BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Inafune quits Capcom
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
These games were never about the story, they were about the gameplay.

Says you. To me, it's both. And if you consider that they released several guide books specifically for the plots of the various Megaman series it's clearly not just my opinion.

All I meant was that, in general, the story in Mega Man is never really the strong focus of the games. The story is really just the excuse that the game exists; that's why every classic Mega Man game is pretty much "Wily's up to no good again and he must be stopped." Not at all unlike the classic Sonic games.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:
He'd even gone and said "There won't be a Megaman X9" essentially giving X fans the middle finger.

If other X fans are like me, they'd probably respond with a sigh of relief.

*lol* Maybe so yeah, I actually consider X7 to be the worst Megaman game (of any series) ever made. But that doesn't mean they can't (and shouldn't) do more good X games like they used to.

Didn't mean to put it out like that. What I meant is that, at this point, the Mega Man X story is pretty much beyond help, and any effort they'd make to it just add more questions and problems rather then answers. It's been that way since X6. I'd play an X9 as long as it doesn't end up like X7.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Honestly, if you're really that concerned about the story for the franchise, it's probably better off that there isn't a X9. As much as I liked the X series (minus 7), there were more holes in the series' plot then there are in Swiss cheese. With each new entry, it only added more plotholes, rather then filling them (they stopped explaining how Sigma keeps coming back a long time ago, Zero was revived not once but twice throughout the games, and even Vile was revived in X8 purely as fan service).

Yeah, storyline wise they really screwed up with the games past 5 (X6 and onward). What they should do is entrust the story to someone serious that understands what's happened so far (the right and the wrong) and let this guy work on it without interference (the reason the storyline got screwed up was because Inafune meant for it to end with X5 and Capcom decided to keep going without bothering to properly find a way to do so or even just consult him on how to go about it).

I can generally agree with this, but Capcom doesn't exactly have a good record for telling good saga based stories. On their own, ignoring the events that happened beforehand, the stories of each game isn't that bad, but when put together it's a giant mess. The only real way to make the X storyline better is to reboot it, or continue the Maverick Hunter X project and fix any plotholes and such, and that isn't gonna happen. It doesn't matter if the later chapters are written better then the previous ones, unless the whole book is written better, it's not going to be a very good read.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Although... those points you raised well, they aren't all real issues. Sigma's continued return doesn't need explaining since he can exist as a virus. Rather his sudden inability to return does (supposedly it's because the copy reploids on the moon backstabbed him, but it's not clear at all). Vile in X8 was rebuilt like he was in X3, I see no problem there (rahter in his characterization towards X). But yeah, turning Zero into Kenny was retarded.

So you didn't find it strange that Sigma always has a similar appearance in each game? Somebody or something must keep making a new body for him, cause I really doubt Sigma just happens to have a ton of spare bodies for him to use in his basement somewhere. At least in X2, 3, and 6 it was explained that a villain purposely rebuilt him (even then in X6 he literally came out of nowhere). X4, 5, or even 8 (I can only assume 7 is the same case, seeing as I didn't finish it and probably never will) didn't even as much as bother to explain that.

Who rebuilt Vile again and why was he rebuilt in first place?

Or how does Dr. Light's hologram know of Zero or Ayla or how does he seem to make more suits of armor for X to use, despite being dead for over a hundred years, or how it suddenly developed some kind of personality by X5 (maybe even earlier, I don't remember)? These things never bothered you?

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
(how are they going to make a game like that work?). Also, I can only foresee this having even more plotholes then before (why are characters that were introduced in X4 (Iris) and X5 (Ayla, Signes) in what appears to be in classic Mega Man universe?).

Possibly, but from what I've seen so far a lot of attention is being put in setting and character background.
How the characters from the classic series (except Duo) will appear in the game is yet to be explained (I'm hoping time travel), but as for Iris, the X and Zero that users will play as will actually be a freaking clone army (this can be alternatively lame or unbelievably awesome, depending on how they play their cards), so I assume Iris (and Colonel because it seems he'll be in as well) will too be copies.
Like I was saying, lot's of attention is being igven to character's background. The Duo copies (he's a playable character too) are not just being randomly thrown in, they actually explained all of his backstory (robot from space etc.)

They explained the ability to play as certain characters as being clones? That's just so ridiculously cliched and overused. Suppose it's the only one that works without creating more questions, but still...

Duke Serkol wrote:
DarkFire4114 wrote:
Plot was changed a bit, based on what I saw about that "Day of Sigma" how Cane apparently died, yet he was alive in the original X2 and stuff.

Yeah just another random change that only serves to piss off the fans...

Again, Dr. Cain wasn't a very important character anyway. I completely forget about his existence when I play the games until I see him. Besides, in the remake, the guy was clearly on life support and on the verge of death. Even if he wasn't killed in the explosion, I doubt he'd be alive by the time X2 takes place.

EDIT: Fixed a silly error on my half.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1556s
Index - Back to Top