BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
The end of a great legacy, Toonami Cancelled.
[Replies: 18]  [Views: 6988]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk
Users watching this topic: 2  
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#1  Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-20/cartoon-network-to-reportedly-end-toonami-tonight

RIP Toonami 1997-2008

You were a great source of entertainment in my younger years...
You had such solid western cartoons such as Reboot, Thundercats, and Voltron.
You also had great (yet under appreciated) Anime shows like Tenchi, G-Force, and Rurouni Kenshin.
You were a great topic to talk about with my buds in school everyday.
You were a part of many kids' daily life.

And now, you got axed by the upper ends of the Cartoon Network staff. But not after being defiled by making TOM suck in his 3rd incarnation, being reduced to a Saturday night program in favor of 'Adult Suck', having all anime but Narutard nuked (They even nuked DBZ, for crying out loud!), and now the final nail in the coffin.

First, Fox Kids, then KidsWB, and now this... WHERE ARE MY OLD CARTOON PROGRAMS GOING TO?! :cry: 
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 am  Reply with quote + 
Wow that only started in 1997? Feels like it was before that but hey, my memory dissolves with the rest of me.

I can't say this really bothers me or anything, I mean my brother and I watched it for a few years, but I really, really, frickin hate Cartoon Network anyway. I guess I don't really like cartoons or television in general, with very few exceptions. If Cartoon Network itself went under I would laugh.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#3  Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:19 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, at this point in time, I doubt many people would miss the Channel if it went poof. ALL of the good shows are gone and they're just showing 20 reruns of Johnny Test, Skunk Fu, and the occasional FlapJack/BillyandMandy/Chowder... along with some other sucky cartoons in between.

Adult Swim sucks, I wish they get rid of it already. It was decent originally when they showed shows like Inyuasha and Yu Yu Hakousho, but now they just run their homemade crap during Adult Swim (I'm looking at you 12oz mouse, Squidbillies, Robot Chicken, and all the other crap Tim and Eric made), spam bad rerun shows of mediocre shows like Futurama and Family Guy, and grace us in general with all this pointless fart and gross humor... All just for some quick cash.

Now, I think Toon Disney and Boomerang are better all cartoon channels now. CN has been reduced to being nothing more than a huge steaming pile of crap.

No wonder I don't watch TV anymore, I'd rather play games on it now...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#4  Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:47 am  Reply with quote + 
I haven't watched Toonami for years now but way back I used to love it. This was back from like 98ish to 00-01? I first started watching it when the CG version of the guy from space ghost was the host (Moltar! I had to go look it up. It was driving me nuts) . The lineup then had SailorMoon, Dragon ball Z and Robotech. That was all my starting anime. It was a daily ritual for me back when i was in 5th and 6th grade. I started losing interest in Toonami as I got into more anime outside of television. Sailormoon and Robotech were eventually taken off the lineup and Dragon Ball Z's seasons were getting really repetitive. I got tired of it after finishing the Cell Saga. It was still Tom 2 when I gave it up but he hadn't been around long yet.

Even though I shouldn't really care that much, it's still a little saddening that it's gonna be gone. It was an important part of my childhood too, though i had grown out of it, but every so often I'd be flipping through the channels and see toonami and I'd be like "oh wow, toonami I used to love this!" and i guess i'm alittle sad that won't happen again.

By the way I share the same opinion on Adult Swim. I really liked it early on when it focused on anime but it went crap soon enough. I like to watch family guy once in awhile but thats about it.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#5  Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:24 am  Reply with quote + 
Same here, I stopped watching it around the time I got my desktop and an internet connection in my junior year in high school in 2003. It was around that time when it starting getting major cuts into its runtime and watered down in general.

I loved many of the shows, with Tenchi being my most favorite for it's random semi-perverted humor. I also liked how they played movies for us time to time, reviewed several good video games, and even played some popular music. Man those were the days...

Yea, i only liked some of the anime they had, I hate gross/vulgar humor, espeically if it makes no sense at all in the episode. And I never liked Family Guy/Futrama because they were basically bad Simpson clones in different settings to me.

Oh yea, here's a video of the final closure. Toonami has had a great legacy, I shall miss it greatly. :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsrimilHQM
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
I cannot say I shall notice it missing. The reason being I have avoided American TV broadcasts of all anime on purpose. I do not like dubbed episodes much at all, with the exception of GoldenBoy really. Its dubbing has enough to make me watch it over the subtitled original. Also, I have not had cable consistently over the years so I never got attached to anything.

