Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Running a forum can be such a pain...
[Replies: 2]  [Views: 1198]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
Seriously, it can. Especially when it's a forum that has lots of problems.

This is basically a complaint/vent topic so if you aren't interested don't read it. Anyway, I helped to run a conciderably large site named IFCA. I was an admin, and it got hacked last month. I had backups so I wasn't too worried, but apparently the hacker did some stuff to make the backups almost useless. The forum had over 100k posts which had been done in under a year so it was a decently sized site. And we used the backup but the hacker did a bunch of crap, so it wa not very helpful. Now after doing all we can do, we are left with barely 20,000 posts, and most of the important members accounts deleted.

But what makes it worse is who did it. 006 is the name of the hacker, and he was a member of our site since around the time we first made it, and that was the summer of 06. It was a free host back then and he seemed to be an awesome member and everything. But, we also had an autistic member who freaked out, and made 006 mad and also apparently upset. Also we had a poor secondary admin at the time of the first site, so that only made things worse. 006 was mad and said he would destroy us. The next month that seemed over and it appeared 006 was over it. But the worst part is he spent a whole year plotting every last detail of how to completely destroy the site, and he finally did it. Just the fact that somebody would have that much patience to cause that much trouble really makes me mad.

To say the least we have problems, and it's giving me a headache. Running forums is not fun.
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
He got that mad over an autistic episode? Or, am I missing something here? It's ridiculous that somebody would do something like that, but, some people have no lives.

Interestingly though, 006 was a defected M16 agent who betrayed James Bond in Goldeneye. How long was it before he "got mad?" Most hackers who screw things up seem to do it for their own enjoyment.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, an autistic member freaked out, and flamed, etc and it just hurt 006's feelings from what I would get out of it. I'm pretty sure he is the type of person who has no life anyway, so I guess it's not that suprising.

But what you just mentioned about the 006 reference is very interesting. About him "getting mad" that was over a year and a half ago, and back in January of 07 he acted like he didn't hate us anymore or whatever. I think it's pretty sad though that somebody would waste a year and a half of their life plotting to hack/ruin an internet forum.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1295s
Index - Back to Top