Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman Story DS - a rambly review
[Replies: 5]  [Views: 1739]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
Miracle of miracles, I managed to get a hold of a (possibly bootleg) copy of Bomberman Story DS on eBay. It arrived on my doorstep late Saturday afternoon, and I beat it early Sunday afternoon.

Yeah. Short adventure mode is short, and with the most lame-o bosses (it wasn't until the very final boss where I actually had problems; I still beat him in one go, but I had to use up all of my health restoring items to do it). And you still can't get away from those damn minigames alkjlfkajlfkjlkfjlajd. But all in all, it's actually quite nice for the time that you're playing it. It takes the RPG-lite system from Bomberman Tournament (Bomberman Story in Japan) and twists and upgrades it. You can earn points towards gaining a level in experience, at which point a particular attribute of yours (bomb capacity, firepower, and some other stuff) is leveled up. You stop earning levels at Lvl. 16, though, since by that time the B-man is pretty tricked out anyway (bomb capacity at 7, firepower at five). There's also the Color Bomb system, which amazingly enough isn't just a set of standard elemental bombs. Probably the best one out of all of them is the unfortunately-named Blow Bomb: if you toss or kick this one, it'll split into multiple bombs (the number depends on whether you set down any other bombs before tossing it, as well as your max. bomb capacity at the time). You also don't have to wait for Color Bombs to explode before you can switch to a different one. For example, you can lay down a Yellow Bait Bomb to attract enemies, and as soon as you toss that, you can switch back to your regular bombs and take out the enemies.

Uh. Graphics are nice (again, upgraded from Bomberman Tournament). Music is nice but forgettable. Plot is a variation on Generation (that is, evildoer steals research secrets and plans to take over the universe with them, and so Bomberman must play the dog of the military and go fetch them back). Characters actually have some semblance of personality and dialogue, although since this is a Bomberman game, that's not really saying much. Still, I'll be amusing myself by cramming in a cameo or two in my fanfic.

Multiplayer seems pretty standard to me: you play against seven other opponents using both screens of the DS.

...if you guys have any other questions about the game, go ahead and ask me. I might work on a more in-depth, less rambly review that I'll be posting to the Bomber Base community on LJ (I'll link here when I'm done).

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#2  Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
I LOVED the GBA one, but it was way too short
Could you list the main differences between the GBA and de DS?
Is it a remake?
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ninja Bomber, Story DS is not a remake of the GBA game - it's entirely different.

A more detailed review, which I posted up at Bomber Base on LJ, can be found here.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sounds interesting. Although it sounds like it could have been better.
Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
Sounds interesting. Although it sounds like it could have been better.

New Bomberman games always sound like they could have been better
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
Not all of the more recent games have been a total disappointment. Some have, but not others. We have gotten a few good games this decade I'd say, but the best stuff for the most part would be the classics.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1562s
Index - Back to Top