Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Midi the Squirrel Game Demo
Midi
Bombertrainee

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:22 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm too lazy to divide up the quote, so my replies to it are in bold.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time!

Yups. Aside from college and game making, I don't have internet at home, and a cell phone makes forums hellishly slow.

First of all, I have to commend you on the gameplay approach - sort of like taking Bomberman Hero/Jetters and making it into a 2D platformer, but adding in different elements (rolling, wall jumping, elemental bombs) to make it something new.

Thanks! I thought it was a bit slippery myself. I really loved Bomberman Hero, so that's why I wanted to try and get that feeling.

Also, the animation is very smooth. Graphically the game really excels; on that note I do have one piece of advice though - use larger tiles for scenery that will be repeated alot, such as the dirt and stone/metal walls. All you'd have to do is make three more standard-sized tiles for these, and you could still have places where the land slopes or it ends without enough space to encompass a 48 px tile (I'm guessing you are using 24x24 px tiles). It just makes it easier to look at, especially when moving at higher speeds.

Pretty close. 16x24 is the tile size. I was gonna use Megaman 8 style tiles, but then I had some problems with this and that, so I just tried to make it look a bit more Kirby-ish. I am expanding the tile set to give the stages more variety, and also make the tunnel in the intro look less like it was dug out with bricks.

The only bugs I noticed were ones you probably already know about (going down slopes, hitting moving platforms sideways).

I've tried getting him to stick to the slope when he goes down, but it's difficult to make him do it without getting stuck. GM tries to have some parts of physics predone for you, so you have to work around it. But if you think about it realistically, it's kinda hard to jump when running fast down a hill, right? Also, the wall thing is already fixed, but that's not the worst of the bugs I've found. Try hitting a moving platform at the wrong angle! LOL

By the way, I especially like the bomb ammo bar, and the punishment the player must endure for exhausting it. Nice touch.

That's a story element. Instead of using little ammo pickups, Midi just gets tired and needs to catch his breath, and then he can get blasting again. It's his species. He's a hybrid between a mortal and an astral (a being of alto-space). This is an element that will be in the future games too, but don't worry. There are ways of making it recharge faster.

This has a lot of potential if you keep at it. :peace: 

Don't worry, I will! Thanks a bunch!
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1750s
Index - Back to Top