[Replies: 26]  [Views: 6248]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 1  
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Okay I recently got Bomberman Land Wii and, well, it's certainly quite different from the DS one.
In the DS game you could travel freely betwen zones and play games as much as you wanted with no penalties for failing.

None of that holds true in this game. In Bomberman Land Wii you take part in an actual competition, or tournament if you will. You will have to clear every zone in a set order (zones are even divided in sections that open and close arbitrarily) and once you move past a zone, you won't be able to go back in it unless you get demoted.
Before entering a zone you are allowed to practice the new minigames you'll encounter in it... and you want to do that, because when you venture in, you will be given a number of tokens, which you spend to play the minigames, and once those are spent, the results will be in.
You cannot even save while you are in a zone spending your tokens, which means you really need to get a series of victories. If you don't, if you spend all your tokens without getting enough A ranks in the minigames (ranks go from A to E) you are better off hitting reset and starting over. But on a positive note, you don't play all games in a zone in one sitting (remember I mentioned sections opening and closing arbitrarily?) and once you've spent your current tokens you are allowed to save before getting more and trying other minigames. What's more, you have 20 save positions, so you can save without overwirting.
Interestingly, multiplayer games (which in single player mode are, of course, played against comp controlled characters) work in a different way: you don't get points based on rank (you don't get ranked at all) you simply get points for each opponenet you challenge and defeat (though THEY have ranks, and the higher their rank the more points you get).
And this may actually be the biggest problem of the game: there seem to be only 10 multiplayer minigames (5 for two players 5 for four players). What kind of party game has so few?

Anyway, as you can imagine these changes in the basic flow of the game make it very different from Bomberman Land Touch, and I would say quite a bit more challenging (and realistic? I mean, in Touch you could lose to one of your rivals fifty times, then you win once and that's it, you're the winner. Doesn't work like that here).
Hopefully it won't be getting so hard that obtaining the series of victories necessary to get first rank becomes near impossible.
Oh and yes, as I mentioned above, you can get demoted. Depending on your score you can either be promoted to the next zone, held in the current one or be demoted to the previous one. I dunno what sense that can possibly make... I'd just not save and start over (especially since, as I said, there's 20 save positions so you can keep several saves and start back from wherever you want).

I still have to properly try out the battle mode, but it seems interesting enough (although without much variety in terms of items), especially the new Wii controls (they are optional, fear not).
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, I have it too.

It's pretty good. The single player has more to it, and the battle mode has loads of custom options. You can play on the same stage with different colored blocks (around 6 different color/design types) 6 different gameplay modes, etc. Also, if you just have all day to do nothing, you can set it to 99 wins :P

One day when I have a whole day to myself (wonder if that will ever happen) I plan on completing a 99 win battle mode because that would be awesome.
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:51 am  Reply with quote + 
I was a little disappointed when trying out Wii controls battle to find out it was just revenge mode on Ballooms. Meh.
Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
I think that this games should have an updatem tuo add an onlie function, with Bomberman included.
By now, the absence of online in this game will still suck, and I will only buy the new WiiWare Nice review, anyway :P
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
I was a little disappointed when trying out Wii controls battle to find out it was just revenge mode on Ballooms. Meh.

Oh, that mode was bad.

The other battle mode stuff was good, but not that.
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:03 am  Reply with quote + 
I'll try out Bomberman Land for the PSP. Hudson is sending me and 4 others a free copy of it.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 am  Reply with quote + 
This is strange... I can't seem to find the math game in the delta zone. I was allowed to practice it in the starting area together with the other games that I can find in the delta zone, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Oh and...
Ninja Bomber wrote:
Nice review, anyway :P

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
This is strange... I can't seem to find the math game in the delta zone. I was allowed to practice it in the starting area together with the other games that I can find in the delta zone, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Oh and...
Ninja Bomber wrote:

It's in the delta zone. I played it, and got a good score on it, and that was the one game that caused me to not get demoted lol.

Ven wrote:
I'll try out Bomberman Land for the PSP. Hudson is sending me and 4 others a free copy of it.

Sounds interesting. How did you get them to send you a free copy?
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
But... where do I find it? :stun: 
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've already passed that zone, but my brother I think is there still, so if he is, I'll get on his file and take a screenshot for you to help.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks in advance :veryhappy: 
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
I apoligise, but I wasn't able to get a picture. Sorry about that.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
That's okay, thanks anyway :happy: 
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#14  Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:00 am  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:

Oh and...
Ninja Bomber wrote:

It's in the delta zone. I played it, and got a good score on it, and that was the one game that caused me to not get demoted lol.

Ven wrote:

Sounds interesting. How did you get them to send you a free copy?

If I am correct, Ven and I were amongst some of the members of the Hudson Entertainment forum to get free swag for replying to topic threads, as well as trivia questions. They are trying to liven up the forum posts there on their Hudson games and decided to give away free stuff, head on over and you might end up getting something.

This is what they sent me for my myriad of responses and correct quiz answer:

Pictured is a four sport (of the 10 on the full game) Wii Deca Sports promo disc, Deca Sports sweat band, GameBoy Adventure Island II new shrinkwrapped, PSP Bomberman Land new shrinkwrapped (now open for manual reading), and an import Hudson Soft Dungeon Explorer PSP hard shell custom case unopened. I do not know what they sent Ven, but they are awesome people from everything I've seen in video and so forth. Great group of guys and gals that enjoy what they are doing.
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:07 am  Reply with quote + 
I was pretty surprised to see how much you have to do to get the minigames opened up. The whole need for token thing makes it challenging, especially for me since I bogie a friend's Wii to play games on it at the moment. I really like being able to collect new bombers for BattleMode use by talking to them in the Story Mode though.

I had expected more minigames available for play, so in a way I was disappointed. But, for the price and the version BattleMode they included I'm happy. $30 was a steal for this game. All my friends, even the two who had never played Bomberman before loved the diverse stages. I have come to expect it naturally. Thanks for the info on what I have yet encountered. Have not played far enough in to get frustrated with things yet. :down: 

I am looking forward to playing both the DS version and the PSP version I have, though no consoles for that yet. I have two DS Bomberman games and getting Bomberman Land Touch 2 soon as well. I usually wait until Best Buy drops the price a bit and snag them.
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Are Europeans eligible to receive such goodies?
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#17  Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Are Europeans eligible to receive such goodies?

I don't know. Hudson Entertainment is the US arm of things, so I imagine there is a European arm of Hudson that might do similar things. I think anyone can be a member of the forum, I just am not sure what their rules on swag like this would be. I had made a disclaimer about just that thing when I posted the photo on another bomberman board, but forgot to do so here.
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Could you find out? Pwetty pwease? *puppy eyes*

(... I presume you may be thinking "Find out yourself n00b". I would, but I don't have the time for the next two days. However, it would be nice to know in advance. If I was eligible I may even scrunge up the time for making a post or two)
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#19  Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:45 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Could you find out? Pwetty pwease? *puppy eyes*

(... I presume you may be thinking "Find out yourself n00b". I would, but I don't have the time for the next two days. However, it would be nice to know in advance. If I was eligible I may even scrunge up the time for making a post or two)

LOL

http://www.hudsonentertainment.com/

I imagine you can find the forum and send a PM to the one posting some of the contests, when you have time in a couple days. I likely have even less time than you. I just multi task really well. :)
Bomberdude

Post#20  Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:34 am  Reply with quote + 
I was playing it until Brawl came out. It got a little stale. The battle mode is pretty fun though. Usually nobody can touch me in Bomberman, but the random battle unique mode gives other people a chance.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1773s
Index - Back to Top