Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Caution to PS3 players - Yellow Light of Death
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:49 am  Reply with quote + 
After about 3 years of the owning and playing my PlayStation 3, about a week ago I ran into a problem. As soon as I turn it on, the system tells me that the hard drive's file system has been corrupted and needs to be restored. I was pretty PO'ed about it, but I figured that since I backed up most of my PS3 data (and I still had my PS2/1 memory cards in tact), I didn't think of it as too much of a big deal. So I let it do its thing until it finished. Only it asks me to restore my hard drive again because the "file system has been corrupted." It does not matter how many times I repeat the process, it just a vicious circle.

Therefore, I believe my PS3 is suffering from the effects of the "Yellow Light of Death." If you're unfamiliar with the YLoD, it's pretty much the PS3 version of the Xbox 360's infamous "Red Ring of Death" problem. In fact, it's more or less the same exact problem. It has something to do with the soldering of the motherboard overheating due to a design flaw to the console. The problem occurs regardless of the model (except possibly the Slim model, but it's too new to tell right now if they don't suffer from the problem). Sony's response to the matter is basically ignoring the issue; if you're out of the 1 year warranty (and more then likely, you are) they offer a "solution" in that for $150 plus tax, Sony can send you a new console with only a 90 day warranty. This article covers this in greater detail then I do.

So needless to say, I'm going to have to wait awhile before I play any more PS3 games. Thankfully, my bro still had both of our PS2s so I'm burrowing one for a while. I find it amusing that the more advanced the technology, the crappier it lasts. You'd expect after shelling at least $300, it'd be built to actually last.

Anyway, if you have a PS3, be warned of this. Remember, it's indiscriminate and doesn't just affect one particular model of PS3. Your console could be on it's last breath and you won't even know it. Back up whatever saves you can as frequently as possible and spread the word if you can.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1352s
Index - Back to Top