, don't you agree?

In any case, please forgive me for before. I don't want to argue (or let you down) for something so stupid like my bad mood or personal problems, and plus, I didn't say what I wanted to like I wanted to, but it is (somewhat) fixed now. Sorry!
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#25  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 am  Reply with quote + 
Why do you guys keep calling me "Zephe"? Lol :hilarious: 

Anyway...

Duke Serkol wrote:
I'm sorry but I do firmly believe this statement to be distinctly wrong. Maybe they were humans, but not anymore (emphasis on the maybe).
And skin? You mean arms and legs? They are the same color as Bombermen other than the White one, aren't they?

It's true that Kurobon and some others have the skin colored arms and legs, however the Five Bad Bombers are definately not "real" Bombermen, you can tell that they are wearing almost motorcycle-style helmets, with the point coming down near the chin, the top of the helmet rounded off and more human-like, as opposed to the Bombermen that appear in the game and have the more square shaped head.

Case study:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4057/sb2fivebadbombersqc5.jpg

You can see all five of them here, with those helmets I described. Up in the top left corner you can see Bomberman with a differently shaped head. There are much better examples, I know, especially in the Super Bomberman 3 manual, where you can see how different their heads are. Unfortunately I can't scan anything right now, so that will have to wait...

Duke Serkol wrote:
So you assume that Pretty Bomber was a French girl kidnapped by Bagular and turned into a cybernatic villain-ess?

Interestingly enough, I've been under that impression ever since the battle mode of SB3. That's what I figured about the rest of them as well, I mean, being kidnapped (or recruited, doesn't matter which). Although this could explain what Shiro said about Golem Bomber appearing friendly in that Saturn Bomberman Fight game.

There's just something about this though.... Plasma Bomber seems more like a soldier, he does what he is told and directs the Five Bad Bombers without question. He even honors Shiro for defeating him in the second game by extending his hand. Pretty Bomber doesn't seem really evil, and is sometimes shown hanging around with Bomberman and company. Golem Bomber was seen as "nature-loving" or whatever in Saturn Bomberman Fight. Magnet Bomber has never really shown any emotion or characteristic traits.... that leaves Brain Bomber, who is the only one who really seems purely evil. He never shows emotion in SB2-SB3 (except for the "Oh I'm f###'d" look he has when you kill him in SB2). The first time he ever shows any other emotion is in Bomberman Story, where he leads the Five Bad Bombers, possesses Max, takes over a world, and builds a death machine.

Hmm....
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#26  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 am  Reply with quote + 
Hahaha, sorry! It won't happen again, Zaphe.

You know... I liked that theory about they being kidnapped. I really liked it, actually. In the Bomberman commercial, the bombers are represented by costumes while Pretty Bomber and Plasma Bomber were persons with, much like you described, motorcycle helmets. Plus, there is Golem Bomber: I don't think he is naturally evil after seeing those cutscenes. Maybe he was just being controled by Bagular, after all, or perhaps his programation went off after the explosion in SBM3.

A little something else: the first Bomberman is somewhat controversial in regard to the people that inhabit the place. Carat Diamond and Dr. Mook are obviously human, while the people you rescue in the third (or fourth, I don't remember) stages are Bombers. Plus, the aforementioned villains want to steal Bomberman's advanced combat and offensive capabilities, proving what everyone already knew, that he is an android (at least in this specific game) built on an Earth of sorts. It is also stated that Black Bomberman's castle was taken, placing this game on the original storyline in which Kuro was a villain.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#27  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
hehe. Sorry for that, when I'm sleepy, Hulk smash.

But really, it's not that I'm against Planet Bomber, I'm just... Against it before Super Bomberman 5, disconsidering the retcon.

If that makes you feel better :hilarious: 

Shiro wrote:
Was Bomberman GB released after it, too? If so, a fraction of my theory was just crushed!

No, that one came along between SBman 3 and 4. It's really Bomberman GB 2 btw (1 was the game that got turned into Wario Blast, so they just removed the number for our release)

Shiro wrote:
Bomberman GB is a movie shown in Bomber Theater. Disregard all my comments about it.

