Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: My plan to get a PSP, but I need to know something
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
If you like platformers, then I'd recommend Castlevania: the Dracula X Chronicles. It's a pretty good remake of the Japan only TurboGraphix/PC Engine game, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, which is often considered to be the "holy grail" of the classic platform style games by fans. It also has the original Rondo of Blood and a somewhat expanded version of Symphony of the Night (with arguably better dialogue) as unlockable games for it. I would also recommend Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man Maverick Hunter X if you like the Mega Man games. They're enhanced remakes of the first Mega Man and Mega Man X games, respectively.

As a Metal Gear fan, I would also recommend Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. It's a fun game that revolves around stealth and sneaking past your enemies. While you can go and just play it guns a-blazing, it's usually not a good idea and it's more so encouraged to just avoid enemy contact. The twist in this game is that you can recruit different people to join you and your cause. With that in mind, you can make up to four teams of four to sneak around the different areas in. It also has a pretty good plot and good cutscenes (for a handheld game), although it's loosely connected to another game in the series, it's not enough to make you not know what's going on in terms of plot. Avoid Plus though if you do decide to get this one, though. The story's gone and it has much more emphasis on the multiplayer aspects of the games. And, although not for a little while, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is also looking to be a promising game that plays more like a traditional Metal Gear game (you're completely alone, you have to find weapons/items within the area, etc,) then the other PSP installments.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is another strong recommendation from me, it's one of the few games on my PSP that I frequently go back and play just for a few random battles and such. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is also awesome if you like tactical RPGs.

Patapon's also pretty cool if you're into rhythm games. It's a cute game that revolves around you controlling a tribe of creatures called Patapons and you get to fight monsters and such based on pressing the right buttons and keeping up a good rhythm. It's kind of weird to play at first, but it's fun if you give a good shot.

EDIT: If you want more PS1 games, I'd recommend Metal Gear Solid (if applicable for where you live), as it is definitely one of the best PS1 games ever made. It's got a very good plot, complete with unique, interesting, and mostly likable characters and good plot twists, and it's got unique gameplay (compared to other PS1 games).

Also , if you don't want to get Dracula X Chronicles, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is also a fantastic PS1 game, albeit with some laughable dialogue ("What is a man? Just a miserable little pile of secrets!").

Again, if you don't want to get War of the Lions, Final Fantasy Tactics is a good game as well, although FFT:WoL is arguably better as it has more content.

Resident Evil: Director's Cut is also a fun game (with some scares, of course), although it requires more thinking and avoiding enemies then action. It's also got some cheesy and laughable dialogue ("You were almost a Jill sandwich!", "Take this lockpick. It may be handy if you, the Master of Unlocking, take it with you." being perhaps two of the best and most parodied pieces of dialogue).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0928s
Index - Back to Top