BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: A new Bomberman game is out!
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I picked up the game yesterday and I've been dipping in and out of it since then, so, er, excuse the huge pile of incoming text.

You get a battle game with offline and online capabilities (as far as I can tell!), and a single-player coliseum mode where you battle upwards of 25 CPUs, three at a time - after one is killed, another warps in, until the final opponent is a boss character (though they function just the same as you, only with better items).

There's 32 skins, extra battle stages and other gubbins to unlock, which you can get either with reward points from beating battle or coliseum games, or through microtransactions (around 90 to 140 yen). Each skin gives you a different item loadout at the start of a battle; the boss character I unlocked only had an extra Bomb-Up, but later skins have you seriously stocked-up - Max begins with seven Fire Ups, six Bomb-Ups and Penetration Bombs!
For the record, Max, the NES sprite and the TurboGrafx-16 homage (named Cyborg #0898) are the only 'legacy' skins as far as I can tell, the rest are just Bombermen in costumes. You'd think they could save the trouble of hiring a character designer by ganking old designs, but what do I know about pandering?

It's a pretty tiny game, but it's not a bad package. What kills it is the god-awful d-pad. It's like cranking a bloody gearstick! I sincerely have no idea how it's meant to be comfortably used - it doesn't respond to your thumb well at all, and often leaves you wandering in random directions. It's most responsive when you're jamming your thumb right into the screen, but then you're sweating all over your iPad and making it even more unpredictable. I get the most accurate input by using my index finger, but you can't quickly change directions that way. Long story short, I've killed myself darn near every match with it because I either go somewhere I don't want to or can barely get myself to move in time.

It's an absolute nightmare, and I did everything to try and make it work - I washed my hands, I wore gloves, I trimmed my nails - I even got gamepad recognition on my iPad in the hopes this game would accept it. It doesn't. You just gotta get used to it.
It's a crying shame, because the other Bomberman games, while not perfectly, certainly had d-pads that were miles more sensible. 100 Man Battle and Volcano Party used a sliding thumbpad in a circle (see this screenshot), and although it was bit mushy, it was a lot more comfortable and easier to work with. I came away from this game with my left hand snarled up like a dog chewed it, I was fighting that d-pad so much.

The game's only 4 days old, so there's a chance they'll patch some sense into the game. It may be nothing special, but it's not a bad game (it's got better content and less BS than 100 Man Battle, that's for sure), and it'd be a sensible thing to bring over to our shores if Konami ever actually did that sort of thing.
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1259s
Index - Back to Top