BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Could We Potentially Start a Bomberman Role Play?
[Replies: 7]  [Views: 3360]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Fan Fiction

BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 am  Reply with quote + 
So Saphiria, SpazzyRooey, and I were talking in the chat the other day about the possibility of starting a roleplay. I know this was attempted before (I think this would count as an attempt) but it didn't appear to be very well executed, to say the least. I'm curious to know how many people are interested in a potential Bomberman RP, or are interested in RPing in general. I would very much like to start one, though I acknowledge that it would probably be pretty quiet due to general forum inactivity. But I'm fine with that, so long as the RP doesn't "die".

For those who are interested, what kind of universe would you want it to be set in? What I mean is basically what kind of lore/background would you want it to have? The Jetters universe, for instance, is quite different from the B64/TSA universe both in background lore and in the general capabilities/handling of Bombers. Would people prefer something that takes after an official story or something more "original"?

Additionally, what kind of characters would you be interested in allowing to participate? Simply limit it to official characters or allow fan characters to also participate? Which characters would people want to RP as, anyways?

I suppose I could have made this into a poll, but I'm interested in hearing a more detailed response as to why certain people want what.

Personally, I prefer something that takes after the B64/TSA universe, as that is what I'm most familiar with. I don't mind fan characters as long as they're within reason of some sort. I'd love to RP as one of the Elemental Knights, especially as I spent a lot of time and effort working towards characterizing and building a bio for them as apart of my Bomberman RPG. I also spent some time working on the antagonists of B64 and the Four Commanders of Bomberman Quest and would enjoy them as well. Baelfael, Zoniha, and Regulus are probably at the top of my list for who I'd enjoy playing as, as I feel I put more effort into them compared to any other Knight.

How do others feel?
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Wow, I read through most of that mountain of 3000+ chat messages (quite an undertaking) and saw I was mentioned once or twice.

I figured I'd let you know that I wouldn't be very interested in taking part in any kind of RP.

Though I've shown interested in creating RP and Fan-fiction/art way in the past (for anyone that might remember that, ha ha) it's something I'm not interested in anymore from the creation aspect. My talents are weak and I don't like being judged personally, but all the same i did enjoy seeing what people had to say about my work (thus part of why I made it back then) the same as I like seeing what people say about others. But it's like I'm always seeing things from a 3rd person perspective to me. It's hard to explain. I don't take much people say to heart, but I find varying opinions interesting to read. My personal thoughts on matters can vary greatly and I don't feel a need to get in heated arguments with people that disagree with me. So I calmly withdraw from any discussion that turns hostile.

Realizing I got the same enjoyment from discussion of others works as my own, i feel creating my own work is just more then it's worth to me. I'm a very unmotivated person, perhaps even more-so then you guys can claim to be at times. ha ha!

I still can really enjoy seeing what other people do though, so if you guys get this off the ground I may be able to amuse myself seeing what you guys come up with.

From my perspective of our forum and its members though... honestly
I don't see you having a very strong foundation of input on a project like this. I think of those of you that can really create cool stories/characters/backgrounds and such, most of you seem too busy to really commit to this where it would proceed at a healthy rate. And those of you that are willing to take part most heavily I can see having very conflicting ideas on how to go about it and what the project will be all about.

Everyone's always going on about how busy they are with stuff and it's so rare I see much amounting from it all. You guys''ll surprise me every so often with something awesome I'll be one of the first people to see. (and no disgust or anything like that is even intended by this statement, lol) I've seen what you guys can do now and again, we've got some talented people here and I know these projects you all work on do take a lot of time and effort. Things I don't have or don't have the patience or motivation to put forth, thus why I don't partake much/at all.

