Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Bombing Quest (Old)
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
So it looks like a 3D Bomberman game at first but it's quite apparent that it's focused on being a 2D Bomberman game, using more rigid limitations and all that, open exploration elements added on top instead of a room to room method of going around. It does have this sort of, Dark Souls kind of vibe / inspiration in the aesthetics for lack of a better term.

With that though, I think there's an immediate problem. Classic Bomberman always emphasized clarity, and for good reason as you only have one life to live and your own attacks can kill you. I don't feel a strong sense of awareness when looking at this. Part of that has to do with the aesthetic look, everything being so incredibly dark with the brightest area just surrounding the main character.

I think the other part is the camera. The camera seems better focused for exploration elements with how it centers around the player, but that completely falls apart in a combat situation, which is backwards as that's when you need camera support the most. If you stand in the corner or any edge in one of these "combat rooms", half of the camera becomes useless, more if you're in a corner. The camera moving around like that also makes it harder to keep track of Bombs. As you move around, suddenly Bombs are changing position relative to where they are on the screen. Compare this to classic Bomberman, where if you place a Bomb, that Bomb remains in the exact position relative to the screen, unless interacted with.

It's not the biggest problem to have but it is a deficiency nevertheless, and will cause players additional needless struggle. You'll find there's more of a limit as to how intense you can make a situation because the player will feel less awareness, and therefore less control, as a result of both the camera and darker aesthetic. The camera needs to be centered on a battlefield, refrain from moving as much as possible, and / or perhaps the game needs to follow classic Bomberman's example and have a flatter look to it. More of an overhead approach to the camera. Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't see any use of varying height in terms of gameplay. Therefore, there's not really an advantage to this 3D look, whereas there is an advantage to the classic Bomberman look.

This darker aesthetic can look pretty in its own way but when you need the clarity that Bomberman's gameplay demands, it can feel like being in mud. It takes much longer to take in a scene and understand what is happening in actual gameplay compared to aesthetics. That's the kind of deficiency I'm referring to.

I'll leave it at that for now, just focusing on the bigger picture problems I see. Lack of clarity / awareness which is a key element to classic Bomberman.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1602s
Index - Back to Top