Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Which is better?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#18  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Before I begin, I will let you know that RPGs are not my favorite genre. But I am deeply distressed by your apparant confusion.

Mighty wrote:
Well to me RPGs are basically games such as Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Monster Hunter.

Here is your first mistake: "Well to me"

Ok. So if I say "Well to me the moon is made of cheese" or "Well to me Michael Bay is not a crappy American film director but instead is a superb Japanese pop star" does not make either of these statements correct. The Legend of Zelda is in no way an RPG. It is what is known as an Action Adventure Game. As stated before, a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game]Role-Playing Game[url] - that is, the video game version - is a type of game which involves some sort of level-up system - usually involving experience points. Again, all video games that are RPGs retain some elements from classic pen and paper RPGs such as Dungeons and Dragons. Basically, you can usually tell if a game is an RPG if the character(s) level up, there is some sort of stat system, and often there is equipment that changes stats. Also, the combat system should be based on these stats.

Zelda is not, in any means, qualified to be an RPG. There is no experience system. There is no stat system. All attacks are based on the weapon you are using. If you attack a monster, like a Moblin or something, and the Moblin has 2 HP, then the Moblin loses 1 HP if you are using, say, the regular Sword and 2 HP if you are using the Master Sword. That's all there is to it.

Mighty wrote:
And I say that those other RPG games have bad combat systems mainly because they are A: Similar to Pokemon.

...What? Did you even watch the videos?

Tales of Symphonia - Multiplayer battle system, you directly control your character in real time. Not turn-based at all, even.

Disgaea - Battles take place on the map, not even at some "strange arena which looks absolutely nothing like we're you are supposed to be". Players move about on the map. This game's battle system is more akin to Dungeons and Dragons than anything like Pokemon.

Phantasy Star - Do I even need to explain this? This is a third-person real-time RPG.

Super Mario RPG - This is more like the Final Fantasy series than Pokemon. It is actually a turn-based RPG, like what you were probably expecting.

Fire Emblem - Ever played a strategy game? What's happening here is that the player commands his or her "troops" about the battle field. When you attack a troop from the opposing side, then that little animation pops up where the two characters engage in a brief scuffle, during which damage is dealt. I'm assuming what makes this an RPG are the experience points, and thus there are likely stats that are effected which affect battle. All-in-all, it ends up like Dungeons and Dragons or Disgaea, but with armies.

Ys - Again, real-time RPG. All the enemies are right there on the map, there is not even a switch to "battle mode" like in Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy Tactics - See Disgaea and Fire Emblem.

Breath of Fire - The battle system here seems sort of like that of Chrono Trigger. There is no change of scenery. Everything is turn-based, yes, but that's a carried trait from classic pen and paper RPGs.

Mighty wrote:
Seriously, I can only imagine that with Pokemon, everyother game to use that kind of combat system looks ridiculous.

This, I don't understand at all. Allow me to quote myself:

Dark Zaphe wrote:
in Pokemon you can only have one (or two?) characters in battle at the same time, you've got like four moves, there's no real equipment

I can only assume you're talking about turn-based battle systems, because that's the only trait shared by any of these games and Pokemon, not including traits that are required for a game to be an RPG in the first place. Even then, three of the games Soniti listed are not even turn-based! And again, the turn-based battle system was developed when the first pen and paper RPGs were being published. Pokemon wasn't even a dream yet. You have yet to explain why you think "that combat system looks ridiculous"...

Mighty wrote:
B: When combat starts, you are suddenly warped to some strange arena which looks absolutely nothing like we're you are supposed to be.

Most of the games Soniti listed do not even do this. Also, in games that do this, the arena is most often styled after the area that you're in. Except in games like Earthbound, but that's supposed to be a weird and humorous game.

Mighty wrote:
C: RPGs tend to have level up systems for characters even though it only seems realistic on Pokemon and Digimon.

Level-up systems are practically the foundation for RPGs. Stats are what control the outcome of the battle - damage dealt to characters and opponents are calculated, and stats such as strength and defense factor in. Also, why does it not make sense that the more a character fights, the stronger he or she gets? Doesn't that happen in real life? The same with speed and such. Honestly.

Mighty wrote:
Here's the real reason I don't try any of those games.

I know that the reason we're still talking about this is probably that you don't want to admit that you were wrong. Apologies if I'm wrong in assuming that this is the problem; I just figure this because I've done the same thing countless times. But the fact of the matter is, everybody is wrong sometimes. It's best to just let it go, bro.

This is all I can do on the matter.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1439s
Index - Back to Top