That's just a funny Super GB border. It's not even the one used while playing the story mode, so I wouldn't give it any weight.

Shiro wrote:
I'm beginning to concur with Zephe in regards to that matter: there are many plot holes.

Not sure if that's the proper term... I mean, for the most part we don't have contradictions or unexplaineable things, mostly its redundancies or lack of continuity. That's the way I see it at least.

Shiro wrote:
if only they made a game explaining things like the connection between Brain Bomber and Max

They did. It's called Bomberman Tournament. I'm teasing you of course, but if you read between the lines, the game is pretty straightforward about it: Max was originally a human knight on planet Phantarion. He fought against Brain Bomber when he and the gang first came on the planet but he was captured and turned into the Max we know. Somehow, he got away from Brain Bomber and joined the side of good at the Bomberbase. Then Tournament starts as the Dastardly Bombers return to Phantarion.
...I wonder if Max is supposed to be the starring character of Neutopia II (Phantarion is clearly enough the setting of the two Neutopia games)

Shiro wrote:
or "who the hell is Bagular" instead of making "Cheerful White", "Cool Black" and, ugh, "Cute Pink" visit a theme park, it would be perfect, don't you agree?

Yeah, I would drink to that :down: 

Shiro wrote:
In any case, please forgive me for before. I don't want to argue (or let you down) for something so stupid like my bad mood or personal problems, and plus, I didn't say what I wanted to like I wanted to, but it is (somewhat) fixed now. Sorry!

That's okay, it's all good :happy: 

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Why do you guys keep calling me "Zephe"?

Whoops :oops: 

Dark Zaphe wrote:
the Five Bad Bombers are definately not "real" Bombermen, you can tell that they are wearing almost motorcycle-style helmets

But that could just be a stylistic choice on Bagular's part (or Hudson's really), to make them look cooler.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
could explain what Shiro said about Golem Bomber appearing friendly in that Saturn Bomberman Fight game.

Could be yes... but seeing as even Pretty was feisty in all games other than the Land ones (and those two Jetters episodes) which came a long time later, I'm tempted to write it off as Golem Bomber being portrayed like Ground Bomber (Jetters again): a big doofus with his heart in the right place but fooled by his evil comrades/masters.
...not that he sounds at all like that in Tournament *lol*

Shiro wrote:
In the Bomberman commercial, the bombers are represented by costumes while Pretty Bomber and Plasma Bomber were persons with, much like you described, motorcycle helmets.

Indeed that was so. I'm not at all opposed to the kidnapped humans theory, I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of debate.
Something crazy just occurred to me. In the videos Shiro dug up Pretty Bomber is said to be Hudson's honey. In Neo Bomberman, Honey fights with heart shaped bombs, like Pretty in 2. Could it be Honey is Pretty Bomber with different clothes? Do they ever appear in the same game?

Shiro wrote:
the first Bomberman is somewhat controversial in regard to the people that inhabit the place. Carat Diamond and Dr. Mook are obviously human, while the people you rescue in the third (or fourth, I don't remember) stages are Bombers.

Planet Bomber clearly has a mixed population. Where do you think Dr. Ein lives? :wink: 

Shiro wrote:
the aforementioned villains want to steal Bomberman's advanced combat and offensive capabilities, proving what everyone already knew, that he is an android

Well the plot is that they create a robot in his likeness but without free will.

Shiro wrote:
It is also stated that Black Bomberman's castle was taken, placing this game on the original storyline in which Kuro was a villain.

That's not the original storyline, that's the main storyline which (apart from Land and Jetter games) is still being carried on. The original storyline was the one with Bomberman as a bomb manufacturing slave robot that escapes to become human (which got sequels in Bomberboy, Bomberking and maybe a couple more games).
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#28  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
It is not? I kinda thought Bomberman II was a direct sequel to the first game, after Bomberman was turned human but without sprite differences to help build a mascot or something (since his human form is Lode Runner). But, to be frank, I do not know much about the very first Bombermen, since my fandom concentrates on the SNES series (at this point, this was pretty obvious, uh), so I may be wrong about that. About Dr. Ein... Look, Bagular is dancing the conga!-- Gee, I had forgotten about him. Oh, and, I just remembered that PC Engine Bomberman had two humans, one of which Bomberman had to rescue and was remarkably different from himself: there is one that looks like a doctor, and he could pretty much be an earlier design for Dr. Ein, or maybe the one who built Bomberman since there he owns such a large lab, don't you think? In this same game Kurobon's castle was destroyed, though, so I don't give it much credit (since it was supposedly taken in Super Bomberman). I also don't think a castle can be easily rebuilt, even for Bombermen.

