BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Roger Ebert: Video games can never be art.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
I can't read that article, not only because it sounds incredibly stupid and ill-researched, but because the website keeps crashing my browser.

But from that quote, and what you said, the man sounds like an idiot.

In a sense, at the core of his argument is this: When you play a game, you are not experiencing anything. Absolutely nothing. If anything, games can be more involving than other storytelling mediums. Because the viewer - or in our case, the player - is actively involved in the story.

I think his only real argument here is that a video game is solely meant to entertain and therefore can't be considered art. Which is kind of silly considering things like music, plays, and movies (basically the very things he acknowledges as art) were originally just means of entertainment and probably weren't considered art back when they were first introduced. But he probably doesn't realize any of that, and probably never will.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Every time someone introduces me to a person like this - doesn't matter if they're talkng about video games or philosophy - it greatly saddens me that such people exist, and will probably not have changed their minds by the time they die. How can someone be so driven by bias as to blind themselves into such foolishness?

He's probably just too bloated from his own arrogance thanks to an enlarged ego, from being an acclaimed film critic and all.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1411s
Index - Back to Top