From Topic: Wii Kirby Game
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#35  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Meh, I still disagree.

I'm okay with that ;)

Soniti 254 wrote:
The overall game still has to look and feel like a game in the other series. Which I believe Epic Yarn does have
Duke Serkol wrote:
Are you aware that it is not even possible to die in Epic Yarn? It plays nothing like a Kirby game and it's look/style is uniquely its own (heck, I'd say it resembles Yoshi's Story more than it does Kirby).

Seeing as I haven't played it, no I'm not. Although most Kirby games aren't typically very difficult anyway.

Not very difficult yeah, but this one is literally impossible to lose (unless your patience runs out of course).

Soniti 254 wrote:
And I insist that the ability isn't vital enough to be part of his "identity." Mega Man Legends didn't have copy weapons in the game at all, or even Robot Masters/Mavericks at all, but it still looked and felt like a Mega Man game.

Not at all to me. Legends is a good game, but it was a completely separate entity only borrowing names and the main character design from Megaman.

fireball87 wrote:
I just find it funny that mario is being used in this argument, as he is about the first to be in a reskin game

You mean Super Mario Bros 2 USA? Yeah, that one is of course not an actual Mario game, but rather one on which Mario was slapped on. Not that I dislike Mario2, quite the contrary, but it didn't really seem necessary, the game could stand on its own merits... and who knows, maybe today Nintendo would have one more franchise.

fireball87 wrote:
he's seen numerous changes throughout the series, especially from the 2d to 3d jump.

That's true, but it's going back to its roots fortunately. I actually think it was a big mistake to make Mario a melee fighter in 64. I'm glad all those punches and kicks have been taken away. It's also a good thing that he no longer has that much health in Galaxy (unless he gets a mushroom which doubles it... just as mushrooms did in SMB, except without resizing him, sadly).

fireball87 wrote:
He's also been in a ton of games that could've been the same without him, ala dr mario and mario kart.

Yeah, but those aren't really Mario games, they are games in which Mario makes an appearence and he gets the title to boost sales. Like you said, Mario Kart could work just as well without having Mario in it. Shells could be easily replaced by, say, missiles as demonstrated in Diddy Kong Racing.
And to be honest I'm rather tired of these Mario "Random Activity" thing Nintendo has going on. Next thing you know we'll have Mario Finances, Mario Newsreporter and Mario Accountant. Especially since they are rapidly running out of sports.

Really, lots of people complain that Nintendo can't seem to come up with new franchises... it's not that they can't come up with new ideas, they just keep getting those absorbed in existing franchises.
Naturally then hardcore fans most often reject these completely different games as foreign bodies and the potential new franchise dissolves within the old one, often doing it harm in the process (like Starfox Adventures did to Starfox).
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1170s
Index - Back to Top