I am... For the most part, merely an observer here, and I've been here a looooong time and enjoy watching what you all do and interacting when appropriate. So, though I am certainly acknowledged and recognized by everyone here, my presence can seem weak.

~~~~~

So yeah..... I've gone off on quite a tangent here and i apologize for filling your thread's 2nd post with my rantings.

If you get some committed people on board and you can all get the ball rolling without banging heads too much I'll be interested to see what you all do from my comfortable front row seat!
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Wow, I read through most of that mountain of 3000+ chat messages (quite an undertaking) and saw I was mentioned once or twice.

Oh yeah, I hope you enjoyed us just screwing around in there.

Regulus 777 wrote:
I figured I'd let you know that I wouldn't be very interested in taking part in any kind of RP.

A shame really, but I can't force you and I don't think it's even possible to force yourself to truly change how you feel about something.

In my own experience, it's better to see someone go than watch them constantly try and cling to something like an RP when they really don't want to. I remember seeing lazy posts of one, maybe two lines of text from this one person before he left this Dungeon Keeper forum RP. It was hilarious and sad that the summaries we had at the end of every post were longer than his actual posts. Frankly, I'm glad he left when he did rather than stick around to make such effortless posts.

But that just goes to show that sometimes it's important to know to let things go for the sake of everyone else. If you feel you wouldn't be interested, don't force yourself to take part. I'm fine with that decision.

Regulus 777 wrote:
Though I've shown interested in creating RP and Fan-fiction/art way in the past (for anyone that might remember that, ha ha) it's something I'm not interested in anymore from the creation aspect.

Would this be something I'd be possible of remembering? Judging by your choice of words, probably not.

I definitely know how you can lose interest in RPing from a creation aspect. As both a GM and a writer who focuses on story, I know of the differences between creating a story where every character is controlled by someone different and when you ultimately control every character's actions. Of course, a lot of things depend on the type of story and RP we have going, but nevertheless, I think you get what I mean when I say I understand that creating and participating in an RP has its own very unique feel to it. So it's possible to get tired of an RP without losing the desire to make any traditional story.

Regulus 777 wrote:
My talents are weak and I don't like being judged personally, but all the same i did enjoy seeing what people had to say about my work (thus part of why I made it back then) the same as I like seeing what people say about others. But it's like I'm always seeing things from a 3rd person perspective to me. It's hard to explain. I don't take much people say to heart, but I find varying opinions interesting to read. My personal thoughts on matters can vary greatly and I don't feel a need to get in heated arguments with people that disagree with me. So I calmly withdraw from any discussion that turns hostile.

Yeah, I see what you mean, by that last bit especially. I've seen a large range of people come through and pass by in my RPing experience. Some people are limited in their ability to understand perspective, believing certain things to be absolute. Just because a character has found justification within their own mind doesn't make them correct absolutely, nor does it necessarily mean the creator holds the same perspective. Others, however, don't realize this, and this is how arguments start.

Personally, I have difficulty when I find that a character's reasoning doesn't even make as much sense from even their own mind or within the circumstances. Like the creator is making up an excuse to get them to perform a certain action while trying to stay in character. But that's something different and I feel I shouldn't get too far into that now.

Regulus 777 wrote:
From my perspective of our forum and its members though... honestly
I don't see you having a very strong foundation of input on a project like this. I think of those of you that can really create cool stories/characters/backgrounds and such, most of you seem too busy to really commit to this where it would proceed at a healthy rate. And those of you that are willing to take part most heavily I can see having very conflicting ideas on how to go about it and what the project will be all about.

Yeah, I'm aware of the activity problem, as you would know from reading the chat messages. But to be honest, I just want to at least try it to see how far I can take things. The Dungeon Keeper RP I mentioned is also very quiet with only a handful of participants, and even fewer that are actively committed.

But due to it being very small, it's difficult to keep things active. I've seen a few other forums from time to time that are much more active and support a larger RP section, but I knew that if you tried that kind of management with a quiet place like Keeper Klan or even more so like BombermanBoard, everything would just flop over and die in a big (or small?) mess. You need to change your tactics and adapt to allow it to survive. You have less resources to utilize, and that makes things difficult. Yet, somehow that Dungeon Keeper RP has kept going. It seems like I've been the life of it since even before I became GM, but nevertheless...

I wouldn't want to ever attempt an idea like the one SpazzyRooey suggested in the chat, where we allow people to just create a new RP thread and idea whenever they want to or whenever they got a new and exciting idea. Anyone whose been here for a while knows the forum just lacks the proper support for such an idea. There are a number of problems with that idea that I'd prefer not to get into unless necessary.

No, we'd have to keep things small. We should probably keep it to one RP at any given time, or perhaps for all time if that first RP ends up being "successful" in some way, shape or form. That's probably the best chance at keeping it within a healthy state.

Naturally, there should be a GM of some kind to manage the story and rules and all that to prevent it from falling into chaos through disputes. Someone who has experience with handling smaller RPs. Someone who has experience with the creation of stories, characters, and with the knowledge required to keep everything reasonably and efficiently flexible. Someone young, handsome, and sexy. Someone whose username begins with "DarkFire" and ends with "4114".

As far as business goes, my schedule is kind of weird. Though I am quite busy, practically all of my work is nothing that needs to get done any particular day, so long as it gets done. I have no real deadline of any sort, at least not a strict one in any sense of the word. There's no one breathing down my neck to get work done aside from maybe my mom but I know how to deal with her. Really, it's all this that allows me to be very flexible about my schedule, being very busy yet at the same time, always available.

