BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Super Mario Brothers 3 Never Happened.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#19  Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:

So are you saying that your reality is absolutely perfect? That you have absolutely no need to escape? That nothing has ever happened to you that would piss you off, make you sad, or otherwise emotionally unstable? Must be nice.

It's rare, and when it happens I more often just lay down for awhile instead of trying to watch or play something, assuming I don't intend to throw my controller threw a wall. "Escaping from reality" is just a phrase about moving attention anyway. I can "escape reality" by dissecting a movie just as easily as I can trying to "watch it as it was intended". If my focus isn't on my problems, it's all the same. As for this whole "stories are intended to be an escape from reality", why are so many of them written in an attempt to remind you of it again?

Dark Zaphe wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the original image that sparked this thread was a joke, Fireball.

And it's not "ignoring that they exist", whatever that was supposed to mean. >_>
In a story - maybe not something like Mario 3, but in a story - you're supposed to be able to suspend your disbelief long enough to immerse yourself in the story, and then you can experience it as it was meant to be experienced. Then you can discuss, analyze, etc. Otherwise, nothing has any depth and it would just all be about graphics, and picking out which tropes were used in the production, and all the technical stuff.

On a side note, but still related, even actors in a movie or a play are supposed to immerse themselves in the production. If you know anything about acting, you should know that a good actor will be 90% character and only 10% actor while acting (or some slight variation). An actor will get inside his or her character's head, even come up with backstories to the props they use and the costumes they wear, when no backstory is given, at least in theatre.

I guess I just don't understand your point of view.

Also, who would have thought that this topic would stray in such a direction as this? Lol.

Heh, I don't even suspend my disbelief for realities sake. Why should I start doing it for fiction. And I also don't see how that means I can't enjoy movies or understand them *squint*. Good writing is good writing, good acting is good acting. Just because I don't necessarily lose myself in a movie/book/game often doesn't change my ability to observer or understand either. As for actor immersion, that's of course really important, and very incredibly logical. I can guarantee you they're not really doing it cause their so intrigued with the writing. They need to personalize the characters so they can properly do the subtle acting that the directors will never tell them about. I on the other hand, don't.

Again though, we're still talking about the artistic style in a game, not movies. I very much more lose myself into movies then I do into games, despite spending more time on games.

Final note!
"Otherwise, nothing has any depth and it would just all be about graphics, and picking out which tropes were used in the production, and all the technical stuff."
Yeah, kind of like we're doing here *squint* This topic seems similar to me to discussing the makes and models of the set props (or fashion choices, or whatever) and their importance to the story of a movie. Like I said earlier, for a direct comparison, nobody is discussing the story implications of the drawing style of kirby dreamland 3. This is style, nothing more... For saying that's fairly unimportant I get told I can't appreciate the arts *squint*. I do not really lose myself in things, I will always be there to critique things in real time, theorize what will happen next, discuss what is happening, have some popcorn or chat on the web (I watch most movies at home, by the way. Worth noting, as about half that stuff wouldn't make much sense in a theater...). This does not in fact make me an ape.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1516s
Index - Back to Top