BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: I don't understand Christianity.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:36 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Matthew 19:1-6

I find it illogical to apply that line to homosexuality when the issue that's asked about is a man divorcing his wife. Okay, so Yahweh isn't down with having a man divorce his wife; I get that. But that is a very specific situation that doesn't include homosexuality as part of the issue, because it wasn't perceived as an issue, because the modern concept of homosexuality just didn't exist at that time. But even as this passage is specific, it's also very ambiguous. The Pharisees never mention what "reasons" their theoretical man would have for divorcing his wife, which may or may not include wanting to instead stay with a man as his partner. But since the reasons aren't included, it's unfair to assume what they are unless other passages state them. All in all, I only see this passage condemning divorce, and the only way it could be applied to homosexuality would be if you did some really painful Scripture-twisting.

Quote:
Your probably right, culture has changed quite a bit, but the Bible has stayed up to date better then most books atleast.

Hardly. If it stayed up to date, we'd have more books of Scripture added to that thing over the years as more issues came up that needed to be dealt with in the Judeo-Christian worldview - it'd be constantly expanding. As it is, the content of the Bible hasn't changed since it was first put together. Our understanding of it definitely has changed, but that's a given for anything that's extensively studied.

Quote:
I really don't care weather or not, leagaly there are homosexual marriages, or civil unions, but forcing it upon the church annoys me, even weather or not it was a Christian marriage would still be debatable

I don't care if the Christian churches disallow homosexual marriages either - that's their business and between them and their god. What I do care about is if those Christians start trying to force it on non-religious institutions - the civil marriages/unions/whatever the heck you want to call them.

Quote:
Matthew 5:28

Well, can't argue with that, then, although I'd hope you wouldn't take it just as it is and instead respectfully question it and its implications. I know one of my friends was struggling with that line concerning crushes on movie stars and video game/anime characters.

Also, something I found out from that same friend: apparently the official position of her church (United Church of Canada) on that Leviticus line is that the passage has to do with the fact that having sex with a man as with a woman would have been seen as reducing a man to the level of a woman. And since women were seen in those times as property, that would have been very demeaning for a man.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1459s
Index - Back to Top