Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Bomberman Is An Assist Trophy
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm just surprised that he's even in the game at all. His implementation looks cool, anyway.

There has been discussion about Bomberman being a playable character here and in other venues recently so I figure I'll abuse this thread to add some thoughts I had. They're pretty rough and by no means a moveset, but there are over three decades of games from which to pull inspiration for him, so the argument I've seen around that he "wouldn't work" doesn't make sense when other, far less iconic characters, coming from games in which they maybe had one attack, have been included for years.

Abilities from Bomberman games that he could use for Smash Brothers:

* Bomb. Sets a bomb on the ground. Can be picked up and thrown. If hit, it slides forward. They are solid like they are in the original games, and can stack or bounce upon each other.
* Bomb (spawns in hand).
* Bomb Pump (Baku). Use with held bomb.
* Line Bomb. Sets a row of 5 bombs with smaller firepower.
* Bomber Throw (SB4). Pick up, carry, and throw other characters.
* Bomber Push (SB4). His Smash Attack. He slides forward when using it.
* Bomber Jet (Hero). He thrusts upwards, spewing flames below.
* Rolling Bomb (Hero). He throws a spreadshot of four tiny bombs that explode on contact.
* Land Mine (SB5). What it says on the tin.
* Remote Bomb. He's using them as an assist, but Land Mines might be better for control.
* Poison Bomb (Quest). Smaller blast, inflicts a Skull effect (effects could be things like fast, slow, low hit power, etc. modified for Smash).
* Bouncing Bomb. Thrown forward and bounces around; can be hit away but cannot be grabbed.
* Kick. Possibly a finishing combo, sends the opponent sliding away.
* Dash Shoes (Quest; also general Speed Up appearance). Move quickly forward when grounded, but with reduced friction, can then attack with a tackle (also Quest, GB, GB 2).
* Pommy. Whips him out and warps.
* Wing. Believe it or not, it's a fairly prevalent power-up, appearing in the likes of Fantacy Race, Pocket Bomberman, Quest, and so on. Bomber Jet would be better if I had to pick, though.
* Column Bomb (Saturn Bomberman Fight!!). Places a stack of three bombs instantly in front of him, creating a barrier.
* Elemental Bombs. I see that Razon had some interesting ideas in the chat when I was skimming through, so I don't feel bad about just leaving this here as it is. It speaks for itself.

Melee abilities could emphasize his Punch and Kick. In hand-to-hand combat, he could be issue slower but more powerful attacks, fitting in line with his general gimmick of timing.

Final Smash could utilize the Dangerous Bomb, the Bomber Shuttle, a Moto-Bomber, etc. He even could have MAX jump in to help with his Plasma Bombs, or even have him transform into a huge Machine Bomber (VB Panic Bomber) and shoot explosive lasers. Lots of options to start with.

I put this together in maybe about 10-15 minutes so I'm sure there are lots of more options.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1603s
Index - Back to Top