So i'm finally into mangas...
[Replies: 8]  [Views: 3780]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk
Users watching this topic: 1  
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
All my life, i mostly read or listened to the stories of american comic books(mainly superheroe related) from my older brother, and i still do of course. Though, i finally thought "hey! I like anime, so i sure enough would like manga!". I dont know why i never got into it before, i guess i didn't want my brother picking on me for it. :hilarious: 

So i went to borders book store last sunday, and the sighn said something like "buy four mangas, get one free'', this really struck my interest so i just went for it! lol :mrgreen:

This is what i got...

Full Metal Alchemist vol. 1 through 4... I finished two of them so far, and like it of course. I loved the anime!

Berserk vol. 1(Haven't finished it, but plan on doing so toworrow :P )

Other mangas that i want to read are...

Big 0 (This is one of my faverote animes of all time!)

Trigun (A gun slinger story... i got into this anime several years ago, and hope to get back into it again in manga form)

Trinity Blood (I tried getting into the anime, but they stopped showing it on adult swim.)

Death Note (My brother just read the first volume and told me about it, i and i'll have to say it sounds preety interesting.)

Anyways, so what do you guys think of my choices, and what are some other recomendations for my collection?

Last edited by THE Gold Bomberman on Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:55 pm
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:01 am  Reply with quote + 
hehe cool.

Well I haven't read the FMA manga but the anime was pretty good so I'm sure that manga is a good enough choice.

Berzerk was also pretty good. I read that about 2-3 years ago so my memories are alittle hazy but I remember it being a bit graphic. It was pretty good though.

Well I have two types of suggestions for you. Theres things I really enjoyed but a lot of that stuff is shoujo(or in other words, manga generally for girls). Then there are things you might like based on what you're already into. Things that you might like based on interest that I also enjoyed I'll put *s stars next to. lol

Some of my favorites...
MARS - an angtsy romance story, with alot of suspense. Its an opposites attract love story where the 2 said people help each other overcome their personal demons.

Fruits Basket - This is a cute and funny story. There's a family called the Sohma's and they have a curse. If someone of the opposite sex hugs them they transform into animals. So they have to avoid that and keep it a secret from normal people. But a few members of this family take in this girl named Tohru who was living in a tent on their property since her mom passed away and she became an orphan. So yeah she basically finds out about their secret and lives with them. Hilarity ensues.

Gunsmith Cats* - This is a gunslinging, car chasing, action series. It's one of my favorites. It's about these two women who run a gun shop but are also bounty hunters behind the scenes. There's a lot of good action here.

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind* - This is fantasy story set in a dying world. There's this forest of corruption that emits poisonous miasma so no one can live there and the forest is slowly expanding. The world is also at war, using the technology that remains from the past since they no longer have the ability to make advanced equipment. It's a great story and it's by miyazaki too!

I don't read manga as much as I used to so those are the big ones for now. I haven't been reading it much since school ended. I used to always read it in class rather then doing my work. lmao. Now that I'm at home a lot more often I can just play videogames or watch anime. Well good luck! Hope I helped a little.
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
Add yotsubato/yotsuba&! to that whole list and you'll be golden. By far my favorite manga i've read. You can grab the americanized(adv) one or the fantransed one, like always the fan transed is a bit better. As for FMA, I'm still reading those whenever new episodes come out, america is seriously behind, so i catch the fantranslations.
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:21 am  Reply with quote + 
What is this yotsubato/yotsuba& about??

Regulus 777 wrote:
hehe cool.

Well I haven't read the FMA manga but the anime was pretty good so I'm sure that manga is a good enough choice.

Berzerk was also pretty good. I read that about 2-3 years ago so my memories are alittle hazy but I remember it being a bit graphic. It was pretty good though.

Well I have two types of suggestions for you. Theres things I really enjoyed but a lot of that stuff is shoujo(or in other words, manga generally for girls). Then there are things you might like based on what you're already into. Things that you might like based on interest that I also enjoyed I'll put *s stars next to. lol

Some of my favorites...
MARS - an angtsy romance story, with alot of suspense. Its an opposites attract love story where the 2 said people help each other overcome their personal demons.

Fruits Basket - This is a cute and funny story. There's a family called the Sohma's and they have a curse. If someone of the opposite sex hugs them they transform into animals. So they have to avoid that and keep it a secret from normal people. But a few members of this family take in this girl named Tohru who was living in a tent on their property since her mom passed away and she became an orphan. So yeah she basically finds out about their secret and lives with them. Hilarity ensues.

Gunsmith Cats* - This is a gunslinging, car chasing, action series. It's one of my favorites. It's about these two women who run a gun shop but are also bounty hunters behind the scenes. There's a lot of good action here.

