Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Wii Kirby Game
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#32  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:
Mario could not survive dropping off a platform in Donkey Kong. Would you like them to go back to that?
The copy ability defines Kirby, without it he has no identity.

That's not remotely the same thing.

It certainly looks like it to me. Mario's main characteristic has always been that of being good at jumping, but in his very first game, he was unable to survive the slightest fall and could not use his jumps to harm enemies.
Similarly, Kirby's defining tract has been since his second game that of taking enemy abilities, whereas in his first game he could only use them as projectiles.

Meh, I still disagree. Even the first game still looked, felt, and played like a Kirby game, and thus I don't think his copy ability is that vital of a competent. It only seems that way because it's been expanded upon on nearly every other game. That's not to say I wouldn't disappointed by the lack of the ability, but if the rest of the game made up for it, I wouldn't mind that much after a while.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
he's still recognizably and undoubtedly Kirby even without the copy ability. It's a signature ability, yes, but not a part of his identity.

Not really. That'd be the same as hacking Mario's sprite over Link and labeling a Zelda game Legend of Super Mario. Videogame characters are not just their appearances.

Well yeah, but that's not what we're talking about. The overall game still has to look and feel like a game in the other series. Which I believe Epic Yarn does have (I'm going to stress again that I haven't played it, so it's based near entirely on screenshots and trailers that I have seen). Again, Devil May Cry 2 started as an entirely different game unrelated to first, but the end product is without a doubt a Devil May Cry game in look, feel, and of course playstyle.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
although he had copy abilities to use in Milky Way Wishes, they worked completely differently from the norm and could not obtain them (excluding limited use ones) from enemies. And Canvas Curse also had Copy Abilities work completely differently then usual.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, it's exactly my point: you can innovate Kirby without having him lose his identity.

And I insist that the ability isn't vital enough to be part of his "identity." Mega Man Legends didn't have copy weapons in the game at all, or even Robot Masters/Mavericks at all, but it still looked and felt like a Mega Man game.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Perhaps, but it does still look like and resemble a Kirby game. I'd assume it'd have a similar feeling while playing the game too. While your Star Fox Adventures example is a good example of how not to slap a character onto a game, there are some that do actually work.

Are you aware that it is not even possible to die in Epic Yarn? It plays nothing like a Kirby game and it's look/style is uniquely its own (heck, I'd say it resembles Yoshi's Story more than it does Kirby).

Seeing as I haven't played it, no I'm not. Although most Kirby games aren't typically very difficult anyway. You can say the same thing for other spinoffs as well though.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1359s
Index - Back to Top