In regards to Bomberman Tournament: you know, I never really noticed it in that way! To me, it all seemed just slightly implied. But since it's been almost two years since I've last played the game, I'll have to play through it again to make correct statements about this. I also never even heard of Neutopia, so I'll have to check on it later. It shouldn't be too hard, though.

...You know, we could make a wiki of sorts to Bomberman. There are many games and many plots, if I wasn't a diehard fanboy, I wouldn't remember half of it! I did edit some articles in wikipedia, but I can't go in-depth there (much like comparing the original wiki with Mario wiki, which is much, much more complete). I also don't feel good about making articles in Bomber Wiki, since it feels the place is abandoned.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#29  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
I kinda thought Bomberman II was a direct sequel to the first game, after Bomberman was turned human but without sprite differences to help build a mascot or something (since his human form is Lode Runner).

Bomberman II came out very late in the life of the NES. In fact, I'm pretty certain it came out shortly before Bomberman 93 on the PCE... which means already after the first PCE Bomberman game. This makes sense since both games feature the Black Bomber. So yeah, that would classify Bomberman II more as a sequel to the PCE Bomberman than the NES one. Ironic uh?

The original Bomberman on NES, like I said and as you pointed out, has had only a few sequels. The Hudson-made NES Lode Runner games (although technically it is Bomberman that is a prequel to those), Bomberking and Bomberboy on the GB (I'm listing these two in order of release, but in terms of plot it's the other way around).
The arcade games by Irem also appear to be set in this continuity, but that is open to debate.

Shiro wrote:
I just remembered that PC Engine Bomberman had two humans, one of which Bomberman had to rescue and was remarkably different from himself: there is one that looks like a doctor, and he could pretty much be an earlier design for Dr. Ein, or maybe the one who built Bomberman since there he owns such a large lab, don't you think?

That seems in fact to be the case. I mean, I do not have any official sources (like say, manuals *sigh*) but I've heard some people who seemed to know their stuff state that the scientist in the first PCE Bomberman is Bomberman's creator, Dr. Ein. Looks like in the future they finally find the cure for baldness (either that or he transplanted his beard on top of his head).

Shiro wrote:
In this same game Kurobon's castle was destroyed, though, so I don't give it much credit (since it was supposedly taken in Super Bomberman). I also don't think a castle can be easily rebuilt, even for Bombermen.

Yeah, the Black Bomber can make his own artificial planet, but fixing a castle? That's impossible clearly :wink: 

Shiro wrote:
In regards to Bomberman Tournament: you know, I never really noticed it in that way! To me, it all seemed just slightly implied. But since it's been almost two years since I've last played the game, I'll have to play through it again to make correct statements about this.

The quotes ARE admittedly thrown at you in a rather unorganized fashion, so one has to commit them to memory in order to understandwhat the heck they are going on about (for most of the game, I thought there were two Max, Bomberman's friend and a knight. Only during the ending when the queen recognized him I realized they were one and the same).

Shiro wrote:
...You know, we could make a wiki of sorts to Bomberman. There are many games and many plots, if I wasn't a diehard fanboy, I wouldn't remember half of it! I did edit some articles in wikipedia, but I can't go in-depth there (much like comparing the original wiki with Mario wiki, which is much, much more complete). I also don't feel good about making articles in Bomber Wiki, since it feels the place is abandoned.

I always wanted to make my own Bomberman site to write up this sort of stuff as well as details on the game mechanics (like list in which games the kick cancels the bomb pass and viceversa rather than letting you have both). Never got around it due to both time ad lack of webspace.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#30  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
It is also stated that Black Bomberman's castle was taken, placing this game on the original storyline in which Kuro was a villain.