Regulus 777 wrote:
I am... For the most part, merely an observer here, and I've been here a looooong time and enjoy watching what you all do and interacting when appropriate. So, though I am certainly acknowledged and recognized by everyone here, my presence can seem weak.

Yeah, you have been here for a very long time. You old, old person you.

Regulus 777 wrote:
So yeah..... I've gone off on quite a tangent here and i apologize for filling your thread's 2nd post with my rantings.

Rantings? I took none of it as such!

Regulus 777 wrote:
If you get some committed people on board and you can all get the ball rolling without banging heads too much I'll be interested to see what you all do from my comfortable front row seat!

Hopefully so. But that may just be naive optimism. I really have no idea anymore. Perspective, I guess.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'll also pass, as "serious" forum RP is outside my interests. Also I'm not actually all that familiar with Bomberman lore, specially the N64 stuff.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#5  Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 am  Reply with quote + 
Thank you for your quick and courteous reply Darkfire. It seems you understand my point of view quite well.

It makes it all the easier to resist any minor temptations that may come along... ha ha.

I do like your reference about people that force themselves. I understand it completely and have seen it before a few times in the past.

Quote:
Would this be something I'd be possible of remembering? Judging by your choice of words, probably not.

My interest in RP and Fanfics were before your time here. If you're interested for your own fun/research purposes to see some of it, you can certainly PM me. Some of my artsy posts can be found in the related sub-forum a few pages down though.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to ever attempt an idea like the one SpazzyRooey suggested in the chat, where we allow people to just create a new RP thread and idea whenever they want to or whenever they got a new and exciting idea. Anyone whose been here for a while knows the forum just lacks the proper support for such an idea. There are a number of problems with that idea that I'd prefer not to get into unless necessary.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said so far about how to go about it. Splitting the RP section would not work well. There's not enough support to hold together both a serious and a silly RP, but my whole point was that I don't think the two sides will band together for greater progress either.

If you guys want to surprise me that would be great. I'd still like to see what you can do!

But, I think the discussion between you and Rooey was enough for me to see that the ideas were too conflicting to succeed as a team.

Quote:
As far as business goes, my schedule is kind of weird. Though I am quite busy, practically all of my work is nothing that needs to get done any particular day, so long as it gets done. I have no real deadline of any sort, at least not a strict one in any sense of the word. There's no one breathing down my neck to get work done aside from maybe my mom but I know how to deal with her. Really, it's all this that allows me to be very flexible about my schedule, being very busy yet at the same time, always available.

What people decide to spend their time on is their own business.
What I think is important is whether or not they enjoyed the time they spent. So even if the project got off the ground and collapsed half-way through maybe it would inspire the few that remained to push their own ideas and make something of their own as an aftermath. Even if they don't do as much as that afterwords, if they were happy with what was accomplished, how is it wasted time? (I'm only speaking for those that would push that point. You seem to be avoiding that conclusion overall.)

Quote:
Hopefully so. But that may just be naive optimism. I really have no idea anymore. Perspective, I guess.

Ha, ha. Well my last few sentences were meant as happy encouragement but it seems you saw through it quite easily!

All my praise for you guys was quite real though.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:14 am  Reply with quote + 
Sorry being so late with my post on this topic and also sorry to hear that some people won't join, but I respect the reasons and it's very awesome to know about the reasons, not many people are blowing in their true thoughts.

For me it would be a nice change of pace here, though as DarkFire4114 said we should take slow steps with it instead of booming in 1000 threads. To be honest though I played some of the Bomberman games (since Germany is SO picky with game releases) I really felt more comfortable in the Bomberman Jetters Universe setting, it gave me a very close look into all kinds of races, and I'm a huge fan of Sci-Fi stuff anyway. The story was pretty deep and dark if I think about the Animated Series instead of the games, and I really loved all characters that were in it.

But like it was stated before it's hard to find a good conclusion of how we can solve certain problems like "Which Universe should be picked up?" and "How many people are really interested?". Thanks to my bad memory I have problems to remember some parts that were discussed already, so excuse me if I start to repeat something that was already solved.

I really don't know how many people would like to join or what universe they might prefer, so I would say we should do some kind of poll to make it easier to see who has interest in joining the RP section and which universe is more popular, if there's the option to vote for 2 things.
SpazzyRooey
Bomberbie

Post#7  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sorry but, this may sound selfish but I'm not gonna be a part of the roleplays if this is how they will be. I'm not very experienced with the bomberman universe, only being interested in the series as a whole for the past two months. I've only played Bomberman94 an Super Bomberman 5, so I dont have the slightest idea on the plot.

I'd say more reasons but I honestly don't feel like being shot down for my opinion, again.

[Current avatar sprites ripped by this forums own Jacob, animated by me~ Check his sprites out THEY ARE SWEET]
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#8  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
While this would be an excellent idea... sadly I am already in way too many roleplays. I enjoy roleplaying. I really do.

Bomberman characters... I don't know, I don't know enough of them in order to roleplay. And I would not feel comfortable if I couldn't make that character sound true to itself.

So yeah, even if it happens I will not join.. I might consider it later. But probably I will not spend too much time there.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Fan Fiction All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2125s
Index - Back to Top