BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Bomberman 64 HD Remix for computer and xbox 360
ScreenOfDeath
Bombertrainee

Post#5  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hey,

yes ! Finally a repley :-)

I know these problems with the internet..

So I hope you will be done in a few days, so we can start this project
and resurrect Bomberman 64 !

First an answer to your question:

YES ! Its possible to import high poly models -> but its better if the model are in
Direct X File format - because irrlicht support animation of it.
( Or orge.mesh - but I dont like it )
Or 3ds - for static meshs.
I dont have any high poly meshs - but its not necessary - it shall be a remake of that good old game. And of course, new things.

Pls look at http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features/ for the irrlicht features!

---
I´ve got some little problems ... the "basics" aren´t done yet,
because Im doing other stuff on this project too at the same time - so other things
arent done but something new is added...

Like : Im starting one thing, it works, and start another thing, but there are quiet
finished things - its always an improvement if Im going back to that thing.
(I dont know how I shall translate it.)

Actually Im working on design a level and how to cooking it well (done) :-)
-> Its for the Physic engine, which needs to cook a model .. I will explain it if you scroll down.

So: I will tell you a little about my project "features" so far:

Summarized in general:

Spoiler:
Bomberman ( and each entity ) can throw bombs, kick bombs, ( at look direction )
and stop them while there are rolling ( but throwing).
He cant move if he falls (gravity), is invinceble - touched an explosion [or enemy or is confused ... not implement yet], or touched an explosion from a bomb.

There are basic bombs, remote bombs, red bombs and remote red bombs with
different style of explosion - remote bombs can be triggered, but its not coded yet.

The bombs can explode - after finished the "explosion time" or touched an other
explosion - So every bomb explodes a little bit delayed after it touched an explosion,
like in the B64 game. Bomb GrowUp is disabled and doesn´t work anymore. ( Code update )

Still buggy because read above (Level design - no time for other things):
Bomb "jumps" - If you throw a bomb over an other bomb, it shall be keep his
velocity - and move on - while the first touched bomb isn´t moving. (Works often)
But it still need much improvement of that behaivior and theres something that need more to be coded.

Items are also there - remote bombs, fire up, bomb up, heart, red bombs, remote red bombs. They can be collected, - and plays a collect animation and increased the amout of the item.

And a few sprite animations. smoke and a collect animation.

LEVEL:
Spoiler:
This level was dumped by an emulator - in the vrml format. I´ve done it only for the screenshot - because I´ve no loss(?) on designing a level - but now I have a plan.

I can use the dumped level for my game :-)
BUT:

The designers of that level are lazy - ( and old technogly ) - they defined each triangle
- and arent using an extrude "process". Its okay and it works fine to display - BUT
my Physx TriangleMesh cant deal with it well - because there are many vertices left -
and the cooker needs a "hole free" (each vertices must be used) modell. So I cant use that level mesh for the cooking procedure - ( And it would be (undetectable for very small levels or fast computers) slower, because the whole modell will be checked if an actor touched it.

And there are creating for each triangle a meshbuffer (for only 1 triangle!) - which also slow downs the physic ( and renderer) - and thus the whole game.

So, - I dont want to design this level and each level again - So I found a way to solve this problem:

I´m designing with a plane (modell) only the important things - and I will export some buildings to use them again ( which is cookable and optimized ( less triangles as possible) )
- So that will take much time, but its the best way the solve this problem and save a lot of
resources and memory - performance.

Thats the reason because I´m not coding at the moment - and, I´m at the
highschool and have the exam periode.(I guess this school form is similar in germany) :-(

Code - things:
Spoiler:

The whole project is coded in C++ -
almost everything is object-oriented. :-)

The loaders are using the XML file format.

There are one main loader - which preloads everything for faster access.
And there are one sprite Manager - for the sprite animations.
And Im currently working on a level loader - which loads the map(or level) and the cooked
mesh together ( or cooking it on the fly for the development )- 60% done.

Ah, two things btw:

I must improve the "ground detection of entitys" - maybe a raycast is a better than a trigger shape.

I must implement a fixed substepper of physx because when the pc slows down the physics are sometimes very buggy - ( i know why and thats the solution of that problem )
( And other timing stuff too, but other things are more important now )

Uhhh...

And there are still so much to tell - if you arent scared about it :-)

I´m really looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

ScreenOfDeath
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1631s
Index - Back to Top