Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Inafune quits Capcom
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#42  Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
sounds to me like every Megaman related thing put out by Capcom HAS to be canon no matter what, in your mindset. Like there's just no possible way that it couldn't be in the slightest despite any possible argument.

I suppose you'd like to inform us all about the great significance of Megaman Soccer and Megaman Battle and Chase as well?

I'd say there's quite a big difference between two games in which Megaman fights Wily and his robots and two in which he challenges them to soccer and racing.
Even so, while Soccer's plot was limited to an intro sequence having no ending and no backstory for any of the characters (and thus making it inconsequential concerning storyline and canon), Battle and Chase is quite a different matter. In Battle & Chase each character has motives to be in the race and each have their own ending. Some of these endings are even referenced in the biography cards collected in Megaman & Bass, which would indicate the game is canon. Also it's worth noting that Battle & Chase had a considerably larger amount of dialogue in the Japanese version. The English release cut out two supporting characters entirely (Plum and Rippot/Report).

Regulus 777 wrote:
Sometimes companies do make something as a spin off or just for fan service with no original intent of having it canon. Perhaps after the fact they come up with ways to link it together be it for fun or just trying to please people like you amongst the fan base, but it's very possible that somebody at Capcom just said one day, "Hey! Wouldn't Rockman fans just love a Rockman fighting game? Let's make one. Throw in lots of characters! Let's make Protoman Bass etc. playable. It'll make us a lot of money!" and they may have come up with an interesting story for it but was it really intended to be connected? It seems like it was all connected as an afterthought to me.

I dunno, that's just my opinion.

You'll agree that I'm quite into this stuff right? Then isn't it reasonable to believe that I would have heard it if Capcom's official storyline guides threw the Power games into the non-canon bunch together with Marvel VS. Capcom and Cannon Spike? I'm pretty sure I would know.

Regulus 777 wrote:
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dismiss your opinion or anything here. You've provided a great argument but I don't think continuing this discussion is really gonna do much else for us...

If I'm wrong then whatevs. Feel free to continue but I've been watching you guys go back and forth for awhile now and it just seems like you've hit a dead end. Neither of you seem like you're gonna budge.
Well, currently the only things we were disagreeing about was whether the Power games are canon and if a return of Duo is "crazy talk" or not (which I think is funny since this is a series that introduced robots from space and provided a scientific explanation for ghosts).
If Soniti is fed up with it, I'm okay with dropping the subject.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm just saying that, since it isn't played anything like the original games at all, I'd take the game's story very lightly and I wouldn't really consider what happens in these games as canon. If anything, I'd say that maybe what's revealed in the endings are canon, but not nessicarly the rest of the game itself.

And I honestly don't see why. It's not like the regular games are uber-realistic and this one makes no sense in that context. Megaman has always been about a robot that can respawn by picking up replicas of his own head. Why would skipping the stages and keeping only the boss fights matter towards whether the game is canon or not?

Ah well, in the end it's not really up to us. Capcom has never marked these games as non-canon (unlike others I already mentioned).

Soniti 254 wrote:
I haven't played those games in a long time, so my apologies on missing those bits on the endings.

No problem ^_^

Soniti 254 wrote:
Still, did we really need to know when Light decided to make X?

Maybe not but it helps rule out the idea that Bass stole the plans for X in MM7, it emphasizes the differences between the humanoid robots of the classic series (Megaman, Bass, the robot masters) and the Reploids, as well as explaining the reasoning behind Light's decision to create a robot capable of self determination (so that people like Wily could not reprogram them for evil).

Soniti 254 wrote:
Was it really nessicary to reveal that Proto Man has error that will eventually kill him?

Many fans want to know what happened to classic characters before the X series came along (see "Cataclysm theories"). So far Protoman is the only one to have something that can pass as a concrete answer in the form of that ending.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Did Wily have to tell Bass he was planning on making a robot even more powerful than him (Zero)?

The point isn't that he's telling Bass, rather it is that we get to hear from Wily's mouth that he's started work on Zero and that other project.

Soniti 254 wrote:
No, but I don't think the games' plot made much of an impact on the MM storyline, if at all. I also doubt that a lot of Mega Man fans played it for the plot in the first place.

Even if that was the case, the plot in those games still beats the heaten up MM4-5-6 soup we got in 9 and 10. That's all I'm saying.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm not the biggest Zelda fan ever, so I wouldn't know much about these games.

Thought so, like I said, no problem :happy: 

Soniti 254 wrote:
If they all are trully connected as you say (I'm not dismissing what you say, you seem to know more then I do on this), then the connections these games do have isn't really apparent, which is probably why I simply think of them as not being connected

I've been drawing connections between Zelda games since 1991, so yeah... I'm kind of into that too :wink: 
There are some that appear to be scarcely, if at all, connected to others. Case in point the Oracle games. Some people believe they are connected to ALttP and LA. Others believe it's LA alone and not ALttP and others still believe they are connected to LoZ and AoL. Them Oracle games are pretty crazy that way. In general the placement of most 2D games in relation to the other games in the series is up to debate, but there really is no reason to doubt their canon validity.

Soniti 254 wrote:
This pretty much wraps how I feel on the matter as well. I only started getting into this indepth conversation with him because I found this to be thoughtful, insightful, and amusing (in a good way).

Yup, debating videogame storylines should be done responsibly and for fun only :veryhappy: 
All too often people start large flamewars over subjects that should be solely for entertainment, unfortunately.
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1797s
Index - Back to Top