BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Thinking about getting first new system since N64. Wii?
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:15 am  Reply with quote + 
You'll probably like mario galaxy and mario galaxy 2 which is coming out, they're very mario64-esque except for a tad more linear and directed twords your goal. The 2d mario is also very good (my favorite new game of the last quite a few years actually, as Mario 3 is certainly in my top 5 and it has a great deal of throwbacks to that and world.), and there are alot of other 2d retro remakes which have varying levels of quality (megaman 9, and soon megaman 10, a castlevania remake, a blaster master remake (which i found highly disappointing), a contra remake, among others, especially konami games. Other then those fairly key offerings in my opinion the system isn't all that great, I've played a great deal of the games and few of them hold my interest. The Mario Kart is somewhat better in my opinion then MK64 for racing, but well worse for battle. The smash brothers I have trouble deciding which i prefer. The new worms game (not released yet) looks somewhat promising as it doesn't seem to require waggle controls, but you could find that (and a lot of 2d games) on other systems as well. It probably wouldn't take that long to learn a joystick shooter in reality, I don't play them as I neither like dual analog input for shooters or for that reason shooters in general, but once you get a feel for them it's not that bad. Other games I could recommend for the system is Zack and Wiki which is a pretty hard little throwback to oldschool adventure games (speaking of which there are also ports of the new Monkey Island games, and the new Sam and Max games, if you were ever into that genre), but that's more mentally challenging then physically challenging, it has a bit of waggle for interacting with objects. If you like turn based strategy games the fire emblem game is good though extraordinarily time consuming and ridiculously difficult. There is a pretty good 2d hack and slash game with nice large metroid-ish maps called Muramasa the demon blade, though that can be a tad hardcore at times, only good if you like arcade fighters or brawlers. There is a good Rune Factory game on wii, which is basically a Harvest Moon with dungeons, which may be interesting if you ever played old harvest moon, I'd say it's the best since HM64. The Punchout game is good if you like Punchout. If you liked marvel vs capcom there is a new vs game which is very similar, though with a japanese company most people in the us have never heard of. That is all the games I can think of as possibly notable really.

If you're entire goal is bomberman with random online people you're probably better off with another console due to friendcodes really killing your ability to play with random people and then add them to a list to play later (360 is probably the best for that but with a fee, ps3 is probably the second best). If you want local play the wii will probably be fine, and less expensive. If you want online play with only a few friends it should be tolerable too.

As for this whole return to the old gameplay, while I'm somewhat happy about it there aren't many notable games that bring new ideas to the table, so alot of the time playing new games I have a hard time justifying not just playing the old ones again which are often superior (blastermaster over blastermaster reloaded for instance). Also makes it really hard for me to like the wii as a system nearly as much as i liked any of the systems before it, as the next gen ideas aren't often things i like, and the past gen ideas were done better before when the ideas were pushing some bounds and not just trying to direct nostalgia. I went from not playing wii games in months to playing over 30 hours of dreamcast which i had just plugged in a week, something that i don't theorize will happen on the wii for another decent period of time. I find it alot easier to say old systems like that are amazing systems then any current or last gen systems, as they all tend to have a lot more games that even now I can recommend over anything current. The only current wii games I'll likely replay completley are New Super Mario Wii and Mario Galaxy, both which i've beat several times already.

And yeah, the new mario games really are that awesome :P
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1495s
Index - Back to Top