BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: I don't understand Christianity.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:02 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
The bible is a book to practice contradictions.

Period,

Quote:
I find it illogical to apply that line to homosexuality when the issue that's asked about is a man divorcing his wife. Okay, so Yahweh isn't down with having a man divorce his wife; I get that. But that is a very specific situation that doesn't include homosexuality as part of the issue, because it wasn't perceived as an issue, because the modern concept of homosexuality just didn't exist at that time. But even as this passage is specific, it's also very ambiguous. The Pharisees never mention what "reasons" their theoretical man would have for divorcing his wife, which may or may not include wanting to instead stay with a man as his partner. But since the reasons aren't included, it's unfair to assume what they are unless other passages state them. All in all, I only see this passage condemning divorce, and the only way it could be applied to homosexuality would be if you did some really painful Scripture-twisting.

I think you win on this argument actually, i do lose a point for overgeneralizing. My argument was that the Bible ONLY mentions one type of marriage as a posibility, but that would also be explained by lack of facing the same cultural things.

Quote:
Hardly. If it stayed up to date, we'd have more books of Scripture added to that thing over the years as more issues came up that needed to be dealt with in the Judeo-Christian worldview - it'd be constantly expanding. As it is, the content of the Bible hasn't changed since it was first put together. Our understanding of it definitely has changed, but that's a given for anything that's extensively studied.

You probably win this one too, maybe its that humanity hasn't changed (or possibly degraded, who knows)

Quote:
Well, can't argue with that, then, although I'd hope you wouldn't take it just as it is and instead respectfully question it and its implications. I know one of my friends was struggling with that line concerning crushes on movie stars and video game/anime characters.

It all depends on where you draw the line on the word lust then. Also depends on what you concider a crush as. It all comes pretty close to the lines of, what do you want from the person, if its sexual, then its lust.

So looks like I lost this round, brings up the question of weather you are this well studied only in issues like this or this issue, cause if thats the case atleast i can say that this is one of the topics of the bible i don't ordinarily look into as it doesn't have much relevence to my own life. Ah well, just another thing to debate with the people i know who are ahead of me in their walk. I still tend to think the romans topic covers all homosexuality, atleast in the since where it uses the word "unnatural".

Honestly, I tend to agree with most points of what your saying, we should let God do the judging instead of us, and accept these people into our churches, like i said before, its grace that saves you, not actions. There is a time when you need to confront other Christians about things you see in their life, but on shadily covered issues its best to let God convict, we do have the Spirit for a reason. On one last note, Romans 14:13-18 NIV http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2014:13-18;&version=31;
This is a pretty good example of why you should not be a Christian turned homosexual if all else fails, because weaker (or oddly enough more likely atleast in the worlds view) Christians will fall away. I guess if you come into Christianity as a homosexual, best thing to do is stay with your commitments tell God convicts you otherwize.

Anyway, you can probably tell that my minds kindof turning to mush right now, cause, well, its 4am right now. I really wish I could've been more of a help though, my Biblical knowledge isn't that increadable, but it is steadaly improving along with my relationship with God. I actually really enjoyed this, for some reason its rare for me to find an intellegent debate reguarding Christianity outside the church, of which the church tends to have problems in playing devels advacate (parden the serious pun). Its also kindof nice that this old forum had a good number of fairly large posts in what was only a small number of hours.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1315s
Index - Back to Top