Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Is Bomberman for the PSP any good?
[Replies: 15]  [Views: 5534]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Even though I don't have a PSP, I recently bought the game, and I was wondering if it was any good or not. Has anybody played it enough to know if it's very good compared to other Bomberman games?
View user profile Send Private Message
Axis_Lyonheart516
Bomberdude

Post#2  Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit. One of the only games I found enjoyable on the PSP, anyway.

It plays just like any old-school Bomberman title, but the focus is more on 'stocking' items in your inventory (Bomb-Ups, Fire-Ups, Power Bomb, etc.), and 'equipping' them when you need them. It's a neat idea, especially since now you can equip them even when you die, but when the action picks up, it gets a little awkward having to pull out new power-ups when you're surrounded by enemies.

There are ten worlds, each with ten courses in each one of them, and the multiplayer is what you'd expect - four players with either computer players or three buddies who have a PSP (they don't have to own the game to play with you). Although I haven't actually beaten the game, I've heard that once you do, you unlock a 3D remake of the original Bomberman, which then adds another 50 levels to it. Pretty neat. :veryhappy: 

If you can find it cheap (which I'm sure you can, considering this isn't the most popular PSP game), I'd recommend picking it up. It's a good game, and one that'll actually have you playing your PSP for hours at a time.
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
Axis_Lyonheart516 wrote:
It plays just like any old-school Bomberman title, but the focus is more on 'stocking' items in your inventory (Bomb-Ups, Fire-Ups, Power Bomb, etc.), and 'equipping' them when you need them. It's a neat idea, especially since now you can equip them even when you die, but when the action picks up, it gets a little awkward having to pull out new power-ups when you're surrounded by enemies.

So it's like Bomberman on DS but suffers from the lack of a touch screen...
Axis_Lyonheart516
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
So it's like Bomberman on DS but suffers from the lack of a touch screen...

Well, I haven't really had a chance to play the single-player portion of Bomberman DS, so I really can't say... but I wouldn't doubt it.
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
The only real problem of Bomberman DS was being the easiest BMan game ever, the bosses especially were laughable (including the last one)

Wonder how the PSP one fares in that sense.
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
I found the bosses easy, but I guess that comes from being a BMO player and finding all Bomberman AI easy.

I own Bomberman PSP and I thought it was a good game. As it was already mentioned, I like the Game Sharing option.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm glad to hear the game is good. I'll be playing it as soon as I get a PSP (whenever that is)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:46 am  Reply with quote + 
Ven wrote:
I found the bosses easy, but I guess that comes from being a BMO player and finding all Bomberman AI easy.

Oh really? You ever tried this game before? It's just a clone somebody made, but it's got some of the best AI I've ever seen in a Bomberman game.

On topic, though, this is probably one of those games I'll never play unless it comes to where you can play it on a normal console. I don't buy handheld consoles.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#9  Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
I don't buy handheld consoles.

Amen...

I was very disappointed with the DS. I wasn't even going 5to buy it originally but I was talked into it... I also skipped the Game boy advance but later broke down and got a SP (though there actually were SOME good games on that one). I regret my DS, and I don't plan on getting a PSP either, not for its current price, maybe if it became super cheap.
Axis_Lyonheart516
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
I really don't have anything against handheld systems. Sure, I'll usually end up buying console games over handheld titles, but I still play them nonetheless. The only handheld consoles I'd never play are the GameBoy Color and PSP, both for lack of games and quality.

I've actually had more fun with my DS than I thought I would (considering I thought it would be just a gimmick and wouldn't last more than a year), and I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, like my PSP.
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:30 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Ven wrote:

Oh really? You ever tried this game before? It's just a clone somebody made, but it's got some of the best AI I've ever seen in a Bomberman game.

The AI is rediculously easy.

As far as handhelds go, I love my PSP. I think in the recent weeks I've used my PSP to browse the web more than I even have to play games. You can save music on it,(and also subscribe to watch TV) but when it comes down to it, the internet browser is what I like the most. Also, if I'm going on road trips (or airplane flights), I like to rent UMD movies to watch.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#12  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ven wrote:
The AI is rediculously easy.

Hm. Going back and playing that again, I guess the AI wasn't that good as I remembered. It still seems like there was a Bomberman game that the AI was better in, maybe I'm just hallucinating though.

Oh, and I don't have anything against handheld consoles, don't get me wrong. Some of my favorite games were on the GB-GBC. But I'd rather play something on a bigger screen, and multiplayer is cheaper and easier and more prominent on a normal console. Not online multiplayer, I'm talking about playing with friends/family.

And yes, I just know some nerd is going to go compare prices and prove me wrong.

But anyway, this isn't about who likes handheld consoles, or who doesn't, or who shot who, this is about Bomberman for the PSP.
abrahm125
Bomberbie

Post#13  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Hi I just found out about Xlink Kai today. I've long been a fan of bomberman, and would like to get some more than 2 player good netplay oldschool version of bomberman working.
So I was wondering if you can use the psp bomberman over xlink kai to play 4 player, and if you can how good is the connection ?
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ is the Xlink url.

Thanks in advance,
Kenny
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:50 am  Reply with quote + 
There is no Infrastructure mode on Bomberman PSP. Only ad-hoc via game sharing..
abrahm125
Bomberbie

Post#15  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:11 am  Reply with quote + 
Just I know already that xlink kai supports adhoc games, just wondering how bomberman would run if at all.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 am  Reply with quote + 
abrahm125 wrote:
Just I know already that xlink kai supports adhoc games, just wondering how bomberman would run if at all.
I have no experience with xlink, but think i understand the basic principal. Best way to know how it handles is to try, but there's a reasonable chance that like most wifi only games, they're not coded to handle the latencies of the internet, and playability will fall apart quickly.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2076s
Index - Back to Top