I always download whole series of what I want to sample or borrow/rent DVDs then make copies of what I cannot watch that moment, then we buy what was enjoyed once the price becomes more reasonable. My wife enjoys far more series than I do and I watch some only because of her desire to watch it, though in the past several months she hasn't watched anything really.

I am guilty of watching South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, and Home Movies. I mainly watch the first three for the references to videogames, but Home Movies is something my wife will watch with me. I watched CodeMonkeys when it was on G4 as well, though I cannot stand the network overall. I avoided those first three shows a lot but they won me over with the references to various things, the characters, or the simple fact I was bored out of my skull.

The sad thing is my health when it's f'd up kills my energy (allergies the doctors say but their solutions don't fix it as much as I'd like) so all I'm good for after work is watching stuff on the DVR, movies, or picking up a game. I don't have a 360 or friends who aren't busy with other things to play my older systems so I avoid games. I've become a gaming hermit, amongst them but not playing them. There are only so many awesome documentaries I can watch before I've seen them all. But I loaf on IRC more than watch TV in the bedroom to be honest, so I couldn't even tell you when these shows play new episodes.

Just my $1.75. Boredom has a way of exposing me to a lot of things others find a waste of time or too popular for their own good. :veryhappy: 
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
I have to say I don't have many complaints against Futurama.... It could be pretty funny, though it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Then again, my sense of humor wanes, and recently is going out of existence.... Humor is a great part of life, but our culture over emphasizes it.... so much, that my own laughter has become disassociated with humor....
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 am  Reply with quote + 
Cartoon Network and Toonami (which was fairly new at the time) was pretty much the death of the last motivation i had in school back when i was in middle school... because while daytime CN (and toonami) were quite cool, midnight to 5am CN (which was also Toonami) was even better.
THE Gold Bomberman
Bomberman

Post#9  Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
Last thing i really got into on toonami was naruto, but i haven't been watching that show for months now. I can't believe Toonami's finally coming to an end. I used to watch it all the time back when it first came on with Moltar, and later Tom. I wouldn't have been the anime fan i am today if it wasn't for this segment on CN. Oh well, i dont watch T.V. very much anymore, so thats that.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#10  Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Network decay is occuring everywhere it seems. Boomerang is still kickin with programs that were good. Adult Swim is dependent on their animes to stay on the air along with Family Guy. When they canceled Brak Show, Sealab 2021, AND Space Ghost (of all things) and started playing 3 anime shows a night (Inuyasha NEVER ENDS) I stopped watching.

Infact, tv has become so boring that I don't even care about switching from cable to digital w/e. No need to if good programming is hard to find.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
I figure if I want to watch a good show, other than a couple that I watch on TV, I'll find it on the internet. Hell, I'll sit and gaze at a wall and come up with it myself in my head and entertain myself that way.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, I agree with looking for stuff to watch on the internet. I quit TV completely other than following sports that interest me and just resort to YouTube. I make and watch videos all day pretty much. On my main channel I have over 150 videos, and at least 40 of them would be Bomberman related if not more. I also made a lot of Kirby videos as well.

But yeah, the internet is a better place to find cool content. The TV only shows certain things and when you go to the internet you can find whatever you want. (Just about)
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#13  Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's funny, the interwebs seems to be the bane of a lot of other media around the world nowadays. Newspapers and magazines are suffering because much of their information can be displayed in online news, blogs, and online journals. People don't seem to want that many CD's anymore because DL'ing single MP3 files of specific soundtracks are a lot cheaper (IE Free) and in some cases less hassling than going out to buy the album, especially when people usually only like 1-3 tracks from it.

Recently, US presidential candidates are having a harder time campaigning because they can't mind *beep* the potential voters into their favor with simple slogans, mudslinging, and dry promises that easily anymore, because much of their background and history is readily available via the net. Not to mention non US citizens can actually input their opinions on the candidacy to their US friends now.

And why bother watching the crap on TV when you can watch all the old shows that were a lot better than much of the programs airing today online? I personally liked the 60-90s cartoons way more than these cheap, glorified flash cartoons. Hell, even Walt's first animations and movies were more inspired than most of today's crap.