I didn't recall it actually mentioning his castle.... so then, I guess that DEFINATELY establishes the connection between the previous games and the SNES series. Sweet!
I had thought this before, but it wasn't completely verified for me as my manual's description is a bit fuzzy on the Shiro/Kuro alliance.

Duke Serkol wrote:
They did. It's called Bomberman Tournament. I'm teasing you of course, but if you read between the lines, the game is pretty straightforward about it: Max was originally a human knight on planet Phantarion. He fought against Brain Bomber when he and the gang first came on the planet but he was captured and turned into the Max we know. Somehow, he got away from Brain Bomber and joined the side of good at the Bomberbase. Then Tournament starts as the Dastardly Bombers return to Phantarion.
...I wonder if Max is supposed to be the starring character of Neutopia II (Phantarion is clearly enough the setting of the two Neutopia games)

I never clearly understood the story behind Bomberman Tournament... I knew Max had originally fought off the Five Bad Bombers, and it seemed like he got wounded by Brain Bomber but also wounded Brain Bomber.... if he was transformed into the Max we know now, though, the Max that can use bombs, then that only further supports my theory that the Five Bad Bombers were also humans converted into Bomberman cyborgs. Buahahahahaaa! Ahahaha! Ha! Ha. Ahem.

Duke Serkol wrote:
But that could just be a stylistic choice on Bagular's part (or Hudson's really), to make them look cooler.

My point is that they have chins, though...

Duke Serkol wrote:
Could be yes... but seeing as even Pretty was feisty in all games other than the Land ones (and those two Jetters episodes) which came a long time later, I'm tempted to write it off as Golem Bomber being portrayed like Ground Bomber (Jetters again): a big doofus with his heart in the right place but fooled by his evil comrades/masters....not that he sounds at all like that in Tournament *lol*

Let's face the facts about Pretty Bomber: She's a flirt, and she wants to be the center of attention. Sorry, but it's basically true. :oops: 
Yeah, I used to think of Golem Bomber as just another big stupid strong-man type, until Bomberman Tournament, when you find out that he's actually pretty smart. :surprise: 

Duke Serkol wrote:
Something crazy just occurred to me. In the videos Shiro dug up Pretty Bomber is said to be Hudson's honey. In Neo Bomberman, Honey fights with heart shaped bombs, like Pretty in 2. Could it be Honey is Pretty Bomber with different clothes? Do they ever appear in the same game?

I'm pretty sure that that comment was a mistake, as she looks a lot like Honey. Although, don't you remember? We had this conversation a long time ago, like a year ago or something.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Well the plot is that they create a robot in his likeness but without free will.

I agree with this.

Side note about Bagular: He uses Jelly Bombs, right? And he seems to wear a Bomberman-style suit, right? Well, what if he used the same technology to convert the Five Bad Bombers into Bombermen, on himself? Perhaps, after being blown up in Bomberman '94, he was badly injured and had to build himself a Bomberman suit to survive.... which would explain the difference in appearance of the two characters.
Granted, he does use bombs in Bomberman '94, but then again he is wearing a Bomberman helmet in that game, which could possibly give him the power to use bombs.
And yeah, I guess he's wearing the Bomberman suit in that game too, under the cape.... however.... since every time he "rebuilds" himself, he looks basically the same, why wouldn't it make since that his body was already cybernetic at the beginning of Super Bomberman 3?
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#31  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 am  Reply with quote + 
Miss Honey is definitely not Pretty Bomber, to that I am pretty sure. Miss Honey was a mascot to Hudson sometime back and even had her own website. I think "Hudson Honey" is more of an stage name to Haruka-san or maybe a mistake commited by Assembler. Plus, Miss Honey and Pretty Bomber appear together in the game (you have to rescue both of them) and the cowgirl's original ability was actually shooting rather than tossing heart bombs that follow the enemy.

In regards to Pretty Bomber... Hm. Well, her sprites in Super Bomberman 2 show she is rather feminine, but on the game's sequel she has, at least in my oppinion, a truly evil look that strikes as a knife, both in sprite and in introduction. Then, in later games she is shown feisty like you described, so I'd say her "canon" personality is the flirt one, since she probably has no personality at all considering Bagular rebuilt them only to serve him. I, however, prefer this evil one, if you excuse me. I mean, she looks so cool! I still like the other one, though. Except for her Jetters representation, which I utterly despise with all the power of my mind.