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind* - This is fantasy story set in a dying world. There's this forest of corruption that emits poisonous miasma so no one can live there and the forest is slowly expanding. The world is also at war, using the technology that remains from the past since they no longer have the ability to make advanced equipment. It's a great story and it's by miyazaki too!

I don't read manga as much as I used to so those are the big ones for now. I haven't been reading it much since school ended. I used to always read it in class rather then doing my work. lmao. Now that I'm at home a lot more often I can just play videogames or watch anime. Well good luck! Hope I helped a little.

lol Your right... i do mostly go for these kinds of stories. :oops:  I've seen the Nausicaa of the vally of the wind movie, and it was preety good, but not great. I do love miyazaki's other animated films as well. My faverote of them probably being Porco Roso.

As for those other manga you mentioned, I thought just alittle bit about getting fruits basket but...

... my brother would shurely beat me up for that! :hilarious:  lol
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#5  Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
... my brother would shurely beat me up for that! :hilarious:  lol

hehe, I'm never afraid to explore a new series or genre when I find it interesting. I'm a totally open geek and proud of it. I don't care what people think of me reading or watching girly stuff. I enjoy it! and really, that's all that counts.

I have another friend who doesn't like other "normal" people seeing what he watches for anime or whatever. I argue with him alot over it but he's tough to convince. Oh well. All this really isn't my business so anyway yeah. What everyone does is there own decision.

I however feel no shame in doing what I do!
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yotsuba&! is about a really weird young girl who moved to a new town, and her adventures. Its realistic laid back slice of life comedy in its most standard since, plot can be seen as a minor thing. Its by the same author as Azumanga Daioh, I personally think its better by a bit.

You can get the americanized version, or theres fantranslations that go farther and are better. You can read them online at http://koiwai.biz/ . Just pick a chapter at random, or one of the better starting chapters like 3 or 9... and you can pick up what kindof manga it is pretty quickly. As for not liking people to know i like anime or manga, thats normally only the case when its stuff that was obviously written for girls, not very good, or covers subjects that I don't really care to discuss. Yotsuba&! on the other hand, I've taken to school, showed to a friend who thinks stuff like that is just odd and nerdy, and got him to read a chapter admitting it was pretty good (but if i told someone he said that he would kill me).

And a sidenote about FMA, the after the anime gets offtrack from the manga, the manga remains far superior in story.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
----

Last edited by Plasma Bomber on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:18 am
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
What is really nerdy? Excessive obsession over one thing (ex anime) which turns everyone else away and destroys your social life.

Other people use the word to describe someone who they think is smart and it agitates them.

So if anybody calls you nerdy for reading an anime book, they're just generalizing stereotypes, which is what breaks off certain items and subjects from the "acceptable" social world and feeds it to the nerds, making it exceptionally difficult to still be involved with that thing and not be vulnerable to prejudice. Thus, in order to stop this mad process of inspecting and rejecting, we should not care about the obsessions of uninvolved persons (in other words, don't stick your nose in other peoples' business).

In order to make this more clear, and to bring out the silliness of it all, what would happen if so called "nerds" became involved with football? What if they all suddenly started showing up at (North American) football games, and trying out for teams, and so on and so forth? With one or two, no doubt the jocks would tease and abuse them, but if they all started obsessing over football, would that not be grounds to abandon the sport? Yes it would, and anybody packing a pigskin would be socially ostracized.

Of course this wouldn't happen. It's an exaggeration. But isn't it logical, due to the previous patterns we've observed? Therefore, in a process which would result in your own undoing should you switch the variables correctly, to put it simply, you shouldn't be doing it. Unfortunately, however important my message might be, it will never be implemented like it should, and silly bias against items which are neutral themselves will continue on widespread.

Or I will eat my hat.

Were you talking about my post, If so its no big deal, this was a good friend and we tend to talk crap about each other all the time. When I showed it to him I was completely expecting that response. Plus I've learned not to really care what other people thought and do what I wanted a long time ago... and I've never really been given much crap from anyone other then close friends since then.

Point was more that Yotsuba& is good for a pretty broad audience then anything else. I may not like to admit to liking some animes, but that really depends on who I'm talking to. I don't really hide any of it from anyone though. Guess I should try and advertise them more, but ah well.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Were you talking about my post, If so its no big deal, this was a good friend and we tend to talk crap about each other all the time. When I showed it to him I was completely expecting that response. Plus I've learned not to really care what other people thought and do what I wanted a long time ago... and I've never really been given much crap from anyone other then close friends since then.

No, I wasn't talking about anyone's post, I was making a statement in general over observations. Lol.

I was in a ranty mood that day. Anyway, don't let my stream of thoughts disrupt you guys' topics anymore, just continue on please. If you ever see me do this, I probably just want to make a point about something sparked by the conversation at hand, persuasively, although subconsciously I knew that this post wouldn't go anywhere in a forum likely dominated by the defensive side of this matter.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1760s
Index - Back to Top