Last edited by BlueBomberman on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:03 pm
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#14  Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's true the internet is weakening a lot of industries. It hasn't taken over or destroyed anything yet but it is doing some damage. A number of magazines have been discontinued alltogether.

As for music the publicity of internet is actually helping alot of new/amateur groups and it doesn't seem to be hurting it too too much. I think it'll be a small sacrifice for a big reward in the end.

As for what you mentioned about television. Having the internet isn't really what caused me to stop watching tv. If Internet didnt exist I still wouldn't watch tv, i'd actually be getting around to all this anime and games I have piling up and finishing them. (My computer wastes A LOT of my time.) I don't think people that treasure the tv they watched before and would rather watch that oldschool stuff online would just settle for modern television if they could no longer access old shows/cartoons online.

I just stopped watching tv cause it sucks. I rarely watch more then a couple hours of tv a week and it's been this way for over 5 years now.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#15  Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well now, I'm totally against downloading music illegally, but the artists still get money from songs downloaded legally, though I guess the music producers would be hurt if people only bought online.

And while you're right about your second paragraph, also note that the world is full of dumbsh@%s who are uninformed, ignorant of today's world, gullible, and/or intolerant. Ergo such people, who are make up much of our population here in the States, will not be gaining access to the vast information that could change their vote.

And one of the things that I simply cannot tolerate is intolerance.

And one of the things that people seem to be intolerant of is Flash cartoons. Not all of them are crap. Just most/all (I likely haven't seen all of them) of what they put on TV. Don't lump things together, like when people say all anime is bad or all old school cartoons are good. I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm just saying.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#16  Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:34 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Don't lump things together, like when people say all anime is bad or all old school cartoons are good. I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm just saying.

Oh absolutely. I love anime but it is not "all" good. There's alot of junk in there too. Same goes for tv, I generally don't like it but it's not "all" bad. I'm sure if I watched more then a couple hours of tv a day I'd find things i like, in fact I already know there are things on tv I enjoy watching. Alot of sitcoms I enjoy like George lopez, alot of reruns of odler sitcoms, some cartoons like the occasional simpsons or family guy. I also tend to like gameshows. I don't choose anime over tv because all anime is good and all tv is bad. I just would rather spend my time playing videogames or watching anime over tv because i get a greater sense of satisfaction from them, so I don't bother with television.

This is kind of a side dish and not totally related but I find that tv can only provide me a quick temporary entertainment. I'll get a quick laugh out of something and then end up forgetting about it soon after a show is over. It's fun while you watch it I suppose is the way to put it. On the other hand i get alot more emotionally involved in a game or anime and it stays in my memory a long time and i can passionatily talk about it with others later. That's soemthing i really can't do with tv. I look at a dvd or game i own and a sometimes a swell of great memories will come to mind. I'll remember gonig out shopping for the game or all the long nights I spent working on it and the adrenaline of getting closer to the end, dancing around in my room when i reached the credits. It's great stuff. When i turn on the tv and see a show i like I'll think oh yeah, this is pretty funny sometimes.

Everyone has their own thing but for me tv just can't compare....

lol, oh well. Sorry, I'm finished. Thank you!
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#17  Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:53 am  Reply with quote + 
I was completely speechless to hear what Cartoon Network decided to do to Toonami. Toonami was the reason I liked the channel. Now that its cancelled, I am enraged that Cartoon Network chose some other stupid show over Toonami. The biggest mistake of Cartoon Network: cancelling Toonami.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#18  Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Looking back on this now...

I can safely say that I will probably never watch CN again; I don't even have the channel anymore on my satellite, I got Boomerang instead and it is a LOT better than whatever crap CN has on now.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#19  Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
Heh, I don't even watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network remotely seriously at all anymore. Not in the past few years! :D

Reggy wrote:
I just stopped watching tv cause it sucks.

This just about sums me up. Seriously, to me, television is the very last resort of keeping myself occupied and entertained. I'd always much rather be spending my time playing video games, on the interwebs, or watching a movie or anime or something then watching whatever garbage's on TV. The only times I ever really watch television is when a good movie's on (which I, more then likely, can already access whenever I wanted to without commercial breaks or any of that nonsense) or the occasional good sitcom with one of my parents. That's about it though.

NINJA EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I love the reactions most people tend to give me whenever television or whatever becomes the topic of discussion and I always say something amongst the lines of "I don't watch TV." It's absolutely priceless. :DDD

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2778s
Index - Back to Top