Yeah, he could have rebuilt this castle, but I would find that so forced despite him having the ability to recreate artificial planets. Oh, well. Here is the scan of the Super Bomberman storyline, as stated in the instruction manual.

I've always thought Bagular was a Bomber, ever since the first time he appeared to me, on Super Bomberman 3. His body is similar to Golem Bomber's and his color scheme is the same as Bomberman's. Plus, he can use bombs. I think he may be a renegade Bomber who got too old and decided to take over the universe or maybe, as you said, someone who implanted Bomber abilities onto himself.

[EDIT]: Wow, just noticed the Earth (of sorts) actually appear in the intro to Super Bomberman 3. I can't believe I didn't see that before, geez! Well, I had seen it, but didn't remember. Damn fish memory.

About the wiki idea, well, I'm currently making a fansite to Bomberman and plan to put a lot of things there. But, as proven in this thread, there is much that I don't know about the storyline, since I usually focus on my favorite games rather than playing them all (although I DID play most of them, except for the GC and Dreamcast ones).
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#32  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:55 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
*Lots of stuff*

Yep, that's all good :happy: 

Dark Zaphe wrote:
My point is that they have chins, though...

But we can't tell what is under the helmets (barring Pretty's password stunt)

Dark Zaphe wrote:
I'm pretty sure that that comment was a mistake, as she looks a lot like Honey. Although, don't you remember? We had this conversation a long time ago, like a year ago or something.

Yeah it probably is just a mistake. And sorry, I did forget :oops: 

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Bagular: He uses Jelly Bombs, right? And he seems to wear a Bomberman-style suit, right? Well, what if he used the same technology to convert the Five Bad Bombers into Bombermen, on himself? Perhaps, after being blown up in Bomberman '94, he was badly injured and had to build himself a Bomberman suit to survive.... which would explain the difference in appearance of the two characters.
Granted, he does use bombs in Bomberman '94, but then again he is wearing a Bomberman helmet in that game, which could possibly give him the power to use bombs.

That seems very plausible. I always mantained that Bagular was a human that turned himself into a BMan because we see his organic brain (and as mentioned I believe BMen to be robotic). I never thought of having this transformation happen to him between 94 and SBMan3. Good idea :happy: 

Shiro wrote:
Miss Honey and Pretty Bomber appear together in the game (you have to rescue both of them)

Ah yes, I should have thought of that. Well, like I said, it was a crazy idea.

Shiro wrote:
her Jetters representation, which I utterly despise with all the power of my mind.

And, I would assume, the Land characterization too, right?

Shiro wrote:
I DID play most of them

Most of these?
That's a lot!
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#33  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:26 am  Reply with quote + 
Well, the Land one I just dislike, prefering the older ones, but the Jetters one... Her skirt looks like... Her head resembles a... The heart symbol on her head is a friggin' piece of jelly, UGH! Even her voice isn't as good as it were on previous games, they should've hired Marina Ohno and, I mean, she may be flirty, but not THAT flirty! Well, I probably say this because I dislike that representation and therefore want to hate everything related to it, hehe. Anyway, utter despise.

And yes, I did play most of these games except the for some titles in the Land series (which I don't really want to play) and the GC games, which I didn't have the money to buy. My friend surprisingly had both Bomberman and Bomberman 3D in her cell phone, so I could play and finish it, as well as the iPod Bomberman. Excuse the "surprisingly", it is very, very rare for those games to even get here, and I got surprised.

I once again agree with what Zaphe said, too. It is a very nice point there.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#34  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
My friend surprisingly had both Bomberman and Bomberman 3D in her cell phone, so I could play and finish it, as well as the iPod Bomberman. Excuse the "surprisingly", it is very, very rare for those games to even get here, and I got surprised.

Indeed! Which version of (regular) Bomberman was that? Can you describe it?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#35  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:31 am  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
Yeah, he could have rebuilt this castle, but I would find that so forced despite him having the ability to recreate artificial planets. Oh, well. Here is the scan of the Super Bomberman storyline, as stated in the instruction manual.

Hey, cool! Yeah, comparing my Americanized manual to that, they're very different... and the bad guys' names are translated as Mr. Karat and Dr. Mukk. :normal: 

Duke Serkol wrote:
But we can't tell what is under the helmets (barring Pretty's password stunt)

Look, I'll prove it:

Buahaha! It is I! :hilarious: 
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#36  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 am  Reply with quote + 
Well, as to the cell phone Bomberman: one could be compared to GB Bomberman, albeit much more colorful and hard to see. Bomberman 3D was cute and it's 3D was actually more like Nintendo DS' graphics, with plane trees but overall nice. Now, iPod Bomberman is the one I liked the most. It's style was kinda unique in which Bomberman had his square head, but was taller and more refined. As to the game itself, it runs on the classic formula and has well-known enemies like the Balloon. They are cool games, overall.

And, Zaphe... Now you got me curious! And I laughed. Hard. It also reminded me of Medabots: "It is I, the Phantom Renegade!"
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#37  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
I was asking about the first one actually, because that one seems to be available in a lot of versions.
Does it have bosses?
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#38  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mn, I did see some versions to download and make graphics better (or something like that), but... No, as far as I've reached, at least. It is a clone of the first game in the series: you are tossed in a random dungeon full of enemies and has to blow everything up, although it has stronger and bigger enemies every once in a while, but since the whole stage stays the same as when facing normal enemies, I guess they can't really be called "bosses". Rather, "slighty stronger and bigger enemies", hehe. Yeah, that basically explains the game. This version was more "cellphone-like" in a way that you can start playing anywhere without actually having access to a storyline. Wait a sec', I'll try to grab a screen of the game. But a little something: it wasn't one of the "Super" ports.

[EDIT]: It was this one.

Bomberman 3D, though, was different. But iPod Bomberman was kinda like that, too, albeit cooler.

Last edited by herrDoktorat on Sun May 25, 2008 3:03 am
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#39  Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:59 am  Reply with quote + 
That cell phone game looks a lot like Bomberman/Max (the first one). I'm sure it's not at all like it in gameplay, but the graphics style takes me back there...

Speaking of which, in the intro to those games, there were some really weird-ass looking guys in the background behind Bomberman and Max.
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#40  Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am  Reply with quote + 
More weird-ass looking than Max? Hehe, 'kidding. Well, gameplay is exactly like NES Bomberman, albeit in a cellphone, and the character is way hard to see with those extra colorful graphics, considering, of course, the screen size.

Speaking of weird-ass looking guys, do any of you have Bomberman Max - Ain (a direct link to it)? I've only found it in GlobalROMs (which is paid), DopeROMs (which has a broken zip) and torrents that aren't exactly reliable. I also found it on some site that you can play online, but I want the ROM. I kinda want to check it for the sake of information.

[EDIT]: Now I'm more curious to what, exactly, changes between Ain version and the other ones. I thought you got play with that red guy in the intro background, but it's just Shirobon.

Oh, and, iPod Bomberman also had some silly minigames.

Another something:

Is that a promotional border or something? I got kinda curious since I don't remember seeing that in-game, even in the ending, and I just finished to game to check on that. Can someone shed some light into this matter?

Also, that is the first game in which a Bomber Nebula is mentioned, although no Planet Bomber is shown (only... well, a piece of flying earth). It is also stated that Bomberman gains commandership and a new vehicle to patrol the nebula, which is somewhat even with the other games. Honey and Kotetsu appear a lot, too, although it was Cutie Bomber, a bomber I had never even heard of, that got me interested in the game. She seems to be the only female scientist of the team, as mentioned in the site. The site also states Bagular has something to do with Devil Bomber's awakening, something I find rather interesting. I mean, his influence must be huge!

[EDIT-2]: I was once again checking the site, and... It seems Bomber Nebula isn't a galaxy, as I had previously thought, but the 11th Bomber Planetary Nebula, a base or something like that. Sorry for that, my mistake and miscomprehension of english terms!
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 8 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.3854s
Index - Back to Top