Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: DUNGEONS & BOMBERS
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#16  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hmm... I think that MP should be something different. It's been a long time since I played an actual game of D&D, and even then I only played maybe two or three times, but I almost think that there was no MP, and that spells had different requirements to be cast. But I kind of think, for simplicity's sake, and since this is Bomberman, we might just want to use MP anyway.

So MP would be used for casting spells.
We might want something like SP (strength points? special points?) for more physical techniques.
I guess some more powerful bombs may require MP in order to prevent abuse?

Due to the nature of the game, I think the idea of chi and resevoirs would fit in nicely.

As for Pile Bombs, I like the idea of charging the attack. The player could stand there, and after one turn perhaps a number would appear over his/her head (1), and on each turn that number would increase until it got to four and the attack was unleashed (four Pile Bombs tossed... in a pile). But the player could also opt to end the attack prematurely, and toss perhaps two Pile Bombs for a much weaker result.

Amoeba Bombs sounds funny, but I don't know that it would work well with the setting of the game (medieval times). Your mentoining of ds, though, makes me think... maybe this should be a learned Bomb attack rather than one gained from a temporary powerup? And the more ds the skill has, the more bombs it splits into, and the more powerful the split bombs are? If it looks jelly-like, it could possibly be a result of BombChemy, and be Water/Fire or Water/Earth/Fire or something.

As for the name... if it doesn't bounce, wouldn't Bouncy Bombs be sort of misleading? What about Gel Bombs?

Powerful Holy Bombs resurrecting a fallen ally would be AWESOME. Would you blow up the dead body, or would there just be a huge explosion and then when the smoke clears, the person is standing in the middle of the blast range? Actually, this brings up a good point. Will anyone/anything in this game leave a body behind? I almost think that they shouldn't. Perhaps, instead of a body, they would just disappear (as usual in Bomberman games) and drop things. I guess a player character would leave a chest or something, full of her/his inventory? Unless they are turned to stone or something. This needs to be ironed out.

A Demon Portal Bomb would also be amazing. I think there should be something like that which would release fire bats or little demons (Little Demons? lol) or something of the sort, strength and size depending on the bomb's ds, and would act as monsters on the player's side.

A general Portal Bomb would be nifty, perhaps the player could set up multiple portals (at a cost) and travel between them within the dungeon, for larger dungeons that require backtracking. They could look like the exit portals in SB4-5. Then, as you said, there could be areas where you could use a Gravity Bomb to destroy the barrier between dimensions, and perhaps set up a Portal Bomb in that area to create a special portal to cross through? I think that could make for some really interesting dungeon designs.

Light Bombs being used for holy purposes would be interesting as well.

A quick note - the Paladin class should probably not be able to use the Shadow element. Or, if they do, it should be at a detriment to their HP.

---

Some general player character stuff:

Character Name
Class
Level
Size
Primary Element?
Secondary Element?

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

4 Weapon slots?

Speed (by tile)
Initiative (for dodging traps and, I think, determining order in battle)

Armor: Head, Body, Arms, Legs, Belt, Neck

Rings?
Shield?

Money
Items

MP
SP
Fire Strength
Fire Range
Bomb Max (Bomb Resevoir?)
Bomb Range

---

The Size would affect the player's build. Armor would affect how the player looks. These things would also affect how the character plays.

However, I think we should have some more personalization that is merely aesthetic. Determining the helmet shape (standard (Bomberman), round, bad-bomber-ish), face color (skin color or just dark (like a bad bomber)), eyes shape and color... And, of course, the helmet, body, arms/legs, hands/feet, and antenna color. Once the player decides upon these things, they should probably be set in stone for the rest of that character's career. Except perhaps armor colors.

Given this, the best possible route for this game may be to have the characters be 3D models, since it would be easier than having a whole lot of sprites. If 3D is too much of a problem, then perhaps only the player characters would be 3D, and all other things in the game would be 2D (faux 3D). It has been done before. Heck, there's a small segment about it on Ragey's page. Even if enemies and such are 3D, the maps don't need to be. Objects and characters can be displayed above a flat isometric background.

Of course, I have been thinking of this game as being isometric, a la Bomberman Wars. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1356s
Index